Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cristina
Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia

Bridesmaid dresses

Cristina, on September 8, 2017 at 00:18 Posted in Before the wedding 0 8

Do you ladies have any suggestions on where to start with the dresses do you search while wedding dress shopping or is that separate?

Girls are complaining about not wanting to have dresses that are too fit when they know they will be getting dresses that have to match them but be in gold color, same style concept.

How are your bridesmaids reacting to this?

8 Comments

Latest activity by Kayla, on September 8, 2017 at 19:48
  • K
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They are a part of your big day and life step. There comfort is important but your happiness in my opinion is a little more. Maybe I am wrong. I understand BMs not wanting a "club" looking dress or so tight they are falling out, but more form fitting does not always look bad or mean too small and spanx and things exist to make them more comfortable for ladies. I know lots of women of all shapes and sizes who look great in form fitting. I think striking a balance between what you want and they want is key. Smiley smile

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wanted them all to be same, but I actually told my bridesmaid what I wanted and let her pick the dress.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would look for them separately because it can be overwhelming. I think it's important for the bridesmaids to be comfortable. Are you trying to have them all in the same dress or is same colour and length ok?
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got my wedding dress first, then let my fiance pick his suit. We're more than a year out from our wedding, but we're going to start dress shopping for them in the winter. Probably online but we're doing mismatched so they don't all have to go at the same time.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to a local bridal store (not a chain) and took my MOH to try on dresses. I picked out my top three and sent photos asking for feedback on their favourite and least favourite. Once everyone weighed in, I picked one. Luckily, they all liked the same one as me, so there was no drama, lol.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We looked for my dress first and ordered it first as well. For their dresses, they did try some on while we were out looking at mine, just so we could see what everyone was comfortable in fabric wise, what it looked like on vs on the hanger, what styles were just horrible etc.
    After we found my dress, we started going and making appointments for the bridesmaids dresses and because I live in Peterborough, 2 bridesmaids live in Oshawa, and the MOH and other bridesmaid live in Windsor, it made it very hard for us to get everyone there. What I did, was make a fb group and posted dresses on my two bridesmaids who live only 45 minutes away from me so the other two could see them and then when I could get them all there to try the dresses on, they picked the dress they liked the most. I obviously had told them I wanted them to have the same dress, floor length and it was all going to be the same colour, but the actual dress would be what they are comfortable in wearing and it needed to be in their price range, as they were paying. Luckily they went with the dress I really loved and it was chiffon material and so it was comfortable for them to wear all day/night!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I found my dress first and then looked for bridesmaid dresses. I discussed with my girls several factors regarding fit and length. I looked at dresses online (for a few weeks actually) and then went to the store to take a real look at them. I picked my colour and then sent the girls a few options of dresses I liked in my colour. They ended up picking the same dress so that was pretty easy. I originally wanted shorter dresses as people are more apt to wear them again but I decided to go with long because it is often breezy where I am getting married and it will also be the end of September which can be a little chilly.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi again! Smiley smile

Searching for BM dresses while shopping for your wedding dress can work. I personally bought my wedding dress first, because I wanted to be sure I wouldn't pick a gown that clashed with the BM dresses. Then I did a lot of searching online for inspiration pictures. I decided what color I wanted the dresses to be, and my girls told me what length dresses they wanted and what requests they had for the fit and style of dresses they would wear.

I see you've chosen gold as your dress color, have you decided any other details about the dresses yet? Do your girls have any other requests besides not wanting the dresses to be too tight?

Kayla is another WeddingWire bride who is having long gold dresses, you might want to talk to her or join her discussion!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics