Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marcia
Super August 2018 Manitoba

Cash bar, on details card? mention or not?

Marcia, on April 12, 2018 at 16:34 Posted in Wedding reception 0 15

Hello everyone Smiley smile! I am currently working on my details card and want to know if its rude or not to mention that we are having a cash bar. We are offering complimentary wine at the tables during dinner, but for the social/cocktail hour a cash bar will be open (and all night). The venue we chose also takes debit and credit, so is it okay not to mention it on the details card? If i should mention it how have some of you brides worded it on the card?

15 Comments

Latest activity by JuneBride, on April 19, 2018 at 08:20
  • J
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly. I've only been to weddings that has open bar so I always assume that. I don't bring money with me and give the couple x amount based on the cost of the food and drinks. It's how I was taught.

Personally, I would like to be given notice if it's going to be a cash bar so I know to bring money with me for that.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would put it on your details card. Whenever I’ve been to a wedding and it was a cash bar without warning, people have been a little bit put off. Just saying something like “Reception at x time; cash bar” would do the trick!
  • A
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We choose to put cash bar on our invitations. Our venue bar only accepts cash so we wrote "Cash only bar" underneath the reception info. WANTED our guests to be prepared. We are am having wine on tables with dinner as well
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never received an invitation with a notice that it's a cash bar. But, I don't think it's a bad idea if you have room. You could just say "Reception at this time; cash bar" so people can be prepared. I don't think you have to mention that they accept debit and credit but you can if you want.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have room on your detail card, then I'd suggest adding a tiny one-liner about it. It won't hurt!

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on your family and what they are accustomed to. My family expects cash bars, so they were pleasantly surprised when I hosted an open bar at my reception. My fiance's family on the other hand, only does open bars, so we felt the need not to mention it. If it were going to be the other way around, I would have definitely placed it either in the details card in the invites or on the website.

• Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didnt mention it on our invitations....did not think it was necessary and i wasnt sure if it was going to sound rude...
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would mention cash bar on your invite, only because out of town people might need to budget that into their trip and some people tend not to bring there purse into places. I know if I'm not driving I didn't bring cash to a lot of events.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, I have been to so many weddings where I had no idea if it was cash bar or not prior to the wedding so I load up my clutch with a ton of cash that I may or may not need later... If it's just family and you can tell everyone another way beforehand, that's great, but it might be a good idea to mention something on your details card. That said, you don't want to load it up with too much info, so if you have a wedding website you could make a note on there instead.
  • Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on who’s going to be at your wedding. For me I don’t feel like I need to put it on my invitation because it’s just going to be our family and close friends and an open bar is not a common thing here at all. I’m one of the youngest in my fairly large extended family and I’ve actually never been to a wedding with an open bar.
    but like the others said, if it is more common where you are or if you have people coming from different cultures it definitely wouldn’t hurt to mention it!
  • Alissa
    Frequent user September 2020 British Columbia
    Alissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely mention it! Sometimes with cultural differences people would appreciate having the evening laid out for them. Growing up in an Italian family I had only attended weddings with open bars. The first wedding I went to alone in my young-adult years no one had informed me that western weddings dont always do so. (Which I totally understand and respect! Weddings are expensive!! I just didnt know it was a thing!). Not only did I show up to the wedding with a empty purse, I also accounted for the fact that I am a big drinker and gave the couple extra cash in their envelope to make up for what I thought I would cost them at the bar. Maybe I sound like a big dummy but some people really don't know any different than how they've been taught. If they had just put a simple note on the invitation, I would have really appreciated their courtesy and it would have made for a much less stressful (there was no atm on site!) and costly experience!
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn't put any info if cash bar on my invite but I'm putting cash bar at my wedding website so that way guest can be prepared. I'm also doing cocktail hours and complimentary wine at each table that's why we picked cash bar. Plus to avoid guests getting drunk.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like that, I think that’s a really good way to phrase it!
  • Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Alexandra, Thanks for the response. I think I will write it in. Maybe something like 'A social hour will proceed the ceremony, followed by a sit down dinner in the ballroom. The bride and groom will offer complimentary wine during dinner, a cash bar (including interact and credit) is also available.'

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would mention it. Just so people are prepared financially for the amount they’re going to drink. I haven’t gotten far enough yet that I have much in the way of suggetions on how to word it, but it’s not rude to put it on their and it’s actually better for the guests to make sure they know in advance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics