Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sharlene
Expert August 2019 Alberta

Bridesmaid dress selection - anything but easy

Sharlene, on February 28, 2019 at 12:18 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 13
When I chose my bridesmaids (3 in total) I expected the dress selection to be so simply and easy. We have gone twice and to multiple stores. We have a third appointment next week. I hope this store is the one if not I am not sure what to do. I even suggested having dresses made and found a lady that can make something for a good price too. I tossed and turned all last night because I found out the dress the maid of honor really liked is no longer available to order and no store in Canada has the size or next size up that the girls wear.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on March 1, 2019 at 00:11
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know how you feel! I knew sorting out my bridesmaids dresses would be hard but it was actually hard in a different way than expected. We all live all over. In in BC and they are all in Ontario, 3 different cities 4 bridesmaids. One of my bridesmaids works at a bridal store so we went through her and that store for their dresses. Everyone picked their dresses and we were set to order. They all paid the deposit and the order was ready. My bridesmaids told me she put the order in but she didn't. About 2-3 weeks later she texts me telling me the MOHs dress is discontinued (I let them pick their own dresses, all different). I was confused because she had paid the deposit and I was told the order went in... She then said she didn't put the order in because she was too busy. So my MOH had to pick a new dress. For some reason my bridesmaids thought that my MOH is not capable of picking a dress and says, "I'll pick a few that will look good and she can pick from those" NO! I absolutely love this bridesmaids but she has absolutely drove me crazy with all this. I think she may be a bit jealous that she isn't MOH because she keeps making comments a about my MOH, calling her the wrong name and always asking me if I have a MOH and who it is.. so she has for some reason made the process extremely difficult be stressful. As of right now I believe the dresses have been ordered set to arrive in April, but I suppose we'll see.
    Good luck to you, hopefully this is something you'll sort out and get out of the way soon
  • Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So far it has been the biggest stress. Getting my dress was much easier and I am not the easiest body to fit either.
  • Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    After losing sleep I have to agree, i will have to be the one to say this is the dress and be done.
  • Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have checked le Chateau and Laura. Shorter length or not my color (plum). The Bay had a great dress, but old stock so none is Canada for their sizes.
  • Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is actually my newest suggestion. I found a place that rents them and saw the convertible dress on etsy for less than half of the cost to buy the dress.
  • Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Brave lady!!!
  • Sharlene
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have encouraged them to order online, but they seem to be afraid of this as an option.
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have 4 bridesmaids and I told them I will make the dress myself. I had never done anything up to that level yet, but I am looking forward to the challenge. 4 bridesmaids, 4 different colors. Ice blue, mint green, light pink and light purple. I had shown them the pictures, colors and fabric swatches. Fortunately, they all like it with only minor request of alteration on how the neckline would look like. I will make the long skirt detachable. After the wedding they still can wear the dress to office or party.

It's something like this.

Source David's Bridalundefined

Back of the dressundefined

• Ginny
    Beginner June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Ginny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just completed my order for 4 dresses through Bridal Glee today. They look amazing, do custom sizing for free and they are on half price.

• Meghan
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was worried about this happening with my bridesmaids, plus getting all 4 of them together would have been a logistical nightmare (also I only have a 7 month long engagement)

So I decided they would wear the TwoBirds bridesmaids dresses...I picked the colour and the length...they can style it however they are most comfortable...I think there are like 15 different ways (they can even change it up during the reception if the want)

Also it only comes in two sizes which made it super easy too

It all worked out really well because the day I went to try the dresses on/place the order, none of the bridesmaids could make it.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's really hard! I let my girls pick their own style dress - I had three criteria: Same shade of blue, floor length and preferably no satin. Otherwise, they could pick what they wanted (though I had final veto power). I found that made it easier.

You might just have to make a decision, knowing not everyone is going to be 100% happy.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no! Could you also try some stores that sell dresses (le chateau, yaya & co etc.) and see if they like any of those?

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you. I'm only having one attendant, my maid of honour, and she isn't happy with anything.I feel like she is dragging out the selection process because she enjoys being fawned over. And her taste level is so unlike mine, she likes very flashy, provocative things. It's been one of the most stressful things about the whole planning process.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics