Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kim
Devoted June 2022 British Columbia

Bridesmaid's dress doesn't fit anymore

Kim, on March 7, 2022 at 18:42 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 12

Before I say anything I'd regret, I'd like some help finding options.

I've been asking both of my bridesmaids recently if they've tried on their bridesmaids dresses at all recently to ensure they fit properly and get alterations if required. I've been assured their all taken care of and everything is fine.

I saw one of my bridesmaids for the first time in a while yesterday, and she had put on some considerable weight (I get it, covid's hard). After asking her again in person if the dress still fits, she insisted all is fine.

Then last night, a few hours later, she texts me saying that the dress doesn't fit at all after trying it on again.

I'm trying to be empathetic that this is probably hard for her, but this has me really stressed out. We're coming close to 3 months until our wedding and there aren't a lot of options.

When we first ordered the dresses, they took almost 2 months to arrive. Because of this, I've told her that she may need to order a new dress right away to leave time for any further alterations. However, I just looked at the website we got them from (Azazie) and they retired my colour. She could get another colour that's similar, but I'm worried that she'll stick out like a sore thumb.

The other option is for her to try and lose some weight. However, that's not the easiest thing to do, and I don't want to count on that and give her pressure.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I don't want to hurt her feelings, but this is really stressing me out.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Savannah, on March 8, 2022 at 15:03
  • Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would suggest she try around to see about alterations. I have my vow renewal wedding in a month and have my dress in at DB where I bought it as I recently had a baby and was concerned with part of the fit. While it didn’t have to be fixed they noticed a part that they didn’t like how it was originally tailored and said they would fix it and that it was a 4 week turnaround but they’d try to get it done earlier. Maybe suggest she calls around to see what places turnaround times are. I know some also offer a rush for an additional fee if you’re concerned. Also when originally purchased my dress they said dresses can be taken out up to 3 sizes so it may be possible that they can do so your BM can feel comfortable while still wearing the dress you originally chose 😊
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with other members in the chat- take the dress to another store and compare the colour BUT be sure to look at in in different lights (daytime, fluorescent etc.) to be sure it is as close as it seems..... you don't to find out the day of the wedding it was way off....

• Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good to know, thanks!
  • Rebecca
    Beginner August 2023 Nova Scotia
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It could be worth taking the dress to different stores to use as a swatch. It's not ideal but I know David's Bridal is having a promotion on BM dresses right now. So it might be worth checking out if one is near you!
  • Hailey
    Expert June 2022 British Columbia
    Hailey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As others have said I would look at a seamstress and see what can be done.
    seamstresss aree pretty amazing! One time I had a dress that was too small and my friends mom took the zipper out and made a corset back so it would fit again the looked amazing!!
  • Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It sounds like that would be the best option to start with. Going to have to move on that!
  • Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    From what I'm told, the zipper won't go up at all. It did fit when we got it a year ago and apparently did around Christmas.

I'm only having two bridesmaids, and they are wearing different styles in the same colour. My other concern with getting a different colour is that we got the groomsmens ties to match exactly with theirs. If we get a different colour dress for her, we may need to find a new tie that matches it so it looks a little more intentional.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would definitely talk to a seamstress first to see if there's a way around this issue. They might be able to work some magic before you decide to go the other route of getting another dress

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely check with a seamstress/tailor first. Get a professional to see how off the dress size is to her current size and then see if there's enough material to let out the dress to fit her current size (knowing Azazie and how the dresses are priced, it is doubtful but doesn't hurt to check).

You mentioned she can't zip up - as in nothing moves or it can go partially up but can't close? Does everything else fit (bust, hips) or is that also too tight? Unless your bridesmaid changed that significantly, not being able to even move the zipper whatsoever might mean she actually bought the dress in the wrong size. Azazie has a knack for not matching up to North American street sizes so if she assumed and bought her size based on what she gets at a typical retail store, it's likely that the dress never fit in the first place, especially if she's the curvy type.

Are your other bridesmaids wearing different styled dresses in the same colour? If so, I think you can pull off the mismatched but coordinated look since everyone will be different in some way. If you're truly concerned about the colours not aligning, perhaps some of the other girls can give leftover material off their dresses (if they had alter by to trimming length) to your bridesmaid to use on herself as a ribbon or accessory to balance the colour back in.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yeah I think she'll be okay, just definitely try and get into seeing someone sooner than later. I know alot of seamstresses are filling up fast.

• Kim
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's a great idea, there are lots of seamstresses out there, and perhaps one of them can work some magic. I've read a bit about adding a corset instead of a zipper, and that may work if we can find somewhere that does it.

As for how off it is, she didn't say exactly, just that it doesn't zip up at all.

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Kim,

This can be a sensitive subject on either side. Did she mention how far off the dress is from fitting? Has she seen a seamstress? Depending on the dress, its possible it can be taken out a size to fit better. I would really recommend her going to chat with someone before looking for alternatives, as sometimes those seamstresses can work wonders!

Alternatively, she could try hitting your local buy sell groups on Facebook, as maybe someone is selling your color in a dress her size. Especially because that site is quite popular right now, you never know what someone else might be selling.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics