Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katherine
Super September 2017 New Brunswick

Chinese dresses

Katherine, on November 16, 2016 at 15:54 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 27
I have found the dress I want, but it costs $1200 at David's bridal and I would need $400 worth of alterations... I've looked online for it and can get it pre-owned for $700 CAD plus alterations... Which is also outside my price range ... It's frustrating because I've seen it on David's bridal sample sale for $230 USD but they don't allow Canadians to purchase online samples (unless I'm misreading fine print)... My last resort is getting a Chinese dress from DHGate have it custom made and hopefully cut down on needed alterations.
Has anyone gone this route? Which seller did you use? I've been doing research and realize there are a lot of horror stories out there but I'm really leaning in this direction.

27 Comments

Latest activity by Cui, on June 1, 2017 at 07:02
  • C
    Newbie March 2018 Chongqing
    Cui ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have bored from wearing always one type of traditional dresses . My sister brought chinese clothing's for her marriage. so i think "Is Chinese traditional clothing are suitable for wedding"?

She brought that dress from cntraditionalchineseclothing.com

chinese traditional clothingChinese dresses 1

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So pretty! I love blush dresses Smiley heart

• Katherine
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The dress Odyssey continues, I have picked a dress maker and style of dress she is going to send me fabric samples so I can choose color.This is the dress that I picked... She is going to drop the ruched waist for me add lace cap straps and make a skirt a bit more A-line... I'm thinking blush... Altogether will be $540 plus shipping... May need minor alterations and 50-50 shot of getting dinged for import duties (customs is kind of random)
    I also have found an acceptable dress in the city... Off the rack and on clearance... It's not what I was envisioning but looks good on me and I know what I'm getting (never thought I would like taffeta)
    I'm not an indecisive person but am going back and forth on this.

Chinese dresses - 1

Chinese dresses - 2

Chinese dresses - 3
  • Maly
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Much luck!! There are still pretty good sites too! There's always something! Don't settle though. Your face in that dress says it all!! You look so happy!
  • Katherine
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So after doing a ton of research I've e-mailed two Chinese dress makers for quotes on custom dresses... Since I just love the shape of the David's bridal dress (the back, the neckline, the ruching and the lace) and don't like the side split or the embellishment at the hip... I could also live without the bead work although it's very pretty... I will try and go to a few more dress shops before making a final decision but it's a pain driving to the city and online seems so much easier.
  • Maly
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks Mel! Smiley winking
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you click on Maly's name it will bring you to her profile- just below her photo to the right you will see an envelope that says "send message"....click there and you are all set!

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can see why you love the dress so much- it is beautiful on you!

• Katherine
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have no idea how to do that... Lol
  • Maly
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Private message me. I think I've got a few options for you. Smiley smile
  • Maly
    Maly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Etsy is a step up from Chinese sites I think? I've ordered tons of stuff from the US on there! Just look where the shops are located!
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love that dress Katherine!! You look absolutely gorgeous in it! It suits you so well! Smiley love The veil is also very pretty! I love the details on the edges! Smiley heart Is this the dress you want to order?

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love that dress on you!!!!! SOO pretty Smiley love

• Katherine
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Still thinking about it... Especially after seeing Amandas dress... It's more the fit of the dress than the dress its self, I would not worry if it's not exactly the same.... In fact simpler would be more my style... Just loved it's lines on me... Only tried it on to humour my sister, lol

Chinese dresses - 1

Chinese dresses - 2
  • Katherine
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Very nice dress. Smiley smile
  • Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Katherine! Welcome to the community!! Smiley heart Wow! Bachelorette party in Vegas sounds like so much fun!!! Smiley love I know what you mean... Spending on a wedding dress can be a big investment. I'm glad you're taking time to see all your options. You could take a look at the promotions on our website to see if some stores would have a discount on your favourite dress: https://www.weddingwire.ca/promotions What type of dresses are you looking at? Are they A-line or Mermaid style? Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Frequent user August 2017 Saskatchewan
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding dress came from china.. Light in the box. Com it is not cheap looking or feeling and it cost me $218.00 ... Ill show u the INE i tried on at the bridal shop and mu dress that came.. The one from the shop was $1200.00!
    I need to get a better bra and a pettcoat but honestly i love it! (Its the dress from bridewars)

Chinese dresses - 1

Chinese dresses - 2
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Good idea! Smiley smile
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sorry ignore my last message. I didn't realise you were in New Brunswick. Check samples and buy off the rack!!! Also check out preownedweddingdresses.com that might help. Sometimes consignment stores have wedding dresses also. That might be something to check out. Good luck!
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know someone who did that and it was a big mistake ! Check out opportunity bridal on Facebook. Alot of Salons are doing sample sales right now! Dont order online, you don't want to regret it later. Sophies bridal has a huge sample section as well!!!
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ah darn!!! Well when is the stagette? Will you be cutting it too close if that doesn't work out?

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is a lot to spend- it hurts me when I think of it too- but then I remember how special our wedding will be to us, and I know I want to feel like a million bucks for it!

You don't get to wear a beautiful gown very often, so treat yourself (within reason)- and don't feel like it's a waste Smiley smile

It sounds like it could work to have the dress shipped to your hotel for your party! fingers crossed that works for you!

• Katherine
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately a trip to the border is not an option for me since we live 3 hours North of Edmonton... We are planning on going to Vegas for stagette party so I could probably get it shipped to one of those mailbox places there.
    While the thought of spending all that money makes me physically ill, I've got plenty of time to decide.
  • Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is it that you just have to have a US address? Because there's a part office near the boarder that let's you deliver there and they hold it until you pick it up for like $10-15. I can find the info if that'll work for you
    But like Melissa said. ..too great a risk for me to take personally. There are WAY too many horror stories

• Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Melissa on this one.. if you have a friend near the boarder who would be willing to make a trip for you ??? Let us know how you make out .,... I hpe you are able to find your dream dress Smiley heart

• Taylor
    Frequent user May 2020 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would not recommend going the chinese dress route. I had a friend who did that and she ended up being out the money she could have used for her wedding dress. Even looking online there are wayyy too many horror stories! What I would recommend is going to some trunk shows (not sure if you have tried that already). My friend who did order from a retailer in China ended up going this route and saved a ton of money. Although I'm not 100% how it works she explained to me that she got money off on her dress because the designer was there to work with her and they allow some pretty amazing discounts! I attached a link below for Kleinfeld in Toronto. I'm not sure if you would be willing to find a different dress - especially if you have found the one you love. If you are I would try a trunk show but if you aren't I would say road trip!

Good luck Smiley smile

Tay

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/search/Kleinfeld/KLEINFELD-Events-TrunkShows

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Smiley sad I feel your pain! Do you have any family close to the boarder who loooove you and could order the sample dress for you? Or a friend who wants to road trip?

I have heard wayyy too many horror stories about the orders from China to think it is worth trying. I think you have a greater risk for being out money, and scrambling to find a replacement dress.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics