Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Caitlyn
Super January 2020 Ontario

Bridesmaid Dress Decisions

Caitlyn, on July 16, 2020 at 17:15 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 18
I personally found choosing bridesmaid dresses to be slightly more difficult than choosing my wedding dress. I was overwhelmed with options!

I personally wanted to go with the traditional look of having my bridesmaids all in the same dress, but I know that now a days a lot of couples are letting each bridesmaid pick their own dress in a particular colour.
What are everyone else’s views? Are you choosing one dress for all bridesmaids? Multiple styles? Multiple different colours?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Alexandra, on July 20, 2020 at 16:05
  • Alexandra
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The colors we chose for the wedding are jewel tones, and all of my bridesmaids are vastly different shapes and sizes. So, I picked 4 colors (Burgundy, Navy, Forest Green, Plum) and after my MOH picked her color the 3 others picked one each -mercifully they all got their first choice! I asked that they get a floor length dress in their chosen color and make sure they loved it. All of them are super happy with their dresses, they look fantastic in them and the best part is that they are comfortable. They won't get to wear them until next year now, but they were all really appreciative of the choices they had!

• Michelle
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So what I did was I got all my girls together. I already had my colour picked and I let the girls go into the shop and pick dresses...slowly they eliminated dresses one by one until two were left and out of the final two I made the final pick that way everyone had some input into the dresses being picked....it worked out rather well i must admit
    And the dress was flattering on everyone and all my bridesmaids are completely different shapes and sizes
  • Kim
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH and I chose a colour we liked and we were happy for the girls to choose their own styles. But, when we went dress shopping the both looked AMAZING in a different colour altogether and they loved the same dress. We don't really care about colour scheme and are happy they're going to love what they chose!
  • Kayla
    Beginner June 2022 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I wanted all the girls to be in a completely different dress (not even a typical Bridesmaid dress) but all the same colour-ish (ie blue). It honestly became way too difficult to bring my vision together, and because I did not want traditional bridesmaid dresses, I now have a local girl creating all their dresses with the same material/pattern, but they can choose whatever style they want Smiley smile

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's like what a lot of others have said - it depends on your bridesmaids. My sister's are significantly older than my future sister in law, my maid of honour, and myself, so I knew they would not all like the same dresses, nor feel comfortable in the same styles. It was very important to me that they each feel beautiful. In the weddings I've been in we've all been very similar in size and age but I really hated wearing (and paying multiple hundreds of dollars for) dresses I knew I'd never pick out myself or wear again (I never would have said so... I agreed to be in the wedding party). I chose the colour and requested some beading as we're having a NYE wedding. I also said I need final approval but I was obviously a bit too nice because they all ordered black dresses (I said grey) annnnnddd my oldest sister ordered without asking me and it's terrible. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ Oh well. If they're happy, we're happy. At the end of the day they're in pictures in an album and it's not worth them being unhappy or not feeling good about themselves. It's my fiance and I who are the focus and what people will remember (and the food haha). That being said, it's about you and your fiance and it's really important to stick to what you envision and want - learn from me - speak up! Haha
  • Chelsee
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Chelsee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have 1 bridesmaid and 1 MOH. They both have the same dress and shoes in the same colour. But that's mainly because we were super lucky with the dress that we found that really compliments the style of my dress! Is can also easily be used for other parties if they feel they wanted to !
  • Olivia
    Frequent user October 2021 Ontario
    Olivia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I chose the colour and picked out four styles I thought would compliment everyone’s body type and style and they can choose from there!
  • Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Same color, style and designer .... different dresses.

I have 6 bridesmaids and 1 MOH and everyone has different body types. It just didn't seem reasonable to ask everyone to chose 1 dress and I really like the idea of different dresses Smiley smile

The girls all got their dresses from David's Bridal and they have so many different styles.

• Joanna
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Joanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am picking the colour and letting my bridesmaids pick their dress! Everyone has different budgets and styles so we will see how that goes! I personally have been bridesmaid 4 times and was only able to pick my own dress twice.
    I always say to do what’s best for you. If you have a specific vision in mind then go with that!
    I’ve noticed since wedding planning I’ve had tendencies to overthink my decisions which is so unlike me! There is no right and wrong decision, it’s whatever you want for your big day!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked one colour from a specific shop and the girls could pick whatever dress from that shop in that colour. Unlike suits that can conform to all shapes, some dresses just simply won't be flattering for some, and since they're spending money on it, we wanted them to feel good about their choices. This way also allows the girls to spend within their own budget.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not having any bridesmaids but if I did I think I’d probably go for different styles so that everyone could be comfortable but the same colour, fabric, and length.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I only have my maid of honor standing up for me so it was super easy to pick out a dress. But if I did have more bridesmaids, they'd probably be all in the same dress

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love the look of all different dresses in the wedding colour(s). However, I only have one MOH and no bridesmaids. So I gave her 3 colours to choose from and she can have any dress she feels good in.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only recently decided to have bridesmaids (I figure since covid has changed so much already, and I wanted a reason/excuse to have my closest friends there when I might not be able to have many people) and I've asked them to just wear a little black dress or jumpsuit. I always liked the idea of LBDs, and this way there isnt a huge cost since most people already have a favorite black dress.
  • Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were pretty laid back with our bridesmaid dresses. We just said navy blue and long. One of the girls is wearing one she already wore as a bridesmaid in a different wedding. The other 2 girls found ones they liked depending on their style.
  • Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I only have 2 bride entourage. No guest of honour. I'm having 2 colours and letting them pick whatever outfit they want and let them decide among themself who is wearing which colour
  • A-W
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    A-W ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Different dresses but all the same colour. Made it easier for me since all the girls had different things they preferred to cover up.
  • L
    Curious September 2020 Ontario
    Lindsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m traditional when it comes to bridesmaid dresses.
    I picked one dress, all the same colour!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics