Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Catering Dilemma!

Holly, on August 20, 2018 at 13:36 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5
Ladies and gents I need your advice!

So with preparing for the arrival of our first child we have been super busy! Absolutely no time to even think about the wedding and we haven't been able to put any deposits down recently due to buying important baby items.

Well we are back at it now! We just booked our DJ today!

But we are having issues with catering...
A while back I had been talking with the catering coordinator from an Italian pizzeria. We decided on a menu, price etc.. but my issue is she seems EXTREMELY unreliable. She would say "I'll email you back mid week with an estimate/menu/etc" and never did.. I was constantly chasing her around for answers.. when we finally got to the booking stage same thing happened.. "I'll send the contract and deposit info in a few days" and never did. At that point I was too fed up to even email her asking a week later. I don't want someone we can't trust for our wedding day, I'd be having anxiety wondering if the food will show or not. So we started looking elsewhere..now here's issue #2. Everywhere close in the area is either booked, not what we are looking for or way too expensive.

So now we have to decide...
Re-contact the possibly unreliable caterer. Or
Book something that we don't really want.

Side note about the venue: it's the barn on the owners home property.. so it is literally just a barn designed for wedding but has no kitchen or large space for food prep. The food will have to be set up in either a small area of the venue or outside in a tent.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on August 20, 2018 at 17:18
  • Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is this caterer also supplying staff? I would be weary, because sometimes restaurants don’t think weddings are worth their time, especially if they have to close the restaurant to pull it off. Also, some vendors seem to purposely delay things so you’re stuck with them.

BUT, I’ve also gotten the sense that some vendors are just so great that they’re busy non-stop and take time to respond. I agree with others, definitely make appointments to discuss details face to face. I find calling is easier than emailing them, as well. Hope everything works out!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would call around and inquire with other places to see what menu, time delivery and pricing can be worked on for your day.

Th other thing is to look at Panera Bread as a back up and assingn someone to pick up the food. They will work with what you need and quantity.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We live in BC so everything has to be done from a distance. We can't meet them in person unfortunately. The only way to actually get in contact with her is email.

We may have a new option. My bridesmaids dad is a chef and has offered to cater! At a good price too so we seem to be saved!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I second what Tori said - definitely the route I would go.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found that it helps to make an appointment where you are talking face to face rather than over email and the phone. Even if you had a little "meet and greet" before - it would be best to sign everything in person and ask any questions there.

With that being said - I would go back to your first choice pizzeria and try and work out all the kinks. Even voice how you feel like the lack of communication makes you feel uneasy about whether they will be reliable for you wedding. 9 times out of 10 they will apologize and try and make the sell - they want your money.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics