Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Featured August 2023 Alberta

Buy/rent Decorations or Hire a Decorator?

Brittany, on March 23, 2022 at 11:58 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 7

Hi!

I am looking for ways to cut costs for our wedding. I have a specific vision in mind and although it will not be to expensive, I was wondering what would be the best option!

My venue has beautiful wooden tables and I definitely want to show them. So with that in mind, I would only like a table runner in the wedding colour we end up deciding, cluster of candles in glass vases in various sizes surrounded by rose petals. The caterer is in house and provides the glassware and plates so I would only need to add charger plates and a napkins.

Now, would it be cheaper for myself and friends and family set all this up and purchase these items off of wedding Facebook pages, stores, etc. OR would it be better if I hire a decorator who already have these items and technically rent them from them while also paying for the set up and take down of these items.

Our guest count is at about 65 with the vendors like photographers, dj, etc sitting down and eating as well so I am hoping to do 6 tables with 10 people and then a vendor table.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Tunisha, on March 31, 2022 at 14:46
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have the budget to hire a decorator?
    If so, then you can definitely do that. However, for our wedding, I did not want to spend any more money on decor, I did a simple wine bottle decor with greenery and floral. This way my wedding party and day of coordinator decorated our venue for us. It was so much cheaper. I looked into florist and they were way too expensive for us.
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes yes yes to all of this!!!

Check out Jamie Wolfer she’s a wedding planner who gives free advice! Here’s her video on to diy or not https://youtu.be/nuzdVxpNSmg
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I second Ruby with the Maby Studio!!! She is AMAZING!!!!!

as for whether it'll be cheaper to DIY than rent - its really dependent on what you value your time and time of your friends and family. Do you trust them to handle decorations? do you get access to your venue the day before? do you have a place to store all the decorations before and after the wedding? Do you want to handle reselling all items after the wedding? Just a couple things to keep in mind when going DIY route, as its not always the item costs your need to consider.

• Andrea
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Andrea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would just diy the projects and get some friends and family to help set it all up.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In this case, I would buy your items. You can't "rent" candles or rose petals since they're perishable. And seven tables is pretty straight forward when it's just candles over a table runner.

• A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Take a look at the maby studio! She has amazing prices, works within your budget and has a set up and take down crew. She has been my favourite vendor to deal with and has made the decor process so easy!!!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The route of rental seems easier as to saving space for keeping after the wedding plus you can have the time with the family to set up the tables. It will save the cost of purchasing and hiring a coordinator for one day work.

I had a total of 72 guests which the tables were easy to have a centerpiece set with the help of in laws placing colour waterbeads in each of them. Favours were also set up on the tables with Thank you cards seating wise by my husband and myself. The same for menu cards.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics