Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Christina
Newbie May 2022 British Columbia

Bridesmaid Weight gain - dress don’t fit anymore 😕

Christina, on February 5, 2022 at 01:25 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 9
Hi all,
So like a lot of Covid brides out there me and my girls have all had our dresses hanging in the closet for two years. My wedding is in May, and one of my girls has told me that the dress no longer fits her.
She’s seeing the same lady who did my alterations and I’m hoping that she’ll be able to work some magic. According to my GF she was nowhere near getting the zipper up and said ‘well she’s hemming it so hopefully she can use that material to extend the zipper area.’ (I don’t know if that’s a thing? If it is - awesome!) The problem I’m having is that if the dress can’t be salvaged I don’t know what to do. They take 4 months to order from the bridal store and nothing is local in her size and the same colour as the other dresses. My mom paid for all the dresses and I feel like a horrible friend (she’s been my best friend for 30 years) even thinking about asking her to drop 10-15 lbs (which can totally be done safely in 4 months). (She’s put on at 40-50lbs)I understand it’s been a rough couple years for her (and everyone) but a part of me is a little pissed that it got this far and this late in game where we have this problem. I fee so stuck with this I don’t know how to handle the situation.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Mary, on December 20, 2023 at 15:00
  • M
    Newbie February 2008 Yucatán
    Mary ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also gain weight before the wedding, I was not happy about it.

• Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depending on where the weight is, and the type of dress style/material, it's totally doable. I've done some alterations on my own clothes, and on costumes for theatre.

I'd ask the seamstress about two side seam panels. That will the dress look the most similar to the others dresses without drastic changes.

Do you know how wide the opening is in the back? I've added two 5 inch V panels to a costume before. Depending on the size of the opening, will depend on what's done with it.
    Hank's suggestion of a corset back is good, maybe a combination of side panels and corset to make it look more intentional (if you're ok with a different back)

• Courtney
    Newbie October 2022 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello, some seamstress's can do wonders! I believe that is an option. There would be a hem line at the back where the extra material has been attached but honestly it will probably blend well enough. Most pictures are from the front or side anyways. A lot of peoples weight have fluctuated through this pandemic and it would be really tough and probably awkward to ask her to try and lose some weight! Though I can also see it from your side where if you get a dress gifted to you, you should be mindful that you cant get another one without paying for it yourself. If you have been friends for this long, she should be understanding of the circumstances. Maybe have any open discussion about all options : altering, buying etc and just leave it at that. At the end of the day you don't want to be stressing about her dress when you have everything else to think about! All the best!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know what 50lbs translate to in terms of dress size, but if it's significant then she might have to change the zipper into a corset in order to close the dress.

• Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have thought of online but then I'd be considered about the colour matching. They're wearing the same designer just different style dresses). I feel like i'm being so petty but when you've had a vision for so long its hard to let go or adapt to something different.....keeping my fingers crossed for the seamstress, thank you

C

• Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I haven't checked with the shop as of yet...waiting to see what the seamstress says. I do have another dress currently on order because I added a third bridesmaid last year (ordered end of Nov, not due here till March....cutting it real close!) If a rush option is available then we could do it but only if she paid for it. I know there's other dress companies out there (online etc) but I'm also concered about colour matching. The girls are all wearing the same designer just different style dresses to compliment them. They all look amazing in them but I'm just stuck right now. Thank you for the well wishes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed too

C

• Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You may be surprised with delivery times. I was quoted 3 months for my dress to arrive and it came in 3 WEEKS!!
    I've heard really good things about the online stores for bridesmaid dresses, fast shipping and being able to get custom fits. Maybe if the seamstress appt falls through you can check there?
    Hoping for the best for you.
  • G
    Curious October 2022 Ontario
    Giuseppina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Christina,

Ahh, that is a tough one to handle. Does the bridal shop have options for a rush order in case the seamstress cannot do the alterations to fix the dress? If that option is available ( I know that for any rush orders there is an additional cost ) I would maybe factor that in. Especially if you want all the bridesmaids in the same colour/dress. Maybe have a conversation with your friend and mention how it means a lot to you, to have her in your wedding, and if she is okay with covering the costs for the new dress/rush IF the seamstress cannot fix it.

Best of luck with this and I hope it all works out!

GQ

• Christina
    Christina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Clarification - it was my gf who said she was nowhere near getting the zipper up, not the seamstress. That appt is coming up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics