Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Terri
Beginner August 2018 British Columbia

Ceremony songs

Terri, on September 28, 2017 at 02:43 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 23

Hey guys so I have not been to many weddings to be able to distinguish what I want.

I am looking for advice for what is normal or not for songs during the ceremony. How many should I typically arrange for, and can it be any song? Is it acceptable to pick any song to walk down the aisle too beside the traditional here comes the bride?

Looking for input, and I know "its my day do what I want", but I am looking for input still for traditional vs non-traditional and where/when to play songs.

Thanks in advance.

23 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on October 17, 2018 at 10:28
  • M
    California
    Margie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wish I saw this discussion last year. It's too late now, but for those who are still planning and still looking for insight, I would like to share a playlist that I created. These are based on the most popular songs of 2018 that most couples requested for the ceremony. These are a mix of classical and contemporary songs.

Please note that you if you are getting married in a Catholic church, they may not allow contemporary music so will have to have to stick with traditional or classical music but still check with the music director. Send them your custom playlist ahead of time.

Here are the parts of the ceremony that needed music along with my list of song suggestions:

- Prelude Wedding Songs (while guests are arriving)

- Processional Song (Groom, Parents, (bridesmaids/groomsmen)

- Bridal Song (including the flower girls, ring bearers)

- Recessional/Exit Song (usually upbeat music)

- Postlude (while taking photos with guests)

I hope it helps. Happy Planning!

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Following! Will definitely need to check this out soon!
  • Frances
    Beginner February 2022 Ontario
    Frances ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was probably one of the MOST helpful discussions I have found on here!

• Tiffany
    Frequent user September 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and I are big music fans! We tried to steer away from the classic wedding songs. I got married 2 weeks ago! Here are my songs:

Groom/groomsmen entrance: Good Life (Cover) - Vitamin String Quartet

Bridesmaids entrance: If I ain't got you (cover) - Vitamin String Quartet

Bride's entrance: The only exception (Cover) - Vitamin String Quartet

Signing: Like I'm gonna lose you (cover) - Vitamin String Quartet

Recession: Home - Edward Sharpe

There's no restriction on what song you want to walk down the aisle to, unless you're holding it at a church or someplace religious. I believe they have limitations. We did ours at our banquet hall.

• Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We struggled with this too!! our wedding is only 20 days out and we still don't have a recessional picked!! we are all walking in to music that is significant to my FH and I. we are having a friend sing while we sign the register, and it's a song that we both love and his mom loves! Jesus and Gravity by Dolly Parton.

Our DJ had some great suggestions that got us going on the right track!

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I struggled with this as well!

We ended up having the wedding party, moms and groom enter to Say You Won't Let Go by James Arthur and for my walk with my dad, we had I Get to Love You by Ruelle.

There are so many good choices, it can be hard to decide!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I love this song!! Ed Sheeran never disappoints!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love the florida Georgia line song that's listed there. I'm a big fan of country and this song is so sweet. also has BSB in it so why would I not love it?! Smiley smile FAN GIRLING

• Brenda
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am using celtic/fairy type music for my guest arrival that I found on Spotify and was also able to save various lists and weed through various harp, piano and flute tunes. I like the Canon in D but we're having a handfasting ceremony so not the usual traditional music. Gary Stadler has beautiful music.I narrowed mine down to 4 so far. Smiley laugh

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used "May it Be" by Enya for walking down the aisle, "The Prayer" for the signing, and "One Love" by Bob Marley for the recessional. These are non-traditional songs but some of the more traditional ones are "Air on a G string" by Bach, Pachebel's "Canon", "The Wedding March" by Mendelson. Listen to these on you tube and see if you like any of them.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and his groomsmen were mingling with guests and were already at the end of the aisle when it was my turn to walk down the aisle. My girls and I walked down the aisle to "Harry in Winter" from one of the Harry Potter soundtracks. Our recessional song was "Say hey (I love you)" by Michael Franti.

I don't think you have to go traditional at all. I think you really just need to pick songs that mean something to you and your FH.

• JENNIFER
    Frequent user December 2017 Ontario
    JENNIFER ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will have (5) songs I think.
    (1) for my fiancé and the guys (tbd)
    (1) for my girls (tbd)
    (1) for me, my fiancé want the traditional “air on G string”
    (1) for signing (maybe) Florida Georgia Line “God, Your Mama & Me”
    (1) for recessional Etta James “At last”
    Johann Sebastian Bach-Air on G String
    Florida Georgia Line - God, Your Mama, And Me ft. Backstreet Boys

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have heard the traditional "Here comes the bride" song less and less lately. We chose two processional songs (one for the bridesmaids walking down the aisle, and one for my mom and I), and one recessional song (everyone walking out of the ceremony).

For the bridesmaids walking down the aisle we're doing a different/slower version of Stand By Me. My mom and I are walking down the aisle to Good Morning Beautiful by Brad Paisley. For the recessional song we wanted something fun, so we chose Do You Believe In Magic? by The Lovin' Spoonfuls.

Don't be afraid to have fun with things. Nothing has to be traditional, it's your wedding!

• Carol
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Carol ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I almost picked that one! Instead I've included it in our wedding CD mix, that will be playing during cocktail hour.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If youre having a DJ they may have some suggestions. But if youre doing a DIY playlist then I have some suggestions if you open to them.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are you having a DJ? or DIY playlist?

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a harpist for our wedding ceremony and did 3 songs. Processional was Jesu Joy of Man’s Desiring...because I love it. Signing was Carribean Blue and recessional was fields of gold. She also played other songs at her discretion up to the processional and after the recessional. I loved it!
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Soo cute!! I love Ed Sheeran!!

• Kathy
    Devoted June 2018 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will have 4 songs total: 1 for bridesmaids/flower girls processional, 1 for when my Dad and I walk down the aisle, 1 for the signing and 1 for the processional. My bridesmaids will be walking to Over the Rainbow/Simple Gifts by The Piano Guys. My Dad and I will be walking to Marry Me by Train. The signing is still up in the air and our processional is Signed, Sealed, Delivered by Stevie Wonder. I think most people are starting to stray away from the more traditional songs and go with what they like instead, which I think is awesome Smiley smile

Over the Rainbow/Simple Gifts (Piano/Cello Cover) - The Piano Guys

Marry Me - Train

Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ed Sheeran - Perfect - Eduard Freixa Electric Violin Cover

My FH and I picked the instrumental version of our first dance song, it is so beautiful!

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There are usually three songs for the ceremony. One for the processional, one for the signing, and one for the recessional. We only had one and it was for the processional, mostly so people knew that things were starting and to stop chatting amongst themselves. We went with a nice classical music piece because it suited the venue and the atmosphere we were going for.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing non traditional songs for my ceremony. I picked “a thousand years “ by Christina Perri.
    I would suggest looking up some examples. Or even picking a slower romantic song. Even maybe an acoustic version of a song. They can be really great. Hope that helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics