Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shaina
Frequent user April 2019 Ontario

Cancelling the wedding.

Shaina, on January 13, 2018 at 20:32 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
Hi ladies,
It looks as though we are cancelling our wedding and just getting married at the city hall on our anniversary in April, because after a year and a half of unexplained infertility we are pregnant! I'd rather save the money that would go toward wedding things for baby, but it isn't 100% that that's what we're doing yet... I obviously have to cancel with the ceremony venue (and maybe see if we can get some of the money back, since we paid in full) and the photographer, but would you wait until a little closer to be sure, or cancel right away?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on January 19, 2018 at 11:13
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations and best of luck!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats on your pregnancy.

The venue based on time of the contract may refund 50% back to you. Check what is stated and alog with other vendors.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem. Hope you will be able to get most of your money back
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you ☺
    Makes sense! I think that we're gonna cancel but I need to get through this week of exams at school before I try to start calling places! I'll call next week when I'm started my new semester and I have Thursday's off, lol.
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you ☺
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on the pregnancy Smiley smile

I think the sooner you let the venue/vendors know the better then you can work something out. Depending on your contract you might not be able to get a full refund. But in the customer service industry the sooner you let them know the better chance there will be to get some, hopefully most, of your money back. If you can't get any refunds then talk to your FH and see what the better option could be or talk to your venue/vendors and see if alternative dates are an option given the circumstance. I believe most will accommodate within reason as they still want your business.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good to hear and good luck with the pregnancy Smiley smile
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you explain the situation and with it being still over a year till the day, you may get it all back. I know some places are more flexible with cancelations than others so it all depends. Good luck! And once again congratulations!!!
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes! Exactly. It would be so much better.
    We paid for the ceremony venue in full (only $200) so I'm hoping for at least part of it back. But if we can't get any of it back at least it wasn't hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I get that! I originally wanted to elope so I get what you mean! But I was going to suggest doing a reception still either a barbeque or at a small reception hall nothing fancy just something bro involve family and friends. As for cancelling find out what your fiance wants to do and the do it ASAP! I hope you can get a deposit or something back!
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I guess I'm just going to talk to DF and make sure that he's sure that's what he wants to do then start cancelling stuff.
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I am going to get on cancelling things ASAP ☺
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!

In all honesty, I wasn't looking forward to a wedding and stuff anyways so it's not really a big loss to me. But it may be for my fiance. I think we can work something out where we go to the courthouse and then have a "reception" or a barbeque afterwards or something.
  • Amyfanggg
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Amyfanggg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's great! Congratulations! I would cancel right away as well!
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats! I also agree with Bethany, I would cancel right away.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!!! I'm sure if you really wanted to keep the wedding you could just really focus on budgeting and downsize the wedding. That way you can still have that amazing celebration and also have money for when the baby comes.
  • Shaina
    Shaina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! And that's true! Our wedding wasn't going to be until next April, so they'll have plenty of time to rebook. I guess I need to really talk to my fiance and make sure we're gonna cancel, lol.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congratulations!!! I would talk to them as soon as possible! That way they are able to rebook if they can, I think they would appreciate that more for sure. This must be a very exciting time for you! I totally understand what you mean of using the money elsewhere that's awesome!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics