Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Miranda
Newbie October 2022 Ontario

Bridesmaids Hair & Makeup

Miranda, on January 19, 2022 at 20:44 Posted in Beauty 0 18
Just wondering if other brides out there are having a dilemma about whether they should pay for their bridesmaids hair & makeup to be professionally done, or ask the bridal party to cover it? (Already asking them to pay for their dresses most likely)..
Input please!

18 Comments

Latest activity by KELLY, on February 23, 2022 at 15:32
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our kids (aged 14-25) specified they didn't want gifts for being a part of our wedding we are planning to pay for their hair, makeup, dresses and suit.

• A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Forgot to mention , I am giving them gifts at our Bachelorette party and day of the wedding (something they can actually use over and over)
    To say thank you for all their help and everything they’ve had to pay for !
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My bridesmaids payed for their dresses but I have them a few different styles and price points they could decide on.
    I found hair and makeup lady and I gave them the price and option if they wanted it. Because they are paying for it I let them decide what hair style and makeup style they want
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a situation where someone was supposed to come do our makeup, but they couldn’t do it anymore. But the idea before all that plan was for them to do it themselves. So, we fell back on that plan. It turned out great, they all looked beautiful and not too much happening. Also, they bought their own dresses and shoes but I made sure that those were not expensive at all.

If its within your budget and you’re willing to do it for them. You can go ahead and do it for them.
  • Farrah
    Curious April 2023 British Columbia
    Farrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the suggestion!!! I think that's the route I'll go Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maybe you could offer to pay for either hair or makeup? Maybe they would rather do their own makeup but wouldn't mind someone else doing their hair or vice versa? My friend paid for a manicure or pedicure for the girls....
  • Jenna
    Newbie June 2022 Ontario
    Jenna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am paying for hair and makeup as their gift Smiley smile I did however ask them to pay for their dress! I hope this helps Smiley smile
  • Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In my case, most of the girls were okay paying their hair and make-up. Some are doing their own make-up. I did a bridesmaid proposal and am spending on other things for them to thank them so I didn't have it in my budget to pay for their hair and make-up on top of that. They did seem all cool with it and I always asked them their opinions before booking the MUA or hairdressers. I found good prices for them. They are also paying for the dresses, but again took the time to ask what they liked and go with their body shapes. They all are happy so far with their dresses.
  • Farrah
    Curious April 2023 British Columbia
    Farrah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm having the same dilemma! I've thought about potentially covering 50% of the cost should they want to get their hair/makeup done, but I'm not requiring them to do so for the wedding. But then I'm also like well is it weird of me to only cover half? Like either cover it or not at all? Lol I don't know!!! The caveat for me is I have 6 bridesmaids and 1 maid of honour so it's quite a bit for me to pay for everyone's hair and makeup, on top of me paying already for both the mother of the groom and my mom's hair and makeup.. I'm also not requiring a certain dress either. They are running the look by me so that colours can be cohesive, overall work together but that way they don't have to pay for a dress they don't like/want/don't feel good in.

• Brittany
    Featured August 2023 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since I am having a summer wedding, I am offering to pay for manicures/gel nails and pedicures and they can opt to pay for their hair and make-up professionally done if they wish to do so but I am not demanding a certain look so if they want to do their own they can.

My MOH is a hair dresser and has done tons of wedding parties so I think she will be doing her own hair but will pay for a makeup artist.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if its in your budget, it could be a nice gesture towards your bridal party, kinda like a thank you for all they have done for you up until that point. But I don't think you need to feel obligated TO pay for them. Or maybe you pay for make up and they pay for hair. You could also ask your party - maybe they are fine with doing it themselves.

Personally, I have only my MOH so I am going to pay for her make up, as well as my mom and if my MIL wants, her too. Its within my budget to pay for 4 people.

• Jenelle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that there really isn’t a “one size fits all” answer here. How I’m doing it (and what I’ve encountered in the past as a bridesmaid) is that my bridesmaids’ hair and makeup is completely up to them - meaning that I fully support them doing their own looks based on what they’re comfortable with. There will be professionals available should they choose to have their hair/makeup done, or they could seek out their own artists/hairstylists, however, that would be at their own cost. I do agree with Hank though that if you are mandating that they have their hair and makeup done by the professionals of your choosing, then it would be more courteous (though of course not mandatory) that the bride cover the cost in that instance. I think if that were the case for me, I personally wouldn’t feel right in making them pay for it, unless I was very upfront about it right at the beginning when they were agreeing to be part of the party. Hopefully that’s of some help!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're demanding a certain look and style, or that your bridal party use the professional make up or hair artist of your choice, then I think you need to pay for it. It's not fair to force a vendor and their prices based on what you choose onto your bridal party.

If you can't or don't want to pay for it, I don't think you should be able to demand how they get their makeup done.

My 2 cents.

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine bought their dresses, but we paid for hair and make-up. Don't feel pressure to do that though. Only if you have the room in your budget would I ever consider it.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is definitely not in my budget to pay for my bridesmaids hair & makeup. Im very lucky that my maid of honor is a hair dresser and has agreed to do hair if everyone helps with curling the hair. Then I gave them the option to pay for their makeup or do it themselves. All my bridesmaids opted to pay to have their makeup done. I think if you are requiring them to have their hair and makeup done, it should be paid for but if it's optional then it's fine to ask them to pay.
  • Jacquie
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Jacquie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was not able to afford to pay for my bridesmaids makeup/hair. One has decided to pay for it on her own and the other is doing her own hair and makeup.
  • Katie
    Frequent user June 2023 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey there! I have been having that dilemma as well, but I think I will tell them I’ll pay for their hair and makeup, they will just have to cover the cost of their dress. Would love to hear others thoughts as well!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda Online ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only have my MOH and she is paying for her makeup. I have my aunt doing our hair who is a hairdresser so we're not having to pay for that. My MOH has also paid for her dress as well.
    You don't need to feel obligated to pay for hair and makeup if you don't want to pay for it. If your bridesmaids have an issue they could always do there own makeup and hair if they wish

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics