Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Dawn
Frequent user July 2018 Ontario

Ceremony Site Fee Issue

Dawn, on April 23, 2018 at 23:33 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 13
ISO Advice!!
I'm having an issue with my ceremony site. they have asked for more money after we had agreed upon a number and signed the contract.
My question is: if a contract has been signed and the amount agreed upon in the contract paid, can they ask for more money due to an accounting error?

Please help! TIA!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Stacey, on April 25, 2018 at 23:24
  • Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Glad to hear it was cleared up!!
  • Dawn
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    They fixed the issue and I didn't have to pay the extra money!!
  • Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s considered a breach of contract. -totally using my HR background Smiley laugh . Legally- you are allowed to redact your contract now as it’s illegal for them to change the contract without the proper notification and amendment created.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No, they cannot legally ask for more money and have to abide by the signed contract which states an already agreed upon amount.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the other girls. If your contract is stating you were locked in at their old pricing, you get their old pricing. That's that.

My contract states that my food prices are subject to change up to 90 days prior to the event, so I know that is in there. (I'm not concerned, it's a university venue so they don't do crazy jumps/changes)... however if they don't have any "subject to change" clauses, and it's been more than a day or two since you finalized, that's their fault.

I'm in the process of signing my contract with my photographer, and she's put in there that we do not have to settle on an exact package yet, because we can adjust as we get closer, but I know her prices are going up, so I want it in signed writing what rate she is solidifying for us.

If they refuse to honour the contract, they need to refund your deposit, as they are the ones breaking it.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this!

Double the fine lines of the contract make sure there isn't anything sneaky mentioned in them...

An accounting error is on them though, that is something they should be checking and double checking before presenting to you.

If they are insistent on it maybe see if they will settle for a half way point between the disputed numbers?

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the other ladies - the point of the contract is to protect you, and the vendor. If it's been more than, say, a week (being generous with the amount of time I'd give them without kicking up too much of a fuss) since signing, they're out of luck.

Once it is signed, it can't be changed do to an 'accounting error' - however, make sure to read the contract. Does it say the price can be changed without notice? If so, you might be out of luck. If not, though, stand firm - you did your due diligence by reviewing the contract before signing it. They should have too. If they want to break the contract, they can but they have to provide your deposit back.

That being said - if you are having issues with your site already, what's it going to be like on your special day? Especially if you don't agree to the updated fees? Will they be more difficult to work with? Will they provide less service? Something to think about.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is safe to say that since you have paid and the contract has been signed, by both parties I assume, then you do not need to pay more. It is not your fault that someone on their end didn't do their job properly. I would understand if they noticed the next day or few days after the contract was signed that they had screwed up but I feel like this is a little late in the game.

• Dawn
    Dawn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The company says it was a typo and it was supposed to be the new price to begin with.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't think so, that is the point of the contract.

I would agree with Jennifer though, if it was like the same day or even within a couple of days of signing the contract and paying it then I would be understanding but anything more than that then I wouldn't.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t pay more. The contract has been signed and they had more then enough time to notice they should have double looked when sent, and when you talked and when you signed and handed in they should have spoke up then. Not after the fact
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is it just the deposit they erred on? I think as long as the total amount paid is still the same, it might be okay to overlook the amount they make you pay for the deposit. If the total amount you have to pay is more, than bow out of the contract. If they host lots of events there, they shouldn't be making mistakes in their contract.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hmmmm an accounting error? Was it very quickly noticed or did you sign and pay and then a few months later they noticed? If they noticed right away there was an error I would probably be understanding but if it’s been awhile I’d have some questions for sure! It is there error not yours so I hope they’re handing this professionally!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics