Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fernanda
Newbie August 2020 British Columbia

Bridesmaid - what is the limit?

Fernanda, on March 13, 2019 at 18:17 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
Hi ladies.
Can anyone give me advice on what is the “norm” for the number of bridesmaids?
I’m not originally from Canada and was used to seing up to 12 couples in weddings.
Would 8 be okay ? What do you think?

thank you 💕🤗

Bridesmaid - what is the limit? 1

18 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on April 20, 2019 at 05:48
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's totally up to you and how many close girlfriends you want to have stand up there with you. Most of my friends and I opted for 3-4 bridesmaids that were close to us and were reliable. Remember, the more bridesmaids you have, the more drama. So pick wisely. I've seen and also been a part of wedding parties with 8-9 bridesmaids, there will be disagreements and some people won't click. So pick people who will make you happy and limit the stress you will need to deal with.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is definitely no wrong answer for this, it is 100% personal preference. I had 3 people stand on my side and my husband had 2 people. Just pick people who make you happy.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is honestly up to you how many you want! Just remember the costs also go up for you as well because of gifts, bouquets and all that. I have 6 bridesmaids and I wish I would have had 7! It is so hard to choose

• Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m having 2 maid of honours and 6 bridesmaid so 8 ladies in total for me and same for my fiancé. So our bridal party is 16 in total plus us is 18. Then we are having ring barrier and flower girls so go ahead girl. 8 is the limit for me. I know some people who do 10 but then pictures start to get far range as the group is too big.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Go for it!! Completely up to you and your FH! The more the merrier!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really love the look of big wedding parties! I say go for it!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do what makes you happy, if having 8 is what you want - DO IT!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There is no limit, but I'd say the 'average' is 4-6 couples for most weddings. Sure there are weddings with more, or less - none are right or wrong.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think there is really a "limit" - I'm not having any bridesmaids at all, just a maid of honor. It's really up to you!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm glad you're going with all 8, it's your day and you get to pick who stands up there with you!

I will be having 5 BM and my FH is having 5 GM. (And I think my parents had either 7 or 8 each!)

P.S. Congrats on the engagement and welcome to the WW community!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with everyone else that you do what feels right for you. I personally have never heard of a limit, just maybe space at the alter or transportation wise, it could be a factor.
  • Fernanda
    Newbie September 2021 British Columbia
    Fernanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much for your help and useful links!!
    I will try to keep it as less as possible but will have to stick with 8. As you mentioned, it’s OUR day so OUR rules 🙌🏼😬

• Fernanda
    Newbie September 2021 British Columbia
    Fernanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks ladies for all your help! 🙏🏼
    I will try to stick with 8 - as you metioned, it’s our day! ♥️🤗
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think 6 would be my limit personally. I have 5 and gifts for them was pretty expensive.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do whatever you want! There is no limit at all. It's all personal preference. For me I only have 4 bridesmaids and my fiancé has 5 groomsmen. We are also having a smaller wedding. But friends if mine have had 8+ on each side and there are a few in here with large numbers too!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Gorgeous dresses! You do whatever you want to do. It’s your big day and you should be happy. Have as many people up there with you as you want ☺️
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Welcome to the WW community!
    I agree with Valerie that the norm is what YOU make it.
    Here’s a bit of history to help you make a decision: https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-ideas/history-of-bridesmaids.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Fernanda,

Congrats on your engagement and welcome to the WeddingWire community!

I think the "norm" will depend on each brides experience, feelings and opinions on the matter. You'll find out, pretty soon, that traditions and etiquette are guidelines that can be bent or nixed pretty easily. The easiest answer is : Do what you feel is right! Smiley winking

Here's a good article about your question, from The Knot : https://www.theknot.com/content/how-many-bridesmaids-should-i-have

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics