Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
Master July 2018 Alberta

Bride and Groom Speech

Stephanie, on July 1, 2018 at 17:29 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

What is everyone including in their speech? I always thought it was more of a "thank you" but my fiance wants to include more. So, we are each telling our side of the story about how we met (pretty similar, just different perspectives). Then, fiance wants to make a few promises to my parents, and me to his, and end with thanking everyone who helped out and everyone for coming.

My question is: what promises can I make to his parents? I have that I will love their son until the day I die and I will spell their name correctly. But, I want one other thing. Any ideas?

What are you including in your speech?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Jessie, on July 10, 2018 at 15:33
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sure we will be doing a thank you portion of the speech- probably at the beginning. I also think we will talk about our journey together and the wedding planning. Maybe throw in a funny story.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not sure on wording but I agree that going with something about them being a part of your life too and how much their love and support means to you. I do love that you are taking the time to share a bit of yourselves with your guests.

I am not an emotional person and my fiancé hates being the centre of attention so I think we are just keeping it to a simple and sweet thank you to everyone.
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We plan on doing the thank yous as per usual as well as recognizing each others parents. We also want to commemorate the family members we have lost that we wish were there with us. We want to keep it as short an concise as possible because by the time we speak at the end, everyone will be getting antsy to start the party.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We thanked everyone for helping and being supportive and how lucky we felt and how much we loved everyone and looked forward to more years together and with everyone. I thanked his family for being so accepting of my from the start and he thanked my mum for being so wonderful. Then we wrapped up.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Following for ideas on this one 💕
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had a speech mentioning

Thanking the guests for coming
    Families uniting as one
    Wedding party thank yous
    Immediate family honourables
    Finishing with the bells attached to menu cards to ring instead of clinging the glasses and having a great time.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are keeping ours fairly simple

- Thank everyone for coming

- Groom: Thanks my dad

- Groom: Thanks his mum

- Bride: Thanks his dad

- Bride: Thanks my mom

- Bride: Says some lovely stuff about finance

- Groom: Says some lovely stuff about finance

- Wraps up

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Sarah, promising you will always make time for them. My fiancé’s family is really close and his immediate family likes to get together for Sunday dinners sometimes 3 times a month. We alternate between their place and ours. Also we have gatherings with his whole family on special days as his cousin passed away in Afghanistan back in 2009 and those things are very important to them. I guess think what is very important to your in laws, is it spending time visiting, or maybe it’s phone calling or celebrating special holidays or carrying out family traditions.
  • Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our speech was somewhat similar. We met overseas, so not many people knew our story of how we met. We thanked everyone for coming and then went into our story (from each perspective, it was pretty funny), and then we finally thanked our parents and our wedding party and left everyone with a few words of wisdom. It was around a 3-minute speech filled with a few laughs. It seemed to go well, so I would definitely say go for it!

You could include a promise to visit them often (or call them a lot) if they're from out of town, or to allow them to spoil your children (if you plan on having any). I'm always about the laughs, so they would be silly promises if I were to do this, but you could always do more sentimental ones.

• Sarah
    Frequent user July 2020 Nova Scotia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That no matter what happens in the family, you will be there not only for their son but for them too? And we haven’t planned ours out much yet, but we together are keeping it less than 10 minutes, because I feel if it was any longer people would lose interest and get bored.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Following this discussion! I like the idea of the promises and stuff; more than just saying thanks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics