Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexandra
Beginner March 2022 Ontario

Cakes!!!

Alexandra, on October 15, 2018 at 10:03 Posted in Wedding reception 0 18

Who thinks its worth it to get a wedding cake? Did people actually eat it?

Do you think cupcakes are better?

I was thinking of doing a small wedding cake ontop and a bunch of cupcakes underneath, what do ya'll think?

Share any comments or clever ideas you had.

cake with cupcakes Cakes!!! 1

18 Comments

Latest activity by Rachael, on January 2, 2019 at 20:11
  • Rachael
    Newbie April 2019 Manitoba
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having cupcakes (although I really don’t love them) for dessert; vanilla, red velvet and chocolate fudge made by my Mother-in-law. We are putting those out beside the tea and coffee after supper. For our cake we’re having carrot cake (FH’s favourite) made by his mom and displayed on a cocktail table most of the night. We are mostly having a cake for my FH’s grandmother and some of my older relatives.
  • Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing cookies. I do think it depends on the meal. For us we’re doing brunch so I figured a cookie in the afternoon sounded good rather than a cake. I think we’ll make an extra large cookie to cut just for the fun of it, rather than doing a small cake.
  • Morgane
    Curious February 2019 Alberta
    Morgane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The weddings I went to where there was cake, it was really a sweet moment between the couple. The only thing I would say is if you are planning on having some sort of cake, maybe don't get a dessert. My brother in law had both, and no one ended up having cake because they were full from the 3-course meal. So they went home with almost a full 3 tiered red velvet cake lol

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do cake or cupcakes and no one missed it. The venue had made cakes and squares for dessert, and the late night snack was a poutine bar which was a hit.

I've been to weddings where the cake gets eaten, and some where it's barely touched. I've only been to one wedding with cupcakes and they were brought out with the late night snack and were a real hit!

I definitely think cupcakes are a great alternative to a giant cake, just as pretty, and more affordable. Not to mention, some venues charge a cake cutting fee, so cupcakes would save that cost.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t doing a cake for cutting. But we are having a candy table and cupcakes. They will also serve as our late night snack. Our dinner is a buffet and comes with various desserts.

I don’t think a cake is needed if you have some other dessert. We opted for the the candy and cupcakes more so people would have things to eat later in the evening
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think we're doing a cake... dessert is included with our dinner and I don't really care if we have cake. Unless it's carrot cake. I would probably change my mind for that - and only if I didn't have to share lol
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a wedding cake petfect enough to serve with plated dessert. The other dessert served for other guests not served cake was assorted pastry.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have a cake at our wedding as our venue's menu had a choice of either cheesecake or chocolate molten lava cake for dessert for each guest.

We didn't miss it at all!

Our friends who've gotten married did have smaller cakes, and had the majority of tiers left over to eat. They also had candy tables and some other sweets. I think it depends on what you're doing - if you're wanting to offer candy/sweets I wouldnt' do a cake personally.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhh TWINS! My venue has a s'mores bar option that is included with our buffet package (it's only included on the top tier one)... I'm so excited for it!

We are also doing a small cake (very small, 2-tier, 4" and 6"), so we have one tier to save, and one to do a cake cutting... Then we are also doing 3 different flavours of mini cupcakes. I think cupcakes or mini cupcakes are just so much easier... and then they are already in "portions"... and if you have extras it's easier to package up cupcakes to give out to people than to pack up the remnants of a cake... (I'm going to have a few takeout/cake boxes for some people to take any leftovers.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, I can only recall a wedding cake at one of the many, many weddings I've attended. I think they make for great pictures and I'm sure they are delicious, however, I think they're overrated.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on your venue and your intentions.

If the venue is already offering dessert with your dinner, then I don't think it's necessary to have cake for every guests. That being said, you could always have a small cake for both of you to cut and enjoy.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a wedding cake, but this is a cute idea!

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a wedding cake but we’ll be having it as our late night snack
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We doing a small cake for cutting/photos, and then cupcakes for everyone else!

This photo is my inspiration, but the cake will only be 1 tier and more cupcakes.

Cakes!!! 2

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am doing exactly this- cupcakes and a small cutting cake. Make sure to get less cupcakes than there are people, some people do not eat them!

• Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a cupcake tower with a small 6 inch cake on top for us to cut - about 200 cupcakes.

We do have a dessert at the end of our meal, but thought it’d be nice to have cupcakes as well and fresh fruits.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All depends on your meal is my thought. so our venue does dessert platters of Italian pastries. so we aren't doing an extra dessert. at late night snack we will have either squares or cookies (for those drinkers that have a sweet tooth) with our pizza.
    we are doing a small 6-8 inch 2 layer cake to cut. eat ourselves and take photos. and it wont cost very much.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my wedding we will be having just a small cake for the purpose of the cake cutting ceremony but that is the only cake that will be there. For the guests we will be not only having an array of desserts (dainties) but we will also be having a s'mores bar.

Nanaimo BarsCakes!!! 3

Peanut-butter Marshmallow SquaresCakes!!! 4

Butter TartsCakes!!! 5

S'mores BarCakes!!! 6

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics