Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenna
Curious September 2020 New Brunswick

Cake or no cake?

Jenna, on October 1, 2019 at 20:55 Posted in Wedding reception 0 14
I consider myself a traditional bride, but neither my fiancé or I are cake people. We plan to have a S’mores bar and the caterer is serving dessert with the meal.
Should we have a cake made “just for looks” or forget the idea?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on October 9, 2019 at 04:31
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We ditched the cake and I don’t regret it! I always find them awkward. The dance is interrupted so the couple can cut the cake. No one can see because everyone crowds around the little table. And then nobody eats it. As long as you serve other food late (like the s’mores bar) you’ll be fine.
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We almost ditched the cake idea all together, but then I ended up having the most amazing cupcake I've ever had from a local bakery and I just had to ask her to serve them at the wedding lol we'll also have a little 6" cake for us to cut. But if it hadn't have been for that small moment of fate we wouldn't have bothered and just served the dessert that comes with the catering, and I'm sure no one would've missed it.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't bother with a cake (real or fake).
    The last couple of wedding I've been to (including my own) didn't have cake and served the dessert included with dinner. Nobody "missed" the cake.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cakes can be decoration if you go fake with real icing. It is not necessary to have cake upon you both deciding to skip it.

Do what's best for your day and the dessert that suits you well to enjoy and your guests. The cost is about the same one way or another just to put towards cutting for pictures essentially. Your choice for your day is the most important decision to make.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cakes are super expensive so one just for looks seems like a huge waste. you can make a fake cake. thats what im doing i got some Styrofoam and i got some fondant and im putting some sparklie jewels on the sides and a cake topper and all this for less than $30 lol

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You definitely don't need to get a cake for the sake of having a cake.

You could see if you could get a small 6 inch cake if you want the cutting/traditional aspect of it but again, definitely not necessary!!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are the same! We are skipping the cake and doing venue dessert and pumpkin pie tart favors. Just seemed silly to get a cake for visual effect if we do not want to eat it.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you don't want a cake, don't have one! Dessert and s'mores would be more than enough dessert for me. And professionally baked wedding cakes are crazy expensive so it would be a huge waste of money to have one just for looks. If you really do want one just to cut for photos, you could always get one from a grocery store and jazz it up a little. It'd be much cheaper and can still look very nice.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We ended up doing a cake that my friend offered to pay for was a small 6inch cut cake for $37 and we literally only had it for pictures and had a small piece when cut it and then we never ate the rest of it. We both dont eat cake or sweets. I gave some to my aunt and then to my friend- still had leftovers and ended up throwing out. Only have it if you want it!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just forget it! Cake is overrated lol.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's exactly what we have planned! We aren't doing a cake cake though. Instead we are having a korovai Smiley laugh (Wedding Cakes Discussion - with pics of Korovai)

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The best part about a wedding is it is your day, and if you don’t want something you don’t have to get something.
    Dont feel like you need to get one! Especially if dessert is included. We are doing a small one just to have for the wedding party
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you don’t want cake you don’t have to have one. If you still want the cake cutting photo op you could just buy a small one tier to cut.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you don’t want a cake, don’t have one! We’re having a cake but not serving it! It’s definitely not necessary to have!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics