Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Devoted June 2019 Ontario

Bouquet toss and receiving line

JuneBride, on April 18, 2018 at 08:13 Posted in Wedding reception 0 19

I want to remove the throwing of the bouquet and I can't decided about the receiving line. Every wedding I've been to, including the two I attended last summer had a receiving line. Everyone I know is saying they've never seen a wedding without one. I was wondering how many are getting rid of any of these things and how many are keeping them?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Courtney, on April 19, 2018 at 19:17
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I actually haven't been to a wedding WITH a receiving line, funny how that works.

I think it depends on your wedding. If you're having a large wedding, and won't have time to visit every table, then I would do a receiving line.

If you're having a smaller wedding, where you'll have time to say hi to your guests, then I'd say no receiving line.

We aren't doing a bouquet toss, garter toss or receiving line. Mainly cause we're having a fairly small wedding at 70 people.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're skipping both!

The nice thing about the receiving line is that it gives you a chance to greet all the guests and say "thanks for coming". But, I have seen couples do this during the reception as well. Since the bride and groom are typically the first to eat, once they finish, they head off to each table to quickly chat with the guests. This is our plan.

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not doing a receiving line. I am doing a bouquet toss. I thought that was important. I caught the bouquet at the last wedding ended up meeting my fiancé after and here we are planning our wedding
  • C
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Cathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think receiving lines are sooo 80's!! Lol! Take the time and personally thank your guests who took the time out of their lives to celebrate and share in your special day, make the rounds and make them feel special. It will be something they THEY remember ----- food for thought.
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm only doing it if there us enough space. Also I have a small wedding party and there is just a few younger women who might want to do it. Need to consult my bridesmaids and possibly arrange an alternative.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't want a receiving line as the last 4 I have been to haven't had it. But some of those weddings the people didn't make an effort to even say hi, even when I tried at all. Its one of those things if you don't then make an effort to go to tables and visit. My parents expect it and want it because they feel they won't know people there. However I told them they have time to get to know the family. I have made efforts for them to get to know them and its their turn to make an effort.

• J
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have mixed feelings about it. Every wedding I've been to had it and I know my family is expecting it. Receiving lines are a good way to make sure you thank everyone for coming, but the line up for these things can get long and I would have to make sure we arrive before the guests. Also I'm worried that with 300 people we might not catch everyone to thank them for coming if we visit table to table.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Mags! I skipped the bouquet toss as well, it's a tradition you can easily keep or skip! And instead of a receiving line we did individual table visits throughout the reception to great all of our guests. You don't have to do a receiving line, but you do need to greet every single guest!

This discussion has a ton of comments about the bouquet toss: Keep or Skip: Tossing the Bouquet? And here are two great discussions about receiving lines: Receiving Line vs. Table Visits , and How do you feel about receiving lines?

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing the bouquet toss/garter toss, sort of for tradition, partly because I think I'll regret not doing it, and also for the entertainment.

I really need to look into this receiving line thing... I've never seen one in person... but we are doing all of our photos before the ceremony, and going straight from the ceremony upstairs to the reception (same building)... so I guess it could be an option for us? You've given me something to think about for sure.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No bouquet toss, but I do want a receiving line. It is the one way I can make sure I at least get to see each and every person one on one who comes to our wedding, even if it's only for a few seconds each. I have a fear of missing someone otherwise!

We thought about doing tables at the reception, but the timeline doesn't work - We're doing our speeches during dinner, so going around during that time isn't an option.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m definitely removing the bouquet toss but still undecided on the receiving line.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly every recent wedding I've been to didn't have one. We also decided not to because we don't see the point to be honest. My fiance's aunt is NOT happy about this decision but we are so we are strictly no to it. It's definitely not necessary and it takes up time. You can greet and mingle with guests throughout the reception. Personally I prefer the bride and groom coming to us, makes it seem more personal and I like that.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not doing a receiving line, I’ve been to lots of weddings where they didnt have one. We want to go around the tables at the reception.
  • Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, until you said this I hadn't even thought of a receiving line because the last time I saw one was years and years ago... I'm not sure if your ceremony and reception are in the same space but mine are so we will likely have our officiant announce after the recession that the bride and groom are going to sneak away for some photos - please feel free to head to the other side for a cocktail and some outdoor games and they will be back shortly to get the party started. Then when we get back we will just make our way around to everyone.

We are not doing a bouquet toss - most of our crowd is married and I thought I'd save the money of getting a toss bouquet.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I agree... the guests are there for you guys and your parents, I think having the bridal party on the receiving line is a bit much.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't do either at our wedding. We did however go round the tables during dinner to say hi to everyone and thank them for attending.

• Chloe
    Super May 2018 Ontario
    Chloe ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been to weddings without receiving lines before. The bride and groom just went table to table during the reception to say hi to everyone. That’s what we’ll be doing. It’s faster that way, and you can control how long you talk to each person.
  • J
    JuneBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's what I want to do. I want the receiving line to be just us two and our parents. I've never understood why the bridal party was part of it.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'll be keeping the bouquet toss I have always loved that tradition!

The receiving line I never really thought about... I assume that would be right after the ceremony before the reception?

If you want to pack your bags and head to photos right after the ceremony I'm sure you could! Just make sure you make time during the reception to visit all of your tables and guests!

Also I've heard the receiving line is usually made of the Bride/Groom both sets of parents and sometimes the Bridal party, you could always cut this down to just the Bride/Groom to make it go by faster!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics