Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie September 2024 Ontario

Bridal party makeup & hair.

Ashley, on November 4, 2019 at 15:02 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 19
Hi Ladies!!

I'm just wondering if any of you are paying for your bridal parties hair & makeup or is everyone paying for themselves?? When I was a bridesmaid in my best friends wedding I paid for my own, but I'm not sure what 'the norm" is.
Also... How freaking stressful is finding a good MUA??!!! I feel like I'm having a harder time with this than anything else lol.

19 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on December 2, 2019 at 16:07
  • Allison
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really appreciated when I was given hair and/or makeup as a gift when I was a bridesmaid, so I will be gifting one or the other, as well as satin PJs to wear on the day of (and maybe a rollerball/travel size of their favourite perfume!) I think if you're requesting they get their hair/makeup done professionally then paying for that is a more useful gift than anything else.

Also, SO HARD to find a good MUA! I found searching Instagram under different hashtags (ie, #NiagaraMUA, #HamiltonMUA, #GTAWeddingMUA, etc)

• Alexandra
    Frequent user February 2022 Quebec
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m paying for one or the other Smiley smile haven’t decided which one yet because I’m still in the process of choosing and pricing it out. I did check in with them though when searching to see what was within their budget
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My roommate from university is a stylist now and is doing the four of us for me. She’s a great friend and a great stylist so I felt super fortunate when she offered
  • Tori
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I plan on paying for both their hair and makeup but it’s part of their gift. I also did proposal boxes so they will only be getting a small gift on the day of the wedding along with hair and makeup.

As for finding them, I spent some time on Instagram and found a hair stylist that I really liked and she was able to give me makeup recommendations of people she has worked with in the past to look at.
  • Danielle
    Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I *intend* to pay for it. It likely won't be their gift though. Apparently some people whine about that.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I paid for my people to have their hair and makeup done and it also doubled as their gift. And omg it’s the worst trying to find a MUA! Just go with your gut and hope for the best.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can give the girls this gift of hair/make up for the day of wedding. This gift can be the same price as giving them itemized gifts.

The decision is your to go based on how much you want to spend and what way of gifting will you choose. We were lucky that our MOHs got a perfume sampler gift as they were hair stylist with one person being a make up artist (husbands coworkers).

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really comes down to your budget and what you want to include as a gift for your girls.

I did pay for mine to have hair and makeup done. It was only $100 for each girl, and they spent about $300 for their dresses, so it was a nice gesture for them!

It was hard to find one that cheap and good for me! Everyone else in the area wanted over $200 per person, it was nuts

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have had my MUA for anther wedding I was in. She is the one I go to when I want to get my hair done professionally. Lucky for me I'm getting married in February and I've been able to give her lots of time so she is available. It was a pretty easy decision.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Generally, if you require your bridal party to have professional hair and make-up, I'd pay for it but if it's optional (i.e. they could do their own if you were ok with that), then they can pay if they choose to have it done.

I gave my girls the option of having it professionally done, which they all wanted, so they paid for their own way.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've always heard that the bridal party pays for their own hair and makeup, but if you want to give a gift to your bridesmaids and you can afford it I'm sure they'd appreciate it!
  • A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes I found this harder then deciding on my venue!!

The few weddings I was in the bride gifted us hair and makeup and both brides allowed us to decide on our own style that suited us. I guess it all depends on your budget. For my MOH I will be gifting her hair and makeup along with a robe or pj’s and some favourite scents from Bath & Bodyworks, but I only have a MOH so it fits my budget to pay for her. Are you planning for someone to come to you or will you be going to a salon? One of the weddings we had our hair done at the salon, then three of us went to MAC. As that is what makeup we used at the time, and the bride had her makeup done by a friend at Visage. It seems a bit weird that we split but it was fine it was only 45mins apart in the getting ready process and the photographer wasn’t there until we got back to the hotel to get dressed. So again it depends on the bride I don’t think there is a right or wrong thing, it is how you want it.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think if you are requiring hair and makeup be done professionally, you are responsible for paying for it. If they can choose whether they want professional hair and makeup or do it themselves you don't need to pay.

My MOH was my 14 year old daughter. We had so much fun getting ready together. I obviously paid for her hair. She doesn't wear makeup so that wasn't necessary.
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think I'm going to surprise them by paying for their makeup, probably not hair thought because I'm going to let them wear it however they want.

I'm just starting to look for MUA and wow I definitely agree that it's pretty stressful. I don't usually have my makeup done by other people because anytime I have had someone else do it it's been very heavy and not my style at all

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're not having a wedding party, but I am paying for my best friend's hair and make up since she's my unofficial maid of honour. But if we had decided to do the whole wedding party thing then we would have offered to pay for either hair or make up and if they wanted the artist to do the other then they would have covered it themselves.

But I had no trouble finding an artist, I messaged about 8 to get an idea on price and only 4 got back to me, and I chose the one that was good at keeping everything looking nice and natural which I'm sure most can do. But her overall portfolio was the one that got my attention the most.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not paying for my girl's hair and makeup because I am not requiring them to have it done. Both of my girls want their hair done, but my MOH is going to do her own makeup and she's really good at it.

The general rule of thumb seems to be that if you require your attendants to have hair and makeup professionally done then you pay, but if it's only an option then it's okay to have them pay for it.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im not paying for my girls. but i know other girls have paid for their BMs hair and makeup as their gift. i dont think theres any norm. i think its to each their own. i went on IG and looked up hair and makeup that i liked and contacted a girl on there and had my trial.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't have our hair and makeup done "professionally" per say - we did our own makeup and one of my BM's/my Husband's cousin's is a hair stylist so she did my hair and a few others.

If we had gotten it all done by an outside source I would have had them pay for it unless it was their gift. But I don't care for the idea of it being their gift because it really mostly benefits the Bride on her wedding day rather than them.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm paying for my sister's hair and make up, and my mom and my grandma. It's part of my gift to my sister.

I think you can decide if you'd like to pay for a part of their hair/make up as your "gift" to them. I think having the bridal party pay for their hair and make up isn't uncommon though.

I found my HMUA through instagram I think. Then I used her for my engagement photos to get an idea of her work, and she was fantastic.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics