Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Newbie September 2022 Ontario

Choosing Between Venues - How to Decide, Advice, Regrets?

Rachel, on January 10, 2021 at 00:08 Posted in Ontario 0 4
Hi all! Smiley smile Hope you are enjoying your weekends so far. I thought I would come to the discussion board to ask for advice when it comes down to selecting venues. My fiance and I have had some virtual tours and so far, have narrowed it down to two venues that we think could be the 'one'. But, the pros and cons differ from each venue that it's hard to decide what the right choice would be for several reasons.

One of them looks so beautiful that it would honestly be a dream come to life for us to get married there. Plenty of outdoor space, near the water, outdoor tenting area so that if it rains we are still able to have the ceremony outdoors with the scenic background which is a huge plus, most of the inclusions we need and it is pretty close to home. However it is legitimately almost double the cost of the other venue we are considering and the deposit is hefty (for us anyway) and it would be pretty difficult for us to be able to save for our honeymoon or anything else.
The other venue is really nice as well, although smaller, as it's a rooftop patio situation with an adjoining reception area (super cool!). The only issue is that there is no tenting, so if it rains, our wedding will be confined to one room. Due to liability, it would be very difficult to make happen and would be costly. But, the venue is the best deal money-wise I have come across and includes everything. This would ease financial stress and funds to be able to save for a honeymoon and give us flexibility in our budget for our daily lives. But, it is also somewhat far away, so some travel would be involved getting to and from the venue on the special day.
Mostly, I dont know if we go with the expensive one, if it will be worth the extra costs for just the one day, despite the importance of the day. I also am hesitant to book the less expensive one, due to fear of regretting not going all out on our dream venue for our wedding day.
I know this is a long one, so if you read all of that - thank you! I welcome any advice!

4 Comments

Latest activity by Rachel, on January 10, 2021 at 22:52
  • R
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The virtual tours were nice, but we were mostly only showed the ceremony, reception and lobby areas. I hadn't thought of the bathroom area and asking to see the suites - that is something I'll have to ask about! Thank you for your suggestions - you've made a lot of good points regarding the cost analyzing. I'll have to start a spreadsheet! It's good you've really laid out a plan to make sure you and your spouse have made the best possible decision! There's so much to consider, it seems like I should definitely make a system to be able to compare and decide more efficiently. Thanks again!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What was the virtual tour like? Was it a live walk through or is it more like a mashup of videos from other weddings? I hope it was more than a glorified powerpoint at the very least. Did they show you anything besides the ceremony and reception space? When we visited, we requested to see everything: lobby space, bridal suites, the private bathroom (no bride should have to pee on the same toilet as her guests!), the public bathroom, the furniture and linen samples they provide, etc.

I was quoted on 25 venues before visiting 12 in person but I'm apparently an outlier around here - you can see this thread on how other ladies chose their venues (most saw no more than 3 before making a decision). But you do what you think works. I know covid is putting a stop to a lot of plans but at the very least I would definitely wait until you see your remaining two spaces before making a decision. Hopefully the other two will be more in-line with your budget and expectations.

When we were deciding between our finalists, we also cost-analyzed every aspect of the wedding in every possible combination to see which one would work best for us. For example, food at Venue X generally cost more than Venue Y but Venue X offered more options so we could pick a menu that was priced similarly as Venue Y. Alternatively, the space at Venue Y is huge (twice the size of Venue X) and very plain (white walls everywhere with no pillars, no architectural elements to jazz it up etc), which meant we had spend a ton more to decorate it whereas Venue X is smaller, has natural lighting, pre-set mood lighting and drapery that pretty much means I need to spend very little to decorate and that money I save can go towards the more expensive food option at Venue X.

• R
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your input! Smiley smile

That for sure is the case - they're too different to make a reasonable comparison. So far, I've looked online at maybe 20 venues, then actually requested tours for 4 and have done 2 virtual tours and have 2 upcoming physical tours. You're right, if I could find something in between, that would be ideal for sure. Just havent come across it yet, but maybe it is best to keep looking.
    Yeah that's very true, we know that regardless of where we book, other costs will inevitably come up and it probably isnt wise to start off booking a venue with our max budget, as if anything comes up, we won't have the wiggle room.
    As for the virtual tours, I will definitely take that advice. The virtual tours have been fine, but like you say, maybe I'll feel differently about the venues when I see them in person. During covid it's just difficult, but probably worth it not to rush into anything!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel like your choices are too far on the opposite sides of the spectrum to be a fair comparison. How many venues have you talked to and did virtual tours with? If you continue to dig further, I think you can find venues to your liking that aren't as polarizing as your current choices. Maybe a similarly beautiful spot but not as close to home that will be more within your budget?

Personally, I wouldn't book any space that is double your budget. Wedding budgets always balloon out of control without discipline and to go into it with one of your biggest line items over by almost 100% is starting on the wrong foot, in my opinion.

Also, I highly recommend physically visiting the space for yourself to inspect it in person before committing to anything. Not sure how thorough the virtual tours are but when we did our site visits, a handful of our options that looked good online became instant write offs after a closer look in person.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics