Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jayda
Newbie June 2020 Saskatchewan

Catering Prices

Jayda, on December 31, 2018 at 13:43 Posted in Wedding reception 0 20
A lot of people are telling me to splurge on food, so what’s the maximum price per plate you would pay?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 26, 2019 at 15:30
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are $105 a plate but that includes the upgraded open bar and late night tables. it depends. find a place that you like to eat at and call them for catering they will give you a deal. you just have to shop around!

• Jasmin
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Jasmin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were originally quoted $150 which was way out of my budget, but were able to negotiate it down to about $130pp - cocktail hr, 3 course meal and late night fruit platter.... it’s more expensive because our venue is a museum and doesn’t include any glassware/dinnerware/linens/staff so our cost per head includes all that. Banquet halls are a lot more affordable because they have everything on site, and I was quoted $100 for the same thing plus open bar! Seriously tempting but the venue didn’t work for us.
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I completely agree, I didn't realize how good the price was until I saw other peoples.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are paying $75 per head before tax/gratuity for buffet dinner. That doesn’t include anything else. That’s the cheapest meal option at our hotel. We are having steak and salmon. We knew what we were getting into as our wedding is in the mountains and it’s a secluded hotel. The food there is amazing. We went for our tasting last month, and we couldn’t be happier. I wish they would have had an all in one package like a lot of people here got. Less stress.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I guess we are the cheap ones here...we're paying 14.50$ a head for a taco buffet (chicken and beef, hard and soft tacos, 14 toppings, Mexican rice, 2 salads), and that includes a chef and waiter on site to keep the buffet hot and filled, set up and clean up, dishes, silverware, serving dishes/utensils. Normally this is 19$ a head, but I negotiated, and we're using the same vendor for our midnight supper (gourmet hotdog buffet with 12 toppings ranging from the usual to chili, cheese sauce, etc. for 7$ a head).

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Mine is $25/head too for a fully stocked taco bar with 3 types of meat, a vegetarian option, guacamole, chips, salsa, rice, beans, and all garnishes. I was happy about the price before, but man am I thrilled now after seeing some of these totals per person!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're paying $120/person and it's including a 7.5 hour open bar, antipasto bar, 4 course plated meal, and a late night table. Where I live, this is reasonable for a wedding during peak season.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours is the top tier buffet option, and it is $47.99 per person. After looking into some different venues, I found that was quite reasonable for what we're getting. Some venues go up to $100+ per plate, if you're including seafood, and some places are as low as $29 per plate...

What I figure is, you get what you pay for. Not necessarily meaning breaking the bank gets you good food, but just be aware, and look at reviews! Our venue's #1 compliment is their delicious food.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We paid $35 a plate for a buffet including 2 entrees, 2 sides, 3 salads, veggies and hummus, and an assortment of cakes and squares for dessert. We also paid $8 per adult for corkage as we brought our own alcohol.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had to use our venues catering, although we can bring in outside catering for late night snacks, I.e. poutine, etc. but we aren’t bringing in outside vendors.

we’re paying $160/plate for antipasto bar, 3 course meal, alcohol/drinks, midnight table.
  • D
    Newbie February 2019 Ontario
    Dorota ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are paying 150 for a 3course meal, 9 hrs open bar, late night table, and our cocktails hr, set up clean up, ceremony, officiant,

• M
    Newbie August 2020 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We chose a venue that requires you to use their in house catering, but we have been to a wedding there before and know that the portions were HUGE so nobody will go home hungry. For a 3 course meal (soup or salad, entree and dessert) and hors d’oeuvres platters that are pretty basic during cocktail hour, it will be about $56 per person and we will have between 90-110 at our dinner (still working on numbers). For the entree our guests will get a choice of chicken, pork, salmon or veg!
  • T
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Trish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are paying $120+ taxes/person for venue, 4 course upgraded meal, upgraded bar, wedding cake, late night snack, DJ, etc........sort of all in one.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are paying about $25-$30 per plate but I know compared to a lot of others we got a good deal. We will have a 3 course meal and we definitely feel we made an awesome choice.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My food price with taxes and gratuities is 50/head. my meal is a family style serving (so platters of food brought to the tables). for the platters/courses we have antipasto, rolls, salad, pasta, 2 meats, veggies, potatoes, dessert platter.

hope that gives you a reference.

I wouldn't say to splurge on your food. but get your money's worth with what you like.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are with a venue in the city with their in house catering! For a full cocktail hour with hors d'oeuvres and a signature drink, buffet dinner with 4 courses, sweet table, late night poutine station and a full open premium bar we are paying $100 per person! We saw ranges from $80-$230 for what we were looking for (the whole ordeal all handled by one place) so we are thrilled!!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, the one thing that we kept running into with a lot of venues that were inside the city was that we HAVE to use their catering and their executive chef - so at those prices we opted for a venue outside the city that allowed outside catering. If you can find a venue that allows it - jump on it (as long as you know some pricing for food caterers that would be a good fit).

You've also still got loads of time though so if you hadn't already planned on going I would recommend any wedding shows near you! They were a great help for us and that's how we found our venue. Here in MB we have The Wonderful Wedding Show in January but for Saskatchewan I found one in October at The Most Incredible Bridal Show that may help out.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    To me the $34-$40 sounds reasonable. It kind of depends on prices in your area. But I think anywhere from $35-$50 a meal is reasonable depending on what you get for that. Unless you are doing something very casual like BBQ.

Trut me food is one thing your guests will remember. Good or bad. It doesn’t have to be fancy food. Just that it tastes good.
  • Jayda
    Newbie June 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jayda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hmmmm. We’re absolutely in love with one venue, but there’s no option other than the food they provide. Meals range from $34-$40 a person, which was way over our budget. Although we’ll have about 140 guests
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be paying $20 per person - but I'm getting outside catering from Danny's Whole Hog so it's really good BBQ for a great price.

Had I gone with a more formal food choice the most I would pay would have been $40 a person but then again I am having 250 people at my wedding and that as is would have cost $10,000 which is not okay. Instead I'm paying $5,000

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics