Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Catering!

Holly, on March 28, 2018 at 17:03 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21
Let's hear all the unique and different catering ideas!
What food are you having for your wedding that isn't the typical 1 or 2 meats, potatoes, veggies etc?
Are you also having hors d'oeuvres during a cocktail, late night snacks, no sit down dinner? What's your plan? 😊

We are having a cocktail hour during the time we are doing photos, catered by one of my bridesmaids very talented chef father! Then we are planning to have a portable pizza oven making hot and delicious pizzas for all our guests, as well as homemade pasta, salad and bread. Then for the late night snack we are planning a nacho bar! Our catering is definitely the biggest cost of our wedding, and totally worth it!

Let's hear all your ideas!

Catering! 1

21 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on April 18, 2018 at 11:41
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had hors d'oeuvres during cocktail hour while we took pictures. We served coconut shrimp, mushroom bruschetta crostini, and caprese salad skewers. We had a buffet dinner that had 2 salads, 4 veg, 2 meats, dinner rolls and vegetarian pastries for our vegetarian guests, all served buffet style. Then we had vegan brownies and carrot cake and mini pies (apple and pumpkin) and strawberry-champagne cupcakes for dessert. We had sliders for our late night snack.

• Stacey
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Stacey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m also looking into a food truck, haven’t decided yet on what type of food but tacos would be so delicious. I’m a messy eater and knowing myself... I would get it all over my dress haha!!
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds amazing such a good idea!
  • Sidni
    Frequent user July 2018 Saskatchewan
    Sidni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having brunch for supper! Featuring fried chicken and waffles, eggs benedict, hash browns, bacon, sausage, etc. All the things you love about brunch! Of course, mimosas and Italian sodas to go with. For late night lunch we will either have poutine, pizza, or the classic taco in a bag.
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a Taco buffet!

Originally, we were going to do a destination wedding in Mexico, but decided we'd rather have more friends be able to attend (we're still having an 'after party' in Mexico for two weeks though with about a dozen friends joining us!). So we are bringing the beach to our wedding! Sand and seashells for our center pieces, blue silver and white for our colours and tacos!

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well thanks guys, now I'm starving!! All your food sounds amazing!

We had three passed apps (mini crab cakes, blackened chicken, and bruschetta)

Two hors d'oeuvre stations (one cheese and fruit, one mezze)

For dinner we had salad to start and guests had a choice of chicken (it was like a roulade with goat cheese and spinach) or steak, or (vegetarian) risotto, and sides of course

And dessert was pies and donuts

It was an afternoon wedding so we didn't do a late night snack, but we did have a snow cone truck come to give out treats Smiley smile

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so darn hungry reading all these posts... thank geezus it's almost lunchtime...

That was actually our first decision when it came to the wedding - we both hated the idea of a formal sit down dinner so we wanted something more mingle-y. Our venue offers one of the coolest options we found - action stations, so we were sold!

We are starting with tons of hors d'oeuvres (sushi, stuffed mushrooms, sausage and cheese pastries, thai shrimp, strawberry basil shots etc) and then we have two live action stations where chefs cook the food in front of the guests and they can go up whenever they want. Our two stations will be open for 3 hours (1.5 hours each) and starts with a pasta & meatball bowl where you get to choose your pasta and sauce followed later in the night by a jamaican jerk chicken station with all the fixins.

Our desert will be served like the hors d'oeuvres and offers: berry mascarpone cheesecake, mini creme brulee and vanilla bean ice cream topped with a shot of espresso.

Not really traditional but we wanted to do fun & different - plus we have a crowd of big drinkers with an open bar and wanted to ensure lots of solid food in their bellies.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love this idea!!! and honestly who doesn't like them! you can make them how you want

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to do beef on a bun with various salads (veggie salad, pasta salad, bbq style salads) and for a late dinner we aren't sure yet! I love all these ideas on here Smiley smile

• T
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Terri ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a taco food truck ( with a vegan /gluten free option) doing an unlimited taco buffet. I mean who doesn’t like tacos. There will be a surplus of wetnaps on hand don’t worry lol
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahaha I know right same here!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Making a decision on just ONE type of food... impossible I literally wanted it all lol
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yasss I love pizza! Smiley love Since we’re having a farm wedding bbq just felt right - I love all food lol
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We were debating between pizza and BBQ. My heart couldn't say no to pizza though, so our rehearsal is BBQ!! And that cupcake sounds delicious!!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love the sushi cakes! But my fiance HATES sushi..so that was a joke for us too.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Mmm mini beef wellington 😍 my mouth is watering now too!!
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours is a BBQ buffet, we’re still finalizing but this is what we think we want:
    Pulled pork, roasted potatoes with onions butter and dill, baked beans, grilled veggies, pasta salad, Caesar salad, buns, pickles, coffee, tea, juice and for dessert pies. We also have cupcakes instead of wedding cake. One of our cupcake flavours is Gibson’s whiskey which we think for the adults will be pretty fun. Smiley smile We’re still deciding on the midnight lunch... my fiancé wants McDonald’s but I’m not so sure about that idea haha I would like taco in a bag. I love the nacho bar idea!
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing the typical buffet, but it is going to be a big one. In addition we will have cocktail hour with canapes and sushi. Our venue said no to the sushi "wedding cake".

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ours I guess is fairly typical fair, but I'm SO excited for it cause its MOUTH WATERING.

Cocktail hour we have mini beef wellingtons, Veggie Spring rolls with rice paper, oysters on the half shell and Bacon wrapped water chestnuts.

Our meal our guests will have: Red Pepper Soup, Salad (Ceasar or Spring), Main (8oz NY Strip, Salmon or Chicken) and Dessert (Chocolate Molten Lava cake or Cheesecake).

We're doing a late night buffet too of Cheeses, Fruits, pasteries and wood fired pizza options!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a A LOT of vegan food lol and it all sounds delicious!! And the popcorn idea is absolutely awesome, so is the cotton candy! That's going to be a very tasty wedding.
  • Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing hors d'oeuvres during cocktail hour. They are all vegan. For dinner we have a vegetarian lasagna and a vegan braised tofu tangine. Dessert is a vegan fudge cake. For late night we are doing vegan spring rolls, popcorn from an old fashion popcorn machine and cotton candy. We will also be serving our cake, which is also vegan. Only thing not vegan at the wedding is the lasagna.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics