Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lydia
Beginner June 2019 British Columbia

Bride/bridesmaid getting ready outfits

Lydia, on May 4, 2019 at 21:23 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 19
Hi everyone,
I am having a hard time deciding on whether I want go with the trend of giving robes/t-shirts for the bridesmaids to get ready in. The photographer will likely only be there for me getting into my dress, so we don't need the "matching gowns" type of photo. Also, I am pretty self conscious in a robe (fear of flashing!), and as the bridesmaids are plus size, I don't want to make them feel uncomfortable in an article of clothing. Who has/hasn't done the clothing gift thing?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Emily, on May 12, 2019 at 13:51
  • Emily
    Frequent user August 2019 New Brunswick
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing plaid button up shirts. no need to have a matching color but also something they can get on and off easy with out messing up hair and make up. most my girls already own one as well so need to special buy anything

• Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Let me start by saying I am a huge softball fan. I play myself as does one of my bridesmaids and one of our groomsmen. I am getting the ladies plus myself and my mom button up softball jerseys made with bride, maid of honor, bridesmaid, mother of the bride on the front and our names and the number 19 on the back. I am beyond excited to get them!!! We will likely wear shorts or whatever for bottoms. I am not hung up on that detail.

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't gift robes for my girls as I purchased their dresses, paid for their hair and makeup and also got them gifts that were presented the morning of. Our photographer had the girls change into their dresses before I gave them their gifts and we had our photographs taken then.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was my thinking: I won't wear a robe ever again, why would my girls?

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing cut-off shorts and t-shirts/tank tops. All the girls will already be bringing denim shorts, and I will giving them shirts as part of their gifts.

• Kelsey
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I purchased robes off of Etsy - I found a shop that sells plus size robes and they fit so well! If anyone has a fear of flashing they can throw on a pair of leggings underneath Smiley tongue

• Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh I love this idea! I was having a hard time with idea of gifting robes since most of my girls won't wear them after. I love plaid shirts! So cute and casual and easy to remove after hair & make up.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing the getting ready robes and everyone has gone and bought a little romper type outfit to wear underneath to avoid flashing anyone. My friend is getting married and they did matching slippers and will just be getting ready in those. You can talk to your bridesmaids and ask if there is anything that they can think of that they would like to wear for getting ready?

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm asking my girls to wear button up plaid that they already own and whatever pants - I'm doing PJ pants myself! I'm getting them matching totes so we could still do a "matching getting ready" photo.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the look of robes in photos but I'm kind of in the same boat, most of my party are plus size, and some are not femme identifying so I think I will be staying away from matching robes and going for something more gender neutral like PJs or Tshirts instead.

• Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks I'll take a look! I would like an inexpensive white set and plum ones
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Amazon! It was the only place I could find an emerald green set with good reviews that didn't cost a fortune. But weddingstar.ca has some really cute ones in tons of colours for not that bad, if they ever come back in stock.
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Where did you find yours? I was thinking of the short set too.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I mean you dont have to be in panties under the robes! You can easily put them on top of a PJ set too! I'm okay in one but if someone isnt you can for sure have an undershirt or anything else that would make it better!
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with you about the robe thing! Im super uncomfortable in them so I went with button up top satin pjs! They're still cute for photos but no chance of wardrobe malfunctions ☺
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Kelsie, the shorts would be a good idea if I decide to go down the robe route!
  • Lydia
    Lydia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Casey, I'm glad there is someelse feeling this way! I love the idea of the socks!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing the robe. You can wear shorts underneath, or buy long robes if you have a fear of flashing!
  • Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also wanted to stay away from this. My photographer is showing up at the end of us getting ready so I didn’t really think it was necessary. I got a plaid shirt for myself. My plan was to get the girls to just wear plaid shirts of their own instead of getting matching ones.
    Instead I am leaning more towards a bag (cosmetic or tote) and then a personalized cup/glass. Their hair and makeup is part of their gift so I didn’t want to do a huge gift.
    if you wanted to do something matching you can do the socks that have “ bridesmaid “ on the bottom

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics