Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alie
Frequent user September 2019 Ontario

Bridesmaids dresses

Alie, on August 19, 2018 at 23:00 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 18
Who typically is responsible to pay for the bridesmaids dresses... And the groomsmen suits/tux??

18 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on August 21, 2018 at 18:35
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My girls are paying for the dresses and the boys their own suits! I am paying for my girls to have their hair and makeup done and for the guys buying ties and accessories! Maybe send them all off for a fresh shave too haha!!
  • Alie
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks. That dounds like a great idea
  • Holly
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids will be paying for their dresses and my groomsmen will pay for their suits and we will pay for their tie and pocket square

• Alie
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have an idea... Doesnt have to be exact... Just similar
  • Alie
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great photo!
  • Alie
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks !!! Has anyone ever hear of female ring bearers???
  • Alie
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This helps alot too. Lucky for me my maid of honor is my fraternal twin sister... Lol... .. Then I have 2 friends.. So its not huge....
  • Melissa
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on your budget. I was in a wedding party where I had to buy my own dress and pay for my hair and makeup. It wasn’t a big deal because the bride searched for very affordable options. For my bridal party, I didn’t have the budget for it but none of the girls seemed to mind because I only had minimal rules that were never an issue and I respected their budgets. I was going to pay for hair and makeup but the girls told me they won’t let me. I think that if you have a very specific vision or one that’s out of most people’s budgets, it would be courteous to pay for it. However, I think some people (myself included) accept proposals to be in wedding parties knowing full well it comes with a cost so it might be a conversation to have!
  • Petra
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Petra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was planning on paying for my bridesmaids’ dresses because I wasn’t sure how it usually goes. We started talking about dresses and planning and I said how I was gonna buy them bla bla and they all said nooo we’re buying our own, that’s how it goes. So I guess that’s what it is but I know a family friend who is getting married and she’s paying for their’s so I’m not sure how it goes but I think it depends on what you decide with your bridesmaids
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say it should be the bridesmaids and groomsmen to pay for their dresses/tuxes. If your budget allows you and FH, go for it.

I said straight up to MOHs that i wasn't paying their saris or alterations being part of the wedding. They were ok with it and found the colour in the price range suitable.

Find a medium of what price range they can all afford and go from there.
  • Alie
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi. Thats a great point aswell... Something to think about for sure... I kinda fell in love with the one on the very right...

Bridesmaids dresses 1
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t have a very popular opinion with this. But I feel if you are going to dictate what someone is going to wear then you should pay for it. So if you have a particular dress and colour you want them in then you should pay. Let’s face it nobody wears them again. If your only requirement is the colour then I think it’s ok to let people pick their own dresses and pay for it.

Again if you want all your part to have their hair and makeup done then you should pay for it.

I know now it’s a popular opinion but I don’t feel like your wedding party should be forced to pay for your vision. That’s a big financial commitment. And if you can’t afford to pay for everyone’s clothing then you should either reduce the size of the wedding party, or let them pick their own.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been in 12 weddings. I've bought all of my dresses except 1 wedding (I was a teenager in my aunt and uncles and they bought it for me). I know that if I get asked to be in someone's wedding (and I say yes) that I will be paying for my dress, hair, makeup, a bachelorette, bridal shower and 2 nights in hotel (as you have to be there the night before the wedding).
    I had a friend this past year pay for her bridesmaids dresses as she did a destination wedding (so her bridesmaids forked out a lot of cash) and she bought the infinity wrap dresses (for like 50 each. so it was part of her present to them).

• Alie
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You have great advice. Thank you
  • Alie
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sweet! Thanks for the great tip!
  • Alie
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks! Im still so excited i cant wait!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It all depends on your budget. But nowadays, no one really expects the bride/groom to pay for the bridal party outfits. They are generally expected to pay for their own dress/suit... which is another reason brides are becoming more creative with their dress choices, so girls feel like they are getting their money's worth, and able to re-wear the dress.

Also, rentals for tuxes/suits are much more cost effective for the gentlemen. However, some people opt to do a purchased outfit if they are keeping it more basic (dress pants, dress shirt, shoes... maybe a tie or bowtie)... Once you add vests, jackets or other accessories, purchasing those items are very expensive.

We are having the guys rent tuxedos, and my bridesmaids will all be in the same designer, length and colour, but have free range to find their favourite style/neckline etc...

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The wedding party usually pays for their own outifts - the only time that they don't is if their clothing is going to be their gifts from the bride and groom. (At least in my own experience.)

Because the wedding party will be buying their own dresses and suits - they can get almost anything that they would like as long as it meets my top 3's (colour, length, neck line).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics