Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Curious September 2019 Manitoba

Bridesmaids' Attire

Michelle, on January 10, 2019 at 13:54 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 17
Im curious as to what others are doing. Are all the bridesmaids wearing the same dress? My bridesmaids range in age from 16 to 45 so their fashion styles vary. The 16 year old is alright with a similar dress but in a shorter style. What about shoes? Should all the bridesmaids wear the same shoes?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Gina, on January 26, 2019 at 12:54
  • G
    Newbie May 2020 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I picked the color of the dress and each brides maid will pick her own style of dress all from the same website.

• Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing similar colour palettes but different dresses for each. Similar to this:

Bridesmaid dresses that are all different but look great together.Bridesmaids' Attire 1

• Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh also all of my girls attire and shoes as well as the guy on my side, will be paid for as their gift. I will say that was the plan even before we found such affordable items lol.
  • Paige
    Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was honestly one of my biggest stresses. I really prefer the look of the same for both dress and shoes so my two girls are wearing the same. I had so much trouble finding what felt like the right dress. It’s a floral midi dress that both girls would be happy to wear again which made me super happy. For some reason each size cost something different so they were $27.99 and $34.99. I found my dresses were even prettier in person, I’m a little sad this photo doesn’t quite do it justice. They won’t be wearing the belt and they’ll have little purple shrug cardigans (one bridesmaid really wanted her arms covered) and white shoes.

My MOH is a guy, and he’ll match the groomsmen.

Bridesmaids' Attire 2
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In my side of the bridal party, I have two gals and one guy. My FH is going to have 3 guys.

Everyone is going to wear the same shoes, chuck taylors - we are buying them as a gift for the bridal party. We are hoping no one will object to free shoes that can be used day-to-day later.

Ideally, I would like to have the bridal party matching. I would not be making the decision solo...give guidelines on a few thing like length (my dress is going to be tea length and not have much if any detailing so not longer or more blinged out, nothing too crazy) and give swatches for colour. With only two gals, I am hoping it wouldn't be that hard for either of them to agree on one dress! lol

Hardest part will be trying to figure out how to coordinate the guy's outfit in my side of the bridal party (colour-wise or in some element). I've seen a lot of ideas on-line and Moore's apparently matches colours to David's Bridal. Hopefully, something will work out easily. :-)

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    All of my bridal party will wear the same dress and very similar shoes. They had the option of mix matching but all really liked the same dress and I wanted them in the same colour so that’s how we made that decision. As for the shoes, the dress they picked shows the shoes so they all will have similar shoes but with different sized heels
  • Erin
    Curious April 2020 Alberta
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I ordered swatches from a few different places and have come up with the following solution.

Babaroni has great prices and has a colour I like that is the same as another store so my girls will have 2 choices to order from. These dresses are around the $80-$150 mark which is great for those on a budget that secretly hate my colour and will never wear again.

Then I really like the dresses from Revelry, but these dresses start at the $150 mark and go up to $250. Revelry also has great 2 pieces so the girls have more choices.

So Essentially I have picked the fabric & colour and will let them choose whatever they want. I would rather let them choose then have the pressure of 1 hating the dress completely & being uncomfortable.

I was thinking of doing different colours and lengths but in the pictures i've seen it draws your eye away from the bride.

• Julie
    Expert March 2019 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have 6 Girls in my Wedding party. I didn't think it was possible & still don't, to get all the Girls to meet at 1 time. I was having major surgery in Sept which I'm still recovering from & unable to drive.
    One of the tasks I took on b4 surgery was to find bridesmaids dresses on a budget, in our colors & that would suit/fit sizes xs -4X, ages 15 - 47... What an undertaking!!! I went to every bridal shop in Town & ended up right back where I started which was at the wonderful bridal shop where my Mom & I had found our dresses. We have such a connection to the shop owner that shes on our Guest list. The Bridal shop owner offered all 6 dresses I chose that I liked for $225.00 ($250.00 with tax) no matter which dress. (The next best price I'd found was $270 b4 tax & i didn't like the dress.) That was a great discount which I knew b/c I'd certainly done my homework. She ordered each dress in szs Lg to 2x so the majority of Girls could try on. I then posted pics of all possible dresses (my phone went nuts with I hate that dress but love this dress, I'd prefer sleeves etc to the loved "it's your day, whichever dress you choose, will be good with me) I gave a 2 wk frame ending 1 wk b4 my surgery for the Girls to message me with an appt date & time which I'd make myself available for to meet them & my Mom would try to come as well. My Mom is my BF & goes to & is all about being by my side ❤ The Girls went to their appts & I definitely had some strong reactions which I kept track of in my Wedding book. To say it was a stressful 2 wks is such an understatement!!! There were 2 stand out favs. My 1 MOH & Godaugher couldn't go till the last day. In the end all the Girls liked the dress or agreed that "my day etc" The Girls gave their deposit & the dresses were ordered. I did one heck of a happy dance!!! What a weight off my shoulders. Not having to have that stress while recovering was worth (almost 😉) it. Then came shoes... My Mom & I looked everywhere as well as 1 of my MOHs. I ended up asking the Girls to choose a closed toe (March 23 Wedding) & the color silver and to choose whatever shoes they'll be comfortable wearing. The Girls have recently purchased their shoes ranging in price $20 - $49.99. I have 1 Girl who needs shoes but she doesn't need any alterations so it's ok. In my experience the bridesmaids dresses have been in the top few of Wedding stresses but that is also due to the fact that I put all that pressure on myself and had a surgery to deal with. As far as the bridesmaids dresses now, the shop owner has taken over since the fittings which I appreciate! She will call this week to set up alterations in Feb & is letting them know the cost in case anyone prefers to take their dress elsewhere. I am very pleased with the dress. Silver & sparkling silver are our other colors so I like that the belt ties in. I also like that a wrap comes with it so they'll have it. Now its time to get the Guys tuxedos! 70 days to go. eek

Bridesmaids' Attire 3

Bridesmaids' Attire 4
  • Deborah
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Deborah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am choosing to ask my ladies to pick dresses in dark gem tones(emerald, sapphire garnet, black) . With my budget, I would like to be able to help my bridesmaids if they need it, but I would love for them to chose a dress they love or that they already have that fits the colour, so they can feel comfortable purchasing it. I have no preference for length but I would like to ask them to avoid glittery dresses because they don't match the rustic theme well. I have two bridesmaids a maid of honour and a matron of honour. I would be happy if they were all in different colours or if the bridesmaids and/or moh's have matching colours. I'd like like to ask them t avoid my dress cut/ shape, but I feel like that is normal.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I haven’t made any final decisions yet but I have 4 bridesmaids (including the MOH) and I was thinking of having 2 in teal and 2 in purple. I was thinking of having all dresses long but they could pick them out since we are all in different cities.
    All my bridesmaids are taller than me and have the option to wear either silver heels or flats.
  • K
    Frequent user August 2024 Quebec
    Karine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm actually not sure what to do... I was thinking on asking them to buy all the same multi way dress in the same color and have them wear it the way they want... But I don't want to force anyone to buy anything for my wedding... So plan B is they all wear a black dress and I'll provide some accessories that goes with my color pallet! We'll see, the wedding is in 2-4 years so I have a bit of time to talk to them Smiley smile
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am somewhat leaving it up to my girls. My sister is my MOH and she is in Australia. So ultimately I am giving her the first pick. I am giving her the designer and colour. And would prefer the same fabric for everyone.
    Then when I take the other 3 girls here to get dresses they can decide if they all want to be different or the same.
    For me as long as the colour and fabric are the same I will be ok. Would also prefer them to be long so they can wear the shoes they want!
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend had her wedding last september and was same age ranges. Everyone wore the same color, designer, length, she choose few designs she liked and everyone got to pick the style. Didn't matter the age it looked beautiful on all of them!

• Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids are wearing pink dresses but I told them they can wear whatever they'd like along as I approve it, the length is bid-calf, and they don't clash! We are having a more rustic wedding so we are good with the cute creative way the colours will go with each other. My FW's bridesmaids will be wearing green and have the same idea. Two kinds of greens but look nice together. I was thinking something like this.

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

All of my bridesmaids are in the EXACT same colour- Marine from Davids Bridal. But they each have a different dress. Most went with a halter type dress, with one having a high neck, and one having thicker straight straps. I think it will all look good! Then having them wear the same bracelet, and same colour shoes (nude).

• Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have 3 bridesmaids of the same age but different heights and sizes. I tild them they can pick the style dress they wanted as long as the colors match. They ended up picking the same dress since it fit them all nicely and allowed them to chose if they wanted to wear a bra under or not (which was one of their concerns).
    Since theyre wearing long dresses, i told them i didn’t really care what shoes they wanted to wear..as long as they dont wear colors that are really flashy. They will be in royal blue dresses so anything gold/silver/nude/black i really don’t mind.

A trend i noticed that I liked was the mismatched bridesmaids, different color dresses and different styles, sometimes it can look really great!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well, here is what I'm doing.

I told all my girls (5 including the MOH) that I really want them to all where the exact same colour/shade so that means it will most likely have to be the same designer (don't worry - I will hopefully find a cheaper one so that they won't be paying crazy prices!!) but that they can choose most of the aspects of the dress.

The only thing that will be a stand out will be my MOH which will have the option of choosing the length of her dress and the bridesmaids will do the opposite (unless they all want the same and the MOH is okay with wearing a belt or something to show she is MOH).

They still have the choices of: neckline (just not a V-neck like mine), straps/strapless/halter etc., ruching, pleating, etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics