Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Expert August 2018 Manitoba

Bridesmaid Dress Shopping Dilemma

Vanessa, on November 18, 2017 at 15:53 Posted in Before the wedding 0 19

So I have come to the conclusion that getting my bridesmaids together to do dress shopping will be an issue especially with everyone's schedules over the holiday season. One of my bridesmaids are coming in from San Diego and it is important to get her done as this will be her one trip before the wedding and I am sure that my maid of honor who the 3 of us went to school with will accompany us and my daughter. The other 2 bridesmaids 1 works and the other has other events. My daughter has to be at her dads for a portion of the Christmas Break which is difficult to make her apart or them apart so it looks like I am going to have to make separate trips instead of all together like I originally wanted. I live out of the city as well as one of my other bridesmaids. Did anyone else have this issue or any other dilemmas? Everyone in my wedding party so far has been super helpful I just can't get them all together at the same time....YET! And that might not be like like that until around the official wedding date.

19 Comments

Latest activity by Angela K., on January 16, 2018 at 14:28
  • Angela K.
    Curious June 2018 Ontario
    Angela K. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I order my bridesmaid dress from overseas. I have some of them pick the color and design. What bugs me little is that I paid for all their dresses, the dresses arrived like, 5 months ago, but no one showed up in my house to pick up their dresses or anything. I even send them something I fond online listing the activities/duties of a bridesmaid and asked if they didn't want to participate it was ok. I am doing everything on my own. Should I uninvited them?

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So I got one bridesmaid to get their dress with me last week and I'm so happy as its my best friend from San Diego. Dress looks great on her and the colour too which she doesn't mind. One thing that bugs me though is that another bridesmaid told me she was busy on the day and than when we were over for Christmas said she wasn't and I was like o good you can come for your dress fitting with us and she was like no i'm just gonna stay home. I was rather miffed to say the least. This one lives in Winnipeg and doesn't have to travel a far distance. Do I/Did I have the right to be upset? I'm not upset that she got days mixed up, I'm upset about her attitude towards the dress fitting.

• B
    Super August 2017 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's definitely hard to coordinate times with so many different people. All of my wedding party couldn't come to certain planning events with me all of the time but they made up for it in other areas.
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's such a neat way to do it. I have narrowed it down to a specific colour from Davids Bridal which happens to ship to San Diego where one of my Bridesmaids live. What I'm hoping to do while she's down is at least have her go with me so she's apart of some of the process and she can get the alterations done down there if needed.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a great way to manage the process without having to micromanage. If I had gone with the mismatched dress look, its what I would have done as well!

• Heather
    Frequent user May 2018 Manitoba
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I picked out paint samples for color examples too!

Bridesmaid Dress Shopping Dilemma 1
  • Ap2017
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One of my friends did this for her wedding. She actually went out and got paint sample cards, gave them to us and said "If it's one of these colours, wear the dress"...made it super easy!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids live in South Korea and Calgary. I picked a few dresses from David's Bridal and asked them which one they liked best. Lucky for me, I guess, they picked the same dress. My BM in Calgary could go to her local David's Bridal whenever she had the time (she's in med school) and my other BM sent me her measurements and I ordered her dress for her and then sent it to her. It is never easy getting people together as adults as our lives are always going in so many different directions. Don't fret too much about it and if you have to go several times, just think of it as a fun time out and a nice experience with your girlfriends.

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are using azazie.com. They give you the opportunity to try the dress on at home first for $10 to see how you like it then you can order it. Unfortunately they only ship in the US though so I have to drive to our nearest border crossing to pick it up.

• Heather
    Frequent user May 2018 Manitoba
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I decided to make things very simple for everyone. My MOH and 2 bridesmaids are my sisters and we all live in different parts of the country. I told them I don't care what kind of dress they wear as long as it's purple - so each girl is picking out something in a style that she likes, is comfortable in and that is affordable for her. Takes all the pressure off of me and I honestly don't care what kind of dresses they are in - I just want them all up there with me!
  • Ap2017
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I brought my MOH with me to try on different styles and picked the one I liked best. After that, the dress was on file at the store and my girls went in when they had time to get their measurements done and order the dresses. It was hard getting 3 of them together on the same day so this worked out well for us.

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    And I'm worried about online dress shopping in case it doesn't turn out or it's not what I want or they want. Or the fit is totally off. I found a social dress for myself and I'm skeptical on ordering it as it's online.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's funny.. I'm the nurse in my scenario and do have a crazy schedule but it seems that everybody else is busier than I am lol

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have the same issue with being able to get my girls together as well as one lives in Sault Ste Marie, another lives an hour away with 3 children and the one that lives here has no interest in talking wedding or planning anything lately. We've decided to go with an online company. They got to choose the style of their dress from home. We just need to get them all to agree on a date to order the dresses.

• Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have 6 bridesmaids, including 2 nurses, so their schedules are wild and I knew this would be impossible.
    Instead, I looked all over the internet and found a couple options. I sent them photos, they all liked one, we ordered it and voila!
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A friend of mine was a bridesmaid at her friend's wedding. All of the bridesmaids were scattered around the country, so the bride went into David's Bridal and picked the color she wanted, then told the girls to go into their closest David's Bridal and pick the dress style they preferred in the color she picked. That could be an option.

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for that. I don't feel alone or so guilty now in my decision on thinking of splitting the dress shopping up. Now the price of the dresses I hope they don't mind as I've gone changed it a few times because my first few choices turned out to be really high after I called around.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had that issue. I went with them separately; 2 of them and the third lives in Ontario and hasn't gone yet. One bridesmaid has already ordered hers. I have been in three other weddings and never once have we all gone as a group. Whatever works best for you.

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah, I've had that issue. I'm a student and all my bridesmaids are also students and we're all in different cities. So I skipped the group trip. I just picked the colour, material, and length from David's Bridal and everyone will have to pick their own.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics