Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Courtney
Super July 2018 Ontario

Bridal Party Plus Ones

Courtney, on December 14, 2017 at 13:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10

So far we haven't had too much issues with our Guest List which is great, but I'm struggling over 1 issue.

Most our bridal part (8 people) are in serious relationships (been dating a while, engaged or married). 3 people in our bridal party are not in serious relationships, however, I appreciate how helpful and great they've been so we want to give them a plus one option. I realize I cannot completely dictate who they would bring, but I have made it known that all bridal party plus ones are sitting at the head table with us (I hate separating couples).

2 of the three people have sort of said they'd only bring a date if theyd been dating her for a bit. But the last person (one of my bridesmaids) told me she'll probably just bring one of her friends from work.

I feel a bit uncomfortable now .. I hadn't meant the Plus one to be just for one of your pals.. am I completely off base on this? It might be different if they weren't going to sit at the head table, but it just seems.. strange to me to assume a plus one in this case is for a friend?

I'd love to know some peoples thoughts.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Bethany, on December 17, 2017 at 12:27
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just think that some people are going through things in their life and may not feel comfortable just bringing a random guy. I would honour her choice and allow it, it may look funny (I understand where you are coming from there) but at least she'll be comfortable.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's nice to allow those to bring a friend or companion as not everyone will know everyone. For me I like to know at least 1 or 2 ppl when going to a party/get together as I'm VERY shy and don't take the 1st step when it comes to socialization.

If they inform you before your cut off date of RSVPs then I believe you should allow them to bring their friend. However, after your final count and they then decide to bring one then sorry not going to happen. You have already provided your count to the venue(s).

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For our wedding party we have 1 couple who are both a bridesmaid and a groomsman, than 3 are single, and than we have 3 who are attached. Those who are attached we will put them at the same table or at tables of people they know so they are not totally uncomfortable but our head table is already at 10-11 people with the flower girl. If there not attached or not serious with anyone we are not giving the option as we are already at 250 + people.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for their feedback. Definitely keeps me in check of becoming a 'bridezilla' on this one.

I'm sure whoever she brings will be a lovely person.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think if you are giving her a plus one then you have to honour that, no matter her choice of date. It may not be what you had intended but if she is happy and it doesn't really change anything for you in the grand scheme of things, then just let it go.

• Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would put yourself in their shoes. Spending a whole day at a wedding sitting on your own just because you aren't in a serious relationship. You made the choice to have their partners at the head table but I don't think you should designate who. It's a tough call I get it. We have a small bridal party just best man and MOH. Best Man and MOH have both been divorced twice and don't really want to be display, one with a boyfriend and the other with no date. So we decided, they can sit with their significant others/families, close to us at the head table. Fine by me. Frankly I wish I could do it too. I really dont like the idea of 225 people watching me eat! Lol
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If she wants to bring someone let her. Although our wedding parties are usually our closest pals, they are doing a favour for us. Being in a wedding costs time, money, and a whole lot of effort. She should not be prevented from bringing a date just because she is not in a relationship... This is kind of single-shamey and rude in my opinion.

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Another way of looking at it/thinking of it is maybe that bridesmaid doesn't want to feel like the "third" wheel at a table filled with couples, so this is why she is bringing a +1 that she may not have otherwise.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We aren't giving plus ones to anyone else invited, EXCEPT if that person is dating someone seriously/married. We're defining seriously by if they were dating when save the dates went out - which was about 10 months before our wedding.

We were going to make an exception for the bridal party, but it really was only intended for if they started dating someone prior to the wedding..

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Are you giving other single guest (who aren’t in your wedding party) a plus-one option? If yes, then it might be rude to tell your bridesmaid she can’t just bring s buddy. However, if you are not allowing plus-ones, you can kindly explain to her that the gesture was meant for a date/if she happens to be dating someone when your wedding comes along.

Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics