Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
VIP September 2019 Ontario

Bridesmaid dress issues

Becky, on January 26, 2019 at 17:07 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 13
Today I went with part of the wedding party to pick out BM dresses. I had picked out styles I liked and had asked everyone to try these on and if didn’t look good then we could try others. When all finished and dresses picked out, the lady told us that the designer is shutting down for 3 weeks starting feb 5th and if we wanted our dresses made in time for wedding we should order as of yesterday.

I had asked everyone a month in advance to clean to this apt. Some we went seperate as they couldn’t make the date. When spoke to the store during those other apts there was no mention of this.

I am freaking out we won’t have dresses in time or it will be close cutting it. Due to this I told everyone in the wedding party I could pay the deposit as they weren’t expecting to until mid to late February. They could pay me back when they were able to and when they had originally planned to pay. 2 girls that came where offended by my offer and my sister had already came thinking that today was the day you were supposed to do a deposit.

Any suggestions on how to handle this time line of dresses? I’m getting married September 14,2019. The store said need 6 months for ordering dresses.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on January 28, 2019 at 08:55
  • Emily
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No worries, glad I could be of assistance Smiley shame
    if you don’t mind me asking, what store are you ordering from? That 3-week shutdown sounds more like a store thing and not a designer thing... mori lee is based in the states, not China.
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Emily! really appreciate this timeline from the same designer! It definitely helps. I am going back to the dress shop today to talk more about the 3 week shut down and understanding the timeline more. Some girls feel they should have this time and pay after they start back up. But I think they should order asap as it gives them first come basis ahead of people who order after the start up.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Vinod! appreciate the feedback. There is 2 bm's that are in another wedding and I am in this wedding party as well. One of them is the bride and the dresses we had picked out were a $20 difference and I offered to pay that difference. I'm going to take that advice for sitting down with them and going over what I am expecting though. I am also have let people know if it ever becomes too much, can't do it financially anymore, or for any reasons they would like to step back I wouldn't have hurt feelings and understand.

• Emily
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey Becky, I’m ordering MoriLee for my bridesmaids and I’m in a wedding this April where we’re wearing morilee for the bridesmaids as well.
    for the wedding in April, we ordered the dresses at the end of August and they still aren’t in. The shop said probably beginning of February.
    The BM dresses for my wedding: ordered at the end of October... so i’m expecting them in April.
    Just to give you a real-life idea of the lead time on these dresses, not sure if that helps you at all!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thoughts on having a meeting with the whole wedding party and making sure they understand this is what you want from them. Make up contracts for everyone to sign and agree that you have put down payments for them knowing they are responsible for the payment and if they choose not to pay back, give them an alternative and cut down your wedding party.

I'm really sorry you have to go this and it will change the way you look at the friendship you have with them during this process. Do understand that not everyone sees the same way of view as you and respecting your wish as a bride.

We took our MOHs shopping for their outfits and straight up from the beginning said we can't afford to pay for it as they saw fit what they could get for the amount they budgeted. End result was great and peaceful.

I wish you all the best and hope that the girls that haven't paid, do so and will learn from this experience as when they get married when their time comes.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so frustrating. I think weddings sometimes bring out the worst in people. At the end of the day they've agreed to be a part of your special day and just need to suck it up and do the minor things you're asking of them.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If they wait until the end of the hiatus, they wouldn’t come until end of August potentially which wouldn’t leave much time for alterations. It does sound like your best bet is to order these dresses.
    It sucks that the dress shop didn’t let you know of the 3 week break beforehand! And that the 2 were overly offended by your gesture.
  • Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Two of my sisters, 3 friends and his sister. So far it’s just his sister and mutual friend that haven’t paid. And the only ones having issues with.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm really sorry to hear that about your wedding party. Are they all your friends/family?

You're right, just order the dresses and hope for the best.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow I didn’t think of that, it’s with the brand Morilee. It would be honestly easier ordering this then trying to get any of them to come back in to look at different designer. They complained saying a month wasnt enough notice. I wouldn’t have time to get them back in to find diff designer and for them to order. If I had a better wedding party I don’t think he an issue. Half of them aren’t making effort with anything
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds like your dresses are coming from China (so that would explain the 3-week shut down for Chinese New Year). Is there any way you and your girls could find something else that isn't coming from over there/won't take as long?

I'm also dealing with my bridesmaid dress taking 4-5 months to come in, so it will be here JUST in time for some alterations before the wedding... ugh. It's just frusterating.

• Becky
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They six months for any of the designers, seems to be the going wait time for any of the stores around here. Last wedding was in it took this long as well. I thought was long time. If they would have told me before the girls all picked out the dresses and left I could have done so but it was extremely hard like pulling teeth to get anyone to come in the first place for this try on.

I gave that solution if me ordering the dresses and either people paid them self’s who had no issue with it, or accepted it. 2 of them were really offended and aren’t doing either. Should I just let them risk it and hope in on time since they won’t take anything from me?
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It seems odd that the store is telling you 6 months for bridesmaid's dresses... It could be the store/designer or the bridesmaid dress itself, but I was under the impression that bridesmaids dresses only take about 2-3 months to come in. They could also come in earlier than the 6 months depending on many factors.

If you heart is set on these particular dresses/designer I would order before the February 5th deadline. If not, I would maybe find a designer that isn't taking a 3 week hiatus, whose dresses might come in sooner than six months.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics