Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alyssa
Newbie September 2025 Alberta

Bridesmaid Dilemma

Alyssa, on August 12, 2024 at 17:00 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5

Hello Wedding Wire Community! Smiley smile I have a bit of long one here.

I’m hoping to get some advice on something I’ve been struggling with for a while. My fiancé and I have been engaged since October 2023, and our wedding is in September 2025, so we’re still a decent way out! I had a pretty good idea of my bridal party even before getting engaged. Officially, I have: my more recent best friend, who I met through my fiancé almost eight years ago, as my MOH (she and my fiancé grew up together, and her husband is a groomsman—they’ve all been friends since elementary school); two of my cousins, who I grew up incredibly close with and consider sisters, as bridesmaids; and my soon-to-be brother-in-law’s girlfriend, who I recently decided to ask as a bridesmaid because I’m confident she’ll be my sister-in-law one day.

But there’s one person I’ve been going back and forth about: my longtime best friend from childhood. We’ve known each other since we were 11 (now almost 28), so it’s been nearly 17 years. Back in middle school, we were inseparable—hanging out every evening, spending weekends at each other’s houses, even staying over on school nights sometimes. We shared everything and were always there for each other, especially during tough times like middle school. But after middle school, we went to different high schools, and since then, we’ve hardly seen each other. High school started in 2010 or 2011, and since then, we’ve probably gotten together 6 or 8 times. The last time I saw her was almost four years ago, and the next time will be this upcoming weekend.

My fiancé has met her the few times we’ve seen each other during our relationship, but he’s indifferent about whether I ask her to be a bridesmaid mostly becasue he has no clue what he would do if he were in my shoes, leaving the decision up to me. It’s tough because, despite not seeing her often, she was one of the first people I told about the engagement, and she’s always one of the first I tell about any big life event. I even considered asking her to be a bridesmaid back in January when I asked the others, but I hesitated, and now I’m worried she might bring it up when we meet this weekend.

She was excited about the engagement and said she’d been waiting for it for years. We tried to plan a get-together immediately after the engagement, but our schedules conflicted—she travels a lot for modeling, and I was wrapping up my undergrad (I graduated in April). I start my master’s degree in October, so my free time will be limited again soon. I get 3 weekends off per quarterly semester and a summer break, so I’ll be a bit of a hermit while I work through my graduate degree.

The dilemma is that, although I rarely see or talk to her, when we do, it feels like no time has passed. We don’t text or call regularly, but we do share big news and wish each other happy birthdays. I still consider her one of my best friends, though not close enough or available enough to be my MOH. I always thought I’d ask her to be a bridesmaid, but now I’m unsure. I absolutely cannot imagine my day without her there, even just as a guest, but then I feel like inviting her as a guest could hurt her. Should I hope we reconnect more over the next year despite my schedule being so limited for free time and ask her this weekend, or is the guilt I feel just because I’m holding onto the friendship we had in the past?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Agness, on September 5, 2024 at 20:53
  • Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Happy to hear it worked out! Smiley heart

• Alyssa
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes! I ended up asking her as it did feel right. She cried she was so happy and I do think that we will do better at trying to get together over the next year and beyond so there will absolutely be no regrets!

• Alyssa
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much! I ended up going the route of asking her. It didn't feel right not to have her a part of the day in such a special way; she cried when I asked, too, so that solidified that it was absolutely the right decision. She is already offering to help plan and even host the Bridal shower at her place since her home is large enough to have everyone gather! I think it was the right decision for sure, and I felt relieved the best when I asked!

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with the below regarding letting her know what your expectations are of her and this way you both can get on the same page of having them met. When I'm forced with a tough decision I try and forecast down the road and see which way I would regret more/the least... would you be regretful if you didn't ask her? or are you confident that in asking her you will have no regrets, regardless of where your friendship takes you.

• Faith
    Newbie October 2025 Ontario
    Faith ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey! First of congratulations! I think you have 3 options. 1) you let her be a bridesmaid and just hope she can be there for you. It should like she is really important to you! Your bridesmaids (in my opinion) are people that are not only constantly there for you, but helped shape you to be your best self! Sounds like this friend has done that despite the distance. Also the fact that distance doesn’t change how you guys act when you are around each other really says something about your friendship. 2) talk to her beforehand and explain the duties you are expecting of your bridesmaids (ex. Planning, helping pick up things, etc.). If she can’t guarantee she can help with these things, then explain that maybe a bridesmaid might not be the best suited for her, but you still need/want her there for you on your special day. Then if she says yes- great! She will be there for you and knows your expectations or 3) invite her as a guest and have a conversation after! You can still make her feel included on your big day without having her as a bridesmaid.

Hope this helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics