Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Ceremony musician

Kelly, on March 25, 2019 at 11:30 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 10

We have a really good friend who is a talented musician and singer who we were going to ask to play music for the ceremony. My fiance in particular wanted her to play one of his favourite songs as I walk down the aisle. We haven't asked her yet because....

Our other good friend, who is a world class violinist basically offered to do our ceremony music.

We toyed with the idea of asking both of them...but would that be kinda insulting? These friends are not acquainted. I know their both easy going and very open people and if we asked them to make it work, they would. They're both talented enough to just jump in on whatever the other is doing and make it great.

So here's our conundrum:

Just a single violin?

A folksy singer and her guitar?

Ask both?

What would you do?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Candace, on March 26, 2019 at 13:50
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could for sure ask if they would do it together, they might even make a new friend out of it. If they don't want to work together you could always have one do the ceremony music and one of them do the song when you walk down the aisle if you want something like that.

Talk to them and see what they are comfortable doing Smiley smile

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will keep this in mind too!! That might be alright for them to tag team it!

• Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm hoping so! I've had a difficult time trying to find an example of it. I've tried googling violin and guitar ceremony music and most of it is classical guitar with violin and no singing.

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Personally, I would ask the violinist to play the ceremony, and the guitarist to play the first dance and father/ daughter dance. It totally depends on what best suits your event. Smiley smile
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ask them both! It would be a nice combination of folksy and a violin.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think there’s anything wrong with asking them both. They don’t have to play together; they could each have their own sections. My friend had a few different musicians at her wedding. She had a pianist do the prelude and hymns. A violin duo play during the processional. And a trio sing during the signing of the registry. It worked out well and it was nice to have the different sounds during the different aspects of the ceremony.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honestly violin and guitar can really compliment certain songs together. I say ask them, it can’t hurt and it would be awesome to have them together! Especially if she singer does folky kind of stuff, violins can really compliment that!
  • Kelly
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, we'll probably ask our friend to sing/play and bounce the violin idea off her, just because we thought of her first.

I couldn't ask her just to sing though. Her and her guitar are a package deal. So if we're incorporating the violin, it would be with the guitar.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would ask them both separately if they are willing to collaborate with one another. I'd explain it would mean a lot of they both provided music and see if you can reach a compromise (i.e. one of them sing, the other plays her violin, etc).

I feel if they are both easy going, they'd be open to it and would make the ceremony extra nice!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would see if they would be willing to work together - one with singing only and the other with just the violin. I would ask the friend first if she would be willing to sing to a violinist and if she says yes - then ask the violinist. If she says she would rather not - tell her no problem and then politely decline the offer from the violinist.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics