Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Caitlin
Frequent user May 2018 Ontario

Budget brides

Caitlin, on December 22, 2016 at 12:23 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 37

Hey everyone! I'm recently engaged (like as of last weekend) and wedding planning has begun! I'm curious as to what everyone is doing to ensure they're saving costs and staying under budget?

We are cutting out flowers, favours, and making the cake ourselves. Where are you saving costs?

I've reduced our budget by at least 2 thousand by cutting these things out!

37 Comments

Latest activity by Daphne, on March 8, 2017 at 10:11
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided at the very beginning that only the essentials are what we would spend on because at the end of the day, most people won't remember the small details of a wedding, so why spend on those things.

Flowers are being limited to the brides bouquet, flower girl petals, Groom's boutonniere. We're still undecided on whether the MoH, Best Man, and ring bearer will have the equivalent, but odds are we're going to skip them or find a cheaper alternative.

We're having a small wedding and found a planner with an all-in package that includes most all of the essentials, so we're definitely saving on costs that way too.

• Brenda
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Very beautiful congratulations! Budgeting on mostly everything. The venues are the biggest cost so it's sale hunting and making centerpieces and greenery etc. A cut here a cut there but it could all still be beautiful without it requiring a body part.
  • Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

ouch! that's so crazy!! We've seen some around here that offer 120$ per person all inclusive (so includes rentals, decor, food, etc). But that's just crazy!

• Yoko
    Newbie September 2017 British Columbia
    Yoko ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow thanks for the info! How reasonable!!! Restaurants in Vancouver want a $20,000 buy out and $110 per guest as food and 2 drinks.. sucks.
    I'm still looking
  • María
    Featured Valle del Cauca
    María ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wohooo, Im very happy to know your bridemaids said yes! Smiley smile

Choosing the venue is not an easy task, buy Im sure you could figure it out with theses advices:

5 Things Every Couple Should Know Before Booking Their Venue

Also you couls talk to Lindsey taht was also asking the Community about some saving tips Smiley smile

• Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The date wasn't super important, just something we looked at the calendar and settled on. I think FH was a little iffy on changing it last night, but once he realized the price he jumped on it Smiley tongue So they date will likely change to a week later, which I'm fine with! It's a very beautiful location, I used to go there a lot when my dad would golf, and a few years ago they had to completely redo everything due to a fire. So its beyond beautiful now! Really can't beat the price though! And the catering is reasonable as well, everywhere else we were looking at 40+ per plate, and here we're looking at roughly 30.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is BEAUTIFUL Smiley love I love how bright and open it feels. Was your date very important to you? I feel like changing just a week either way would be totally worth it for the price and based on these gorgeous pictures!!

• Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Written by Yoko:

Cited message

Written by Caitlin:

We MAY have found a venue! I love it, it's beautiful Smiley smile It's not quite what I was looking for, but it looks wonderful, and the price is right! The only downfall, is we'd have to change our date. We'd have to go a week later, or a week before.

What venue did you choose and what's the price associated? Is there a view? What's the capacity? And min spend?
    Do you have to decorate and set up and take down?

The venue is Deer Run Golf Course. It's 500$ to rent for the reception with a $500 non-refundable deposit (so 1000 total), plus 500$ for the ceremony. Includes set-up, take down, cake cutting, tables, chairs, linens, podium, microphone (even has wifi...). Their food is very reasonably priced (approx. 25-35$ per plate depending on what we order).

It's definitely a beautiful location. The capacity is up to 250, which is great considering we are staying around 100. !
    We also have a choice of bar as well.

The grounds

The grounds

Inside example

Inside example

Inside Example

Inside Example

• Yoko
    Newbie September 2017 British Columbia
    Yoko ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    What venue did you choose and what's the price associated? Is there a view? What's the capacity? And min spend?
    Do you have to decorate and set up and take down?
  • Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We MAY have found a venue! I love it, it's beautiful Smiley smile It's not quite what I was looking for, but it looks wonderful, and the price is right! The only downfall, is we'd have to change our date. We'd have to go a week later, or a week before.

• Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you!

We are struggling with finding a venue in our price range, especially since there are only 2 wedding venues in our location, and the rest are halls , which I'm having a hard time with LOL.

There is a huge dress sale in London/Sarnia I plan to go to and get my dress, up to 90% off designer dresses! So that will help out drastically!

• Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Preparations are going... we picked out bridal party and my girls all got their invitations and said yes Smiley smile
    I'm stressing out a little about a venue, where we now plan on getting married (Chatham, ON due to all our family being there) has very little in choices for venue. There are only 2 venues that are actually really nice that I want, but the costs are a little steep for deposits. A little tough , but we'll figure it out Smiley tongue

• María
    Featured Valle del Cauca
    María ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow, Nigara falls! super amazing place Smiley love

Maybe it wasn't how he planed but, the Sky Wheel is also fabulous, you would never forget it! Im so happy for you too Caitlin Smiley heart

And how are you preparations going? Smiley ring

• Tiffany
    Frequent user September 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Your color scheme and decor choice is romantic and beautiful! I want to incorporate some fairly lights as well (but i haven't gotten too in-depth with my decor planning yet) Smiley tongue

I am under my budget for the venue by having a friday wedding, and under my budget for photography as well. I am opting out flowers like you and incorporating more leafy greens instead and limiting my centrepieces to be no more than $25/table.

The venue we choose is beautiful by itself, so we will probably have minimal decorations. (But again, those fairly lights look beautiful, I NEED to somehow incorporate that!)

I think you can definitely save a lot of money by buying an off-the-rack wedding dress. I ended up ordering one... lol. That was not the plan, but it was still a lot of $$. At least I'm under the budget I allocated to the wedding dress.. or at least that's how I justified it to myself Smiley laugh

Sending out e-invites, and buying bulk flowers from Costo would be my other suggestions for cost savings.

best of luck! please keep us updated!

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing is going with prices for things in our budget and have also save money by getting items like bouquets, invitations, bridal accessories on sale.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I tease my FH all the time by saying the theme of the wedding is "not what I wanted any way, so now we are going with the cheapest option possible"... To save money I bought my dress off the rack on clearance, omitted save the dates, cash bar, buying flowers from Costco in bulk and doing bouquets and centerpieces our selves, cutting the photographer (a family member will do portraits), DIY invitations, getting the local Girl Guides to cater, and taking advantage of any special skills or talents our friends and family may have... I wanted an intimate court house wedding followed by a barbeque in his mom's back yard (would have cost $1500) he really wanted and is getting the large family affair so saving by cutting guest list is not really an option... Since the footprint is so much larger than my original vision, I'm also trying to be socially responsible by using recycled paper choosing a venue where all profits go back into the community, picking a not for profit caterers, we are also looking into donating the florals to the old age home the next day.
  • Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh! Good idea!!! I'll definitely start looking for them!

• Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you! Smiley smile

My proposal was amazing. He took me to Niagara Falls for the first time, his boss paid for our dinner at an amazing restaurant. The weather was really crappy, so how he wanted to propose didn't happen, but I prefer the way he did it. He was going to propose in front of the Falls. But the roads were SO icy we were having a hard time walking on them. So we went to the Sky Wheel, and when we got to the top he kissed me, pulled out the ring and said "Will you marry me?". It was simply perfect. I don't think he was nervous at all, usually he stumbles on his words, or actions, but he was so confident. Smiley smile

• María
    Featured Valle del Cauca
    María ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Caitlin, welcome to the WW Canada Community!

Im so happy for your engagement, congratulations Smiley heart , you have amazing ideas for your big day so far and we are very happy to help you with everything you need.

Staying under budget is not an easy task, I recommend you these tips to avoid goging over budget:

10 Ways to Avoid Going Over Budget on Your Wedding

5 Easy Ways to Save Money on your Wedding Dress

And since you are looking for a hotel reception, here are the Ontario hotels.

I love the color palette purple and gray, these disscusions are perfect for your wedding:

6 purple bouquets

Who is getting married in purple?

Wedding colour trends 2017

I'm so happy to read you here! I just can't wait to hear all about the rest of your wedding planning! Smiley shame

How was you proposal? Was he very nervous? Smiley love

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's so exciting! Keep us posted and take lots of pics when you visit venues! Can't wait to hear more!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's so great your FMIL is such a help! We love crafty brides in here!!!! Best thing to do is get fairy lights now! Because then they're "Christmas lights" not "wedding lights" and they will be MUCH cheaper!!!
  • Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It definitely is very magical! I absolutely love the idea so I'm going to play around with it a little and see what I can come up with Smiley smile I can be pretty crafty, and between me and my future MIL, I think we have a great shot of coming up with something amazing with fairy lights! The lighting they give off is awesome too, which is why I'd love to incorporate it into the draping!

• Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's going. We have a few appointments set up for the next month to try and find a venue we like. I fell in love with one, but its sadly out of our price range Smiley sad. So we're looking for another. I did really like another option, and we have the option of going in while its all decorated for a wedding so we can see the whole shebang! So I'm looking forward to that for sure! Trying to stick with hotels, but the ones we've looked at have all been "eh" and really dated. Hopefully next month we have our venue and we can start searching for vendors!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Looks gorgeous!! I LOVE that draping! Hopefully your venue allows it (though I don't see why they wouldn't). And I love that second centerpiece, it was in my inspiration pics before I changed my mind... they just look so magical *swoon*
  • Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Haha that's good! Purple is my favourite colour too and we did plum and charcoal. Smiley winking How's your venue search coming along?

• Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hope so! Purple is my favourite, and I just love the way the lilac and grey looks! It's very soft, which is what we're going for Smiley smile Getting my red-necked FH onboard was actually not as hard as I thought it was going to be , he loves it!

• Samtam
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ooo I love the lilac and grey theme! That will be so lovely!

• Caitlin
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

head table

head table

centrepieces

centrepieces

These will be a lighter softer purple as our theme is Wisteria/Lavender and Grey. And likely won't have the flowers, still playing around with that. But I love it Smiley smile

OR

centrepiece 2

centrepiece 2

theme

theme

And I'd love to do this if the venue allows!

And I'd love to do this if the venue allows!

• L
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Linzer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yay happy to!!
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Agree with Val- Pictures please!

I"m also planning lots of fairy lights and soft lighting- so romantic!

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Whoa- I'm sending you a PM! It sounds like ur plans might be pretty darn similar Smiley smile I would love to bounce ideas off you!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OOOOO let's see those inspiration pics!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics