Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Annalise
Beginner September 2019 Alberta

Catering costs

Annalise, on July 27, 2018 at 22:31 Posted in Wedding reception 1 15

Hi everyone, wondering how much you're paying for catering per person? This seems like it's going to be approximately half of our 10k budget and we're thinking of a relatively smaller wedding of only 60-75 guests. We live in the central Alberta area.

15 Comments

Latest activity by Paige, on February 13, 2019 at 14:09
  • Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are paying $25 a person. This will be buffet style and include:
    farmers sausage
    bacon
    ham
    waffles and toppings
    homemade biscuits
    eggs Benedict casserole
    fruit trays
    Coffee, tea, apple juice, orange juice.
    As well as taxes, gratuities and whatever other fees.

*Dessert (cookies) isn’t included but being provided by one of his aunties for free.

I’m so excited because their food is amazing and I get my dream: breakfast on my wedding day lol! 😂

i was nervous about the cost but realizing people are paying WAAAAAY more makes me beyond grateful.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Place in Walkerton, on called JR’s kitchen
  • R
    Newbie September 2022 Quebec
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is a great price! Where did you get your catering from?
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are paying $25 a person plus taxes. It is buffet style as well

This includes

Roast beef- condiments

roasted chicken

potato's

veggie melody

homemade buns

2 salads

2 options for deserts

set up, clean up - including all dishes

I found a lot of people charged if they had to do more then just set up their food, this meaning they would charge $3 extra per plate to scrap it off and put it in rental bin but we aren't renting. we need them to wash as all plates were included in the venue. we even had a dishwasher and didn't make a difference.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so jealous of everyone's catering prices! Where I live, the catering is included with most venues, so it's an "all-or-nothing". When I was doing my research into venues, they ranged from $74/person up to $200+/person (food and open bar). Thankfully I was able to find something just right for us that fit within our budget (somehow!).

• Jordanna
    Curious June 2019 British Columbia
    Jordanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married at a hotel where the catering is included. There were different options but we went with the $25 pp ... it is buffet style. We will have chicken, salmon, rice, potatoes, 3 salads, veggie trays pickle and cheese platters, buns (I feel I’m forgetting something) and of course dessert is included.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a pulled pork wedding - it will be a buffet of pulled pork, chicken pieces, caesar salad, baked potatoes, rolls, and we may opt in for some mac and cheese too. If we don't then it comes out to roughly $17/$18 a person. We had to find a cheaper option like this as our budget is limited as well. It comes out to $5,000 after we pay the tax and mileage fee but the tip is at our discretion.

• T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting a taco food truck to do an unlimited taco buffet. It’s $15 per person
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours will work out to about $30 a plate for 72 guests, that will include a salad, 3 main options (chicken, beef or vegetarian) we could have had a 4th option but chose not to and 2 different plated desserts. We decided to pay the extra to have a plated meal instead of a buffet. We also only invited about half of our guests to our dinner the rest will be invited to the ceremony and dance. Our caterer/venue also does not charge for the use of the location you just need to spend a minimum on food or bar sales. We shopped around for a venue that did not charge an arm and a leg for food or that didn't force you to use a specific caterer.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going with a hall for the reception and the beauty of that is the ladies auxiliary club also does catering. Its $35/head (buffet style), we chose this as we are having kids there and they are all picky. Also we are wanting the home cook feel, we love home made, from scratch cooking.
  • Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are paying around $55 per person and doing a family style dinner. We have seen some catering options that were closer to $35-40 per person based on a buffet style. Do some shopping around on for various caterers and what they offer.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m paying $57/ head for our food. It’s a buffet that has a ton of options plus it includes dessert
  • Annalise
    Beginner September 2019 Alberta
    Annalise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Good info to hear!

Yes, we're most invested in providing a very satisfying meal/drinks for our guests and photographer for our memories. Nice to get a feel for what people generally pay though because never had to consider this before (haven't been in many weddings/privy to budgets).

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We ended up paying $40 per person for a two-meat buffet for 85 people. We also provided our own alcohol so had to pay corkage and had a late night snack for 45 people. In total, we paid $7600 for that, including the servers, gratuity, and tax. My friend recently got married as well and paid $26 per plate for family style. But, I would say our food was a lot better! (I might be a little biased though!)

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your venue, dinner and bar are supposed to be about 50-60% of your budget. The cost of catering can be anywhere from $30 per person, to $100+ per person. All depends on the quality, menu, and what's included. Be wary of cheaper caterers, they might have extra fees and charges later (staff, set up, take down, cake cutting, etc). Your food is one of the things everyone remembers, it's a good thing to invest in so they aren't remembering it for a bad reason!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics