Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Olivia
Newbie September 2021 Quebec

Bridesmaid dresses

Olivia, on March 11, 2020 at 17:48 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 14
Trying to see what the norm is...does the bride pay for the bridesmaid dresses or do they fork it out themselves?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Kim, on February 1, 2021 at 19:47
  • Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We paid for all outfits for our wedding party, and I will be covering the hair & makeup as well. I honestly thought that was the way it typically was (I've been to two weddings ever). For my friends wedding, I was a little taken aback that we were to pay for those bridesmaid dresses ourselves.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For my upcoming wedding, I only have one bridesmaid and she's paying for her dress.

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I discussed with my MOH and she was good paying for her own! She understands weddings are super expensive and wanted to lift some of the costs off of us, she said she was good paying for her dress and her part of hair and makeup

• Bre Y
    Newbie June 2021 British Columbia
    Bre Y ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been in several wedding parties and have always had to pay for my dress, shoes myself. Hair/makeup was paid by half of the brides. My 4 bridesmaids are paying for their own dresses and I told them to wear any shoes they like. I also said I’d pay for their makeup but if they want their hair done, than it would be on them. Everyone was fine with that and I have bought each one a wristlet and a robe for the wedding day as a gift.
  • Meghan
    Beginner May 2021 Quebec
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've heard only that the bridesmaids buy it. Weddings are already expensive, so it's not the end of the world for a bridesmaid to cover her dress. The bride does typically buy them a gift though.

• Megan
    Beginner September 2022 Alberta
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've discussed with my maids and MOH and they are okay with paying for their own dresses and shoes for the ceremony. With that in mind, I am trying to be cognizant of the cost of the dress we go with. If they are paying, if you are choosing the dress, make sure to discuss their budget first.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's just as common either way. My bridesmaids (1 MOH and 1 BM) are paying for their own dresses, but I'm paying for their hair and makeup the day of the wedding. So I've kinda balanced it out. But they should at least be prepared to cover it themselves, even if you decide to do like half for them or something.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ive been in a ton of weddings and ive paid for everything myself - which is the norm. my girls are just buying a dress which is 140 from azazie and then i told them to wear any shoes, hair and makeup they want they all have kids and mortgages i dont expect them to fork out tons of cash for my wedding!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are paying for attire for our wedding party, as well I am covering hair & make up. Not the norm, but I've always planned for that and included it in our budget. I never really liked the idea of asking someone to stand up with me and do all this work, and then also give them a bill for $$$. That being said, weddings are expensive AF, so I totally understand not everyone is able to do that.

• Symone
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Symone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My bridesmaids paid for themselves.

For my cousins wedding as part of their gift she purchased their dresses.
    I guess it’s up to you and what you are comfortable + your budget Smiley smile
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Typically they pay for their dresses but instead of a gift the bride could offer to pay.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've bought 3 bridesmaid dresses. My MOH can pick any dress she wants since she'll be the only person on my side. If she already owns a dress she is comfortable with she can wear that as long as the colour is right
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Typically the bridesmaids pay for themselves.

Like Kelsie, our situation was slightly different my MOH is my daughter so I obviously paid for hers. My other two bridesmaids paid for their own though.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The “norm” I’ve seen is the bridesmaids pay for their dresses.

I did it differently - I paid for my sisters dress because she’s the only one in my party.
    You can do it however you feel comfortable.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics