Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Newbie May 2023 Ontario

Breaking up with our photographer

Dharika, on November 21, 2022 at 20:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12
My FH and I decided to terminate the contract with our photographer as we were extremely unhappy with the engagement photos. The session was scheduled for an hour but took 45 mins, 15 mins were me changing into my second outfit. We got 17 photos back and there's a few with my FH's eyes closed. I was extremely disappointed. In addition to this he had canceled our original eshoot date the morning of and we had to reschedule for a few weeks later. This isn't a huge deal but I had paid $70 for my nails and had scheduled time for hair and make up. The day of the rescheduled shoot, he didn't want to commute to the original agreed location and said "I'm not driving all the way there if it's going to rain" and didn't consider looking at my Pinterest board of photo ideas that he requested. I wasn't able to cancel the second time around since I had paid again for my nails and then another $150 for my hair and makeup so we went along with the shoot.

After receiving the pictures and being disappointed we decided to find a new photographer and part ways. We were also having a south Asian wedding and no longer felt comfortable with his ability to deliver for our wedding.
I prepared a thoughtful and kind message to let him know of our decision and confirmed that I know the $500 deposit is non-refundable. He was very unhappy and today invoiced me for $338 for the cost of the eshoot (it was complimentary in the package we purchased). I informed him I would not be paying this as I have already paid the $500 and will not pay anymore. He then tried to aruge that the deposit was to hold the date and that under this contract I am not allowed to cancel. This is incorrect as the contract had no termination clause. Additionally the terms of the contract state this specifically "the client agree to pay the photographer a deposit of $500 out of the total package cost at the time of signing".
He is now threatening us by saying we either pay the $338 or the remaining $2000 of the contract or he will "escalate" the matter.
My intention was to part ways in good faith and not leaving a negative review of the company. I'm at a loss and would love some support or thoughts.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Suzy, on March 29, 2023 at 15:13
  • S
    Newbie January 2020 Ontario
    Suzy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Only 17 photos wow. Sorry to hear that. If you looking for someone else I can only recommend Michal https://www.michaljwedding.com/
    We got so many photos ! Way more than expected

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

His reviews will look bad as he is doing this to his clients and showing his unprofessionalism in the market. He wishes to sue for the amount to which he claims he's owed, which he will lose due to the finished result of the photos not to your satisfaction.

He doesn't have the right to refuse your ideas of what you want to have done for the photo poses or to not go where you want for your photo shoot. Your giving him business which he is taking full control of what he wants to do and not for you.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow so unprofessional, let him take you to court, he's going to lose, the only thing you did wrong was hire this guy, he has nothing on you, you have everything against him. Keep the messages and tell him let's go to court. He's trying to scare you, but he will 100% lose no one will side with him, he breached his contract by not giving you the quality photos he promised to provide, plus he is threatening you, no judge will side with him.

• D
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Dharika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks again I really appreciate your thoughts on this it's been stressing me out!
  • D
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Dharika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No we cancelled 6 months prior to our wedding, we are getting married in May!
  • D
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Dharika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for that information! The contract doesn't indicate what the deposit is for only that its required upon signing and the remaining balance is due on x date. It also includes the items included in the overall package. The contract also doesn't include a cancellation clause! I read it over multiple times to make sure I was being compliant before cancelling.
  • D
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Dharika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also as a quick up the photographer in question is not a vendor on wedding wire. I have already found a new photographer and it was night and day in quality of service Smiley smile
  • Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What goes around will come around his day will come
    People are horrible most of the time I’ve learned to always be prepared for the worst but always hope for the best.

I hope you find an amazing photographer and they knock your socks off ❤️
  • D
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Dharika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you it is awful, I really just wanted to end this amicably. I don't think he's a bad photographer in any sense but this reaction is concerning. Hopefully one day I give him a review to warn others. But will not be doing that any time soon, don't want to anger him more.
  • D
    Newbie May 2023 Ontario
    Dharika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! Yeah that's what we are planning to do now. I have connected with a lawyer so I know my rights if he were to sue. It's just unfortunate. Wedding planning is already stressful enough! Never thought this would happen.
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow! that is horrible. I wouldn't even entertain his messages. Block him out. If you've read the contract and you have abided by all terms, then I wouldn't worry about him going to small claims or even trying to get the remaining balance.

• Rebecca
    Expert October 2023 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im so sorry this is happening to you, honestly i would let him fight with himself and just mute his conversations, his threats are just that the worst he can do is take you to small claims court for the 338 and a judge will rule either way be sure to keep copies over everything and leave a review.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics