Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shannon
Curious October 2021 Ontario

Canadian Wedding Tipping

Shannon, on April 5, 2020 at 22:29 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
I’ve heard about tipping vendors on the day of your wedding. How does this all work in Canada and can it considered rude? What did you do for your wedding?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Shannon, on April 14, 2020 at 13:03
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m going to try my best to make a list of who needs tipping and give it to the MOH. Myself and the groom likely won’t have the time to run around doing that
  • A
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hate this. I wish it was all rolled into the cost of the vendor. This is the last thing I want to be thinking of on my wedding day. Did so and so get their tip, should I tip them? I think I will hand this off to someone else to deal with. Ill get a stack of bills and let my MOH decide where they go-haha half kidding, half not.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Tips are completely up to the person. we have a couple vendors that have their tip included in the price and for other we will be writing reviews on all websites. we will give what we can maybe $10-$15 but we dont have extra cash right now

• Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a good point. Some venues may already add that percentage to tip servers/bartenders/kitchen. I suppose you could ask the venue what that tip goes towards.
  • Carling
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Carling ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been wondering the same! Our venue fee includes taxes and a gratuity of 18% so I would assume with that I don’t have to tip anyone at the venue? Would I be right in saying that?
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    A set amount is a good way to stay in budget for sure.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went the same route that Amelia mentioned - and we tipped by amount, not percentage!! If you were to go by percentage it would be waaaaaay more money... We tipped the officiant about $50, the servers a $20 each, $50 to the DJ, etc.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most businesses also ask you to give a good review when you can. If they go above and beyond make sure you sing their praises in their on-line reviews.
  • Shannon
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds like a great rule of thumb. Wine is also a very cute idea!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've heard a rule that if the vendor owns the business you don't need to tip, but if they have staff you should tip the staff. Ultimately it's up to you. If they go above and beyond you can thank them however you like.

Our plan is to tip staff at our venue, and get thank you gifts (probably wine) for our photographer and baker.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics