Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Elizabeth
Beginner July 2022 Ontario

Bride going to groom suit consult?

Elizabeth, on December 6, 2021 at 06:08 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 14
Hi everyone!
So I finally got my fiancé to book a consultation to see for his tux and for his groomsmen. He’s been putting it off and knowing him, he was going to do it all last minute. Our wedding is in July but the consult is booked the last weekend of January and I said that I would be going with him because I have a specific idea in mind and I don’t want him to go cheap looking.

Is it normal for a bride to go? Is it bad luck? I know he doesn’t mind and knows that I have good taste but I wanted to hear from you all if any bride went for the tux/suit consult
Thank you!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on December 14, 2021 at 14:00
  • M
    Newbie August 2024 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Absolutely not bad luck!Smiley shame

I worked as a tux and suit consultant at The Bridal Centre for 2 years and can tell you that the bride joined almost every time. It is important that the groom's outfit compliments the bride.

Almost every groom had no idea what colour her dress was - off white or pure white - which is extremely important for pictures. At the tux fitting you can both decide on the tux lapel style (notch? shawl? peak? etc), cummerbund or vest, bowtie or tie patterns/colors/materials, etc.

The groomsmen won't have to be there for this appointment, by the way. If it is Moores or similar, they will have your wedding and style choices on file and you can tell your groomsmen they must all go in and get measured by Feb 15 (or whatever). If you don't think you can rely on your groomsmen to get their obligation done on time, make them meet up for this fitting so that it gets done. And if they live out of town/not near a location, they need to get measured by another suit shop and email the measurements to your husband so that he can give them to the store where you are.

• Christine
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm planning to go with my FH and my MIL for suit ideas. First, because we have two different ideas on what dark blue means lol. And second, because his mom has pretty strong opinions on him wearing a tux (which he doesn't want) and has been known to bully him into getting her way. So I'm going, if only to play referee between them. He's the one who suggested it. Now, when it comes time to go shopping with the boys, that's all on him.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its great you want to go to see the suit he's choosing though the groomsmen would be doing their fitting too since it would be a one time shopping trip. You can give your opinion to make changes where it may be better, though he should have the last word since its what he is wearing too.

On the other hand of this matter, FH decides this is something he has to do with the groomsmen, then let it be as he wants to choose what he will look best in the style along with the groomsmen standing beside him to see the whole outlook. Sometimes, its the surprise you don't want to be ruining for yourself though you do know the dress your wedding will match the vest and tie for that fact.

I too know how it is with the last minute put off shopping for the suit as my husband didn't even want to get up to get his until 2 weeks in the day and purchase it with me present. It was okay since I had to pay for it and liked his choice of the suit.

• R
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Rere ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If he doesn't mind why not go ahead, my FH is going to go with his brother but I definitely had an imput lolol.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

THIS. So much this.

It's one thing if he has no idea what he's doing and requested your help. Or if the two of you agreed that you want to make this a memorable experience by joining in on each other's attire shopping. But it's a whole other story to want to go along so you can dictate the attire for all the men. That's why I'm a bit weary of having you join him because you mentioned you had very specific ideas in mind for his suit, which sounds like you just want to tag along to influence his decision. But in my opinion, a man old enough to get married is old enough to dress himself for the occasion and he certainly should have a say in what he wears for his own wedding. I mean, if he's completely down with it and wants you to be the final arbiter of his clothing choices, power to you but if he's able to handle it, why not let him make it his own thing. Certainly between him and his groomsmen, not to mention the stylist at the store, they should be steered in a direction that won't be too ghastly.

Since you (Elizabeth) mentioned that he's getting a tux, there's honestly very little room for him to mess it up because there's very little actual choice to be made. It's an all-black 3-piece suit with a white shirt. The only real choices are the jewels (cufflinks and studs), the colour of the pocket square, and the texture of the black bow tie. All of which are pretty inconsequential to the grand scheme of things.

• Monica
    Beginner August 2022 British Columbia
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm no traditionalist, I am a follow-your-own-values type of gal so here's my two cents:

I love the idea of going to your spouses fitting, both ways TBH.

But I do believe there is a positive and a negative way of approaching the idea:

I'd start by asking your FH if he would be open to you going along. Share your motivations for why you'd like to attend. If he recognizes how important it is to you he will likely a) care more about it himself, and b) recognize that having you along may make the experience more fun for all parties.

*However, if he feels distrusted by you to 'make the right decision' then you're headed for conflict.

Ask him what he is looking for in a tux, and if you join the fitting, be his backup. Support him in getting the tux he truly wants. After all, at the end of the day it's important that you're both comfortable and confident in your attire.

And of course, have fun!

• Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Elizabeth,
    Men and last minute planning eh. Haha! I had to deal with that with my hubby, I was on him with everything for the groomsmen. That being said, I saw the suit that he was trying to buy and saw it when he went to try it on for the fitting while we got the groomsmen suits.
  • Laura
    Devoted June 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely think I'd like to go - I'm way too invested in how I hope our wedding to turn out to let him pick his suit alone Smiley xd

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH went alone and then decided woth the sales person they wanted me to go with him lol. I was gine with him going by himself but in the end he wanted me to go as well. It also helped choosing between the white or ivory. Even though my dress is ivory I showed the picture to the sales person and we are going with the white shirt. The ivory is way too yellow.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is he buying or renting? It's one thing if you're afraid he'll cheap out with a bad suit when buying but if he's renting, prices are pretty standardized.

Either way, if he knows how to dress himself, I would let him be. The store associate will be able to help with things like fit and his group should also be able to provide input on menswear.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My husband wanted to go alone since he didn't come dress shopping LOL but I went and every single bride I've known has gone with their fiance.
  • A
    Super September 2022 Alberta
    Alyx ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Me personally I am definitely going with my fiancé because I have an exact vision of what I want him in lol
    I’ve never heard that it’s bad luck! If you want to go , go for it! This is your guys’s wedding do whatever makes you happy!!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My Fiancé and I picked out the groomsmen suits together. I have given input on what I like for his suit but I will not be going with him. He's going with a friend who has good taste and I trust his friends judgment. But I do not think it's q problem if you do go!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think that it would be a problem if you went with him. I'll be going with my fiance when we start to look for suits.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics