Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate
Featured August 2022 Ontario

Bridal Party dress debate!

Kate, on January 16, 2023 at 19:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 15
Hello beautiful people,

Came across this article and thought I'd share : https://www.narcity.com/a-bride-let-her-friends-pick-dresses-for-the-wedding-its-a-love-or-hate-debate-on-tiktok

So question is : would you let your bridesmaids pick out their own dress without any input? Would you be okay with giving a colour and they can pick style? I personally love the look of all one colour and different styles as it does give a united look but I also really love the organic look of them all being completely different but maybe then it can look more like they are guests and not bridesmaids...? Curious to hear what you guys think and what your plans are for your bridal party Smiley heartBridal Party dress debate! 1
Bridal Party dress debate! 2
Bridal Party dress debate! 3

15 Comments

Latest activity by Lisa, on January 25, 2023 at 15:30
  • Lisa
    Curious June 2023 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I told my bridesmaids I wanted them to all be comfortable, and showcase their own styles/personalities.

I asked that they wear little black dresses. I sent plenty of styles I thought were nice, and suggested materials that would compliment my own dress.

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You all sound so crafty! It sounds like whatever you decide, it will turn out beautiful.
  • Joy
    Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia
    Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm hoping to go to a store or two and look at dress options, and then let everyone chose the style as long as it's the same colour, ideally from the same place. They all have such different body types that it would look weird if they were all the same, but I really like the look of the same colour, or at least similar. Like if they all find something that works at David's Bridal, we'll get it ordered in the same colour.

Most of us sew, so it wouldn't be beyond the group to end up making the dresses together if they can't find something that fits right or works with the budget. I like the idea of floral dresses as we'd be doing a garden party dress code, but I haven't seen any purple floral dresses that come in all their sizes.

I also had the idea that if everyone prefers, we can make matching skirts with a floral fabric (a skirt takes me about 3 hours to go from measurements to finished product, we could probably spend a Sunday or two on them if each of us took a station), and then they could each pick a shirt/blouse of their choosing, knowing us, probably go to a thrift store with the skirts and see what looks good. That way it's something they can re-wear, and we can add pockets.

• KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went with the same colour but their style as well for the bridesmaids but for the groomsmen they are all having the same style and colour

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that is fair and pretty common

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We chose the colour but let the bridesmaids picked their own dress. That way they can find something suitable for their own bodies at their own price point.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what I thought, badass yet classy and gets rid of the superstition that black is bad luck at weddings.

Here's to new wedding traditions. Also jealous of some of the black dresses out there.

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Loveeeee black bridesmaid dresses - something so bada$$ looking about it but yet still classy haha! And so considerate of you as well because like you said, they can definitely wear again - a black dress is always great to have in your closet.

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my gosh even better you get to have the first glance at merchandise, perfect! haha

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was me, I wanted my girls Ombre like your last picture but they all wanted to go mulberry.

I then switched ideas and saw all black bridal party and loved it. Since they are paying for the dress, they get to choose whatever style they want. I drop hints here and there, but we will be going shopping closer to the date.

So excited to see what they pick out and you always need a black dress so they will be able to wear again and again. Also told them they did not have to spend crazy amount of money.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same! They were around when I graduated 13 years ago! 🤣 I'm actually thr manager at one ofbthe Laura locations. It. was so great seeing all of the dresses come in before everyone could see them. I sent pictures to my Maid Of Honor as soon as they came in lol even now with all of the occasion dresses for spring are coming in and they're absolutely beautiful!
  • Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did not have a bridal party either and I know! I would find it fun to see what each of them chose and I almost would not even want to see it until the day of so it's even more of a fun surprise haha!

• Kate
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw that's awesome - yea Laura I remember was big for prom dresses when I was in High School and you can still find great formal dresses there!

• Stevie
    Frequent user September 2023 Ontario
    Stevie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m personally not having a bridal party but if I did I would absolutely want them to choose! It’s a nice way to let their personality shine - if they’re standing up there with you, you love their personality and it will make for great memories!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since I only had my maid of honor standing up for me I did let her choose whatever dress she wanted but it had to be navy. We did go to a few dress shops together but in the end she picked one from Laura.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics