Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jenn
Devoted August 2025 Ontario

Budget Question/opinion

Jenn, on October 4, 2021 at 15:25 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 10

Hey Everyone,

After 3ish years of being engaged, and having to postpone planning due to layoffs, non-payment from employers, and of course, COVID, I have slowly started to get back into the swing of things. Hoping to be able to get things on the books for late summer 2022, into spring 2023 (we figure we've waited this long - together almost 8 years, engaged since Feb 2018, that we can wait a little longer for the "day" we want)

One of those things includes revisiting our budget and the budget calculator - which is why I wanted to get some opinions on some of the costs usually included in the "wedding budget'

My FH purchased our bands the same time he purchased my engagement ring - and they have been paid off for about 2 years - would you still include this cost in the all-around wedding budget? Or would you consider the cost a non-factor since they are paid off so far out from the actual big day?

A similar thing is my wedding dress - I ordered it in December of 2018, and it was paid for a taken home early 2019 - would you still consider this cost when building out the budget? Or again, would it make sense to remove it since it is so far removed from the rest of the expenses & the big day?

I just wanted to get a feeling for where other's mentality sits on these items, as I keep going back and forth as to if they should be included (and take away from our decided budget) or if they should be omitted...

10 Comments

Latest activity by Smith, on November 12, 2022 at 18:53
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wedding expense items not purchased by you should be part of the budget to know where your total cost would be vs. the calculated. It does help to know though the help of someone else doing it as a gift is nice.

I know my parents bought my wedding outfit as well as paid for the rentals of the vases/floral ball topper and money box.

• Jenn
    Devoted August 2025 Ontario
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks all for the food for thought - you are all awesome sauce!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think I would include it for myself I think I'd like to see the total price and it would make me feel good that it was already paid. Now that we are getting closer I love putting the paid in full into the budget. Don't forget about possible alterations for your dress though.
  • Emily
    Beginner December 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would omit those things! It’s been long enough now that you’re not financially recovering from those purchases anymore so why should they have anything to do with your present budget?🤷🏼‍♀️😁
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you can include whatever you want. For example, we kept rings out of the budget because we didn’t want to feel like we couldn’t buy what we wanted.
    Also since you’ve already spent that money you can just create a budget that reflects what additional amount you’re willing to spend. At the end of the day the money will be spent at one point or another.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would still put your bands in with your budget

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with still including it. It's a wedding expense regardless of when you paid for it. I personally wanted to know the grand total that we spent, mostly out of curiosity, but also because at some point it's ridiculous. The wedding bands were included in our budget but they are also something we are wearing for the rest of our lives (literally the only thing you pay for that you'll pay attention to everyday for the rest of your life) so the price was merely a number.
  • Meghan
    Devoted September 2022 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would still put it in the budget even though its paid off its still a wedding expense

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are not including our bands in the budget. My fiance got my bands with my ring as a set. Since we are contributing equally to the wedding budget, I didn't want him paying for half his ring since he paid for my set of 3 rings!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Everything that we had to spend money on, post-engagement ring, regardless of when we spent it, went into our budget. The dangers of omitting things from the budget when they're paid off is that you risk spending more. For example, if you wanted a $20K wedding but omit the costs of rings and the dress, or anything else that you fully paid for, you might end up with a $25K wedding because of the mentality of now "having the wiggle room."

But if you're looking to start from scratch and want to put a dollar amount that you're saving/building towards for future costs of the wedding, then you can omit it. For example, let's say you think you can scrape together $15K to spend on the upcoming wedding based on your circumstances. I would omit the rings and dress since it's not something you need to save up for.

We paid off our clothes and rings well before the actual wedding date and when the government announced the 3-Step reopening, we basically started from scratch since we axed our original plans, but still included the clothes and rings in our revised-budget. But in our case, we wanted to be strict with our final expenditure. It also really forced us to not over-bloat our budget.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics