Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maegan
Frequent user August 2021 Ontario

Bridesmaid not joining in

Maegan, on June 12, 2019 at 11:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13

Hi all!

So over the last month my bridesmaids and I have started looking for their dresses. I wasn't planning on going this early but one of my bridesmaids has to move out west by end of July now rather then October, so its now or never.

Anyways 3 of my 4 bridesmaids have been great about the move up and came to two dress appointments no problem. I asked them all to give me a list about a month back of available dates and what wouldn't work. They all gave me a bunch of dates and the previous two were all on dates when everyone was supposed to be available. However, my FSIL, who is also a bridesmaid, has told me both times that she either didn't want to come or had made other plans for both dates. At first I cut her some slack as shes getting married in August and so is busy. However, she gave me very few days to begin with that would work and is now not coming on those dates anyways.

Over the weekend I booked what I`m hoping is our last dress appt (the first time was chaos, last time they were wayy too pricey) I double checked they were all available for the date (2 weeks from now) before booking it and then yesterday I got a text from my FSIL saying she would not be there again. When I asked her why, she said a friend of hers had decided to come into town over that weekend and they had made plans. She told me if I find a dress that day just send her the info and she would go see if she liked it too, then we could all buy it. Other problem is at this appt coming up is they have a deal on that day that if we pick the dresses the girls can get 20% off of them that day. My FSIL knows this.

The major frustration of it all, if it was any other bridesmaid I would just tell them they're being impossible and either come or I`d potentially have to kick them out, but this is my FSIL so I`m stuck.

I tried to talk to her last night about how I really wanted her there cuz ideally we`ll get the dresses that day but her solution was me inviting her mom cuz her mom has a better idea of what looks good on her. *face palm emoji*

Has anyone else dealt with an impossible BM you have to keep??

Thanks for reading all this! I know it got very ranty.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 21, 2019 at 16:08
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ugh that sucks! but just tell her what dress to buy and leave it. i wouldnt be including her in plans then and if she cant come oh well! she obv doesnt seem to care about you

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have the girls pick a dress they like and get her one and if she doesnt like it then she doesnt need to be a bridesmaid and can have a different job

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ugh, Maegan, that sucks. Maybe it's the tough-love side of my personality, but if I were you, I'd just tell FSIL that the appointment is in 2 weeks and if she's not there then the dress might get picked without her and that's it. If she doesn't like the dress, it's not your problem at this point since you're given her every opportunity to participate in the selection of the dress.

• M
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So much this. ^^^ Smiley laugh

• M
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya Maegan
    I'm going through the comments after making mine. I think you have a hold on this. Smiley smile

Michelle

• M
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What a predicament you're in! I'm so sorry this is even a situation. Is she blind or just completely self-centered? Sorry.

Rock and a hard spot. As far as your FSIL there really isn't much you can do about her behaviour. She may never even own it in the future. From what you say it sounds to me that she's not really interested in doing the leg work before the ceremony, but I don't know her either. Sad really, as it's a great thing to solidify the new family relationship. Anyway, have you talked to your Fiance? Maybe he is completely unaware of this issue?

As for their Mom. She has absolutely zero business sticking her nose in where it doesn't belong (which may be why daughter behaves inappropriately). However, having said that, there has been a historial commonality that sometimes parents of people getting married can be troublesome. lol Please remember that this is your wedding, and not hers. You can be grateful for the "helpful" suggestions and guidance and take it under advisement, but you and your Fiance are the ones to make these decisions.

Back to FSIL. I would have to say that at this point there really isn't anything you can do to make her change, nor an you change what's already past. FSIL is manipulating you no matter how subconsciously or consciously she is doing it. Smiley sad

I would go forward for now, and do exactly what she asks. Take her words for face value. May I suggest that you and your your 3 cooperative ladies go and choose their dresses and instruct FSIL as to when her fitting is. At this point she has distanced herself from the whole process and pretty much given you carte blanche, whether she thinks so or not. You have her words via text to prove this.

Move through it, breathe and enjoy yourself with your other Bridesmaids. Do not let her have your power as you and Fiance are the final and ultimate decision makers.

Now please please go enjoy yourself. Smiley heart

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well you've lasted longer than I would..... At this point I would have your FH have a talking to his sister almost as if to say "You are going. You will be there." I mean, if you feel comfortable enough then I would say that you can tell her this, but make sure you have your FH's backing before doing so.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its hard to deal with any of the bridesmaids when you feel like conflict will arise! I am not good with conflict. I would let the girls who are there pick the neck lines they want and since she wasn't there to choose she gets remaining.

• Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for the input! I agree I'm not handling this the best - I was not expecting this from her. I have told her I will be picking the dresses with or without her there thats when she asked that I atleast take her mom.
    Anyways: I want all the girls in the same colour and general same dress but different necklines. Should I just let the girls there pick the necklines they want and give her the remaining ones for that dress as what she can choose from?
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are being wayyy to nice! if everyone likes the dress that day you go, then everyone can buy it and tell her she needs to go in and get measurements and pay for it- there will be no choice in the dress if she isn't there. This will make her actually try to come.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

At this point, you've been BEYOND accommodating.
    If you all like the dress, I would just give her the info and that she has until 'x date' to order it. If she complains about not liking it, that's just too bad. I would probably even go as far as ordering it for her and tell her how much she owes me (if you're not paying!), but that's totally up to you hahaha.

You can't keep postponing getting those dresses because she keep backing out at the last minute.

Sure, she's family, but that doesn't mean she gets a free ride!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is definitely frustrating! Especially like you said, it's your FSIL so you can't just kick her out. I agree with Casey and if the remaining bridesmaids and you like the dress, to just buy it and tell your FSIL that this is the dress, please go and order it ASAP.

It seems like you're settled on the idea of all your bridesmaids wearing the same dress, but you could still use the same colour/designer but then the girls can choose a dress they like and then it doesn't matter if the FSIL isn't there to approve a dress. I'm surprised since she's getting married that she isn't more sympathetic to your dress schedule.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Very sorry to hear that you have to deal with this. I find that weddings bring out some peoples true colours lol. It makes it even harder that it is your FSIL, and you can't just "kick her out" of the bridal party.

My 3 bridesmaids are all my FSIL, so in the beginning no one really said anything about dresses. I basically just booked an appointment and told them they all had to be there. They all picked their own dress and were able to look at prices and pick what they wanted.

The best advice I can give, is just let her know that she needs to make the appointment if she wants an opinion on the dress. If not, go with the dress that your other BM's like and just tell her she needs to go in to try it on for size. It is not fair to keep holding up everyone else ordering their dress because your FSIL is super busy. Yes it is busy the couple months before the wedding, but I am sure she can spare an hour or two to come with you guys to pick a dress!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics