Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Black Bridesmaids Dresses? Taboo or too cute?

Lynnie, on July 6, 2018 at 11:05 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 25

What do you think of bridesmaids in all black? Do you love the formal and elegant look, or are you someone who only wears black to funerals?

What's your take on black bridesmaids dresses? Taboo or too cute?

Black Bridesmaids Dresses?  Taboo or too cute? 1Photo from Creative Mind Box in Richmond Hill

Black Bridesmaids Dresses?  Taboo or too cute? 2

Photo by Samuel Goh

25 Comments

Latest activity by Kaisha, on November 23, 2018 at 00:02
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would never have black bridesmaids dresses but I have been to weddings where it worked.

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think Black bridesmaid dresses look great for an elegant affair, black-tie formal wedding. But, also I don't think it would suit a spring or summer wedding. I had a friend use red white and black as her wedding colour in the middle of the summer, but we wore cherry red dresses. I couldn't imagine wearing a black dress in the middle of the summer - too hot!

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't like the black bridesmaid dresses. I save black for funerals. A wedding is a happy occasion so I like fun happy colours!

• Jane
    Frequent user July 2018 British Columbia
    Jane ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Love it! I was so fed up with bridesmaids dresses I was about to tell them all to go buy a black dress and be find with it. Nice thing is everyone can use a black dress again
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not for me but cute!
  • Lindsay
    Curious August 2018 Nova Scotia
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's great , however my maid of honor os on black and my bridesmaids are in red 😊 So I may be biased lol
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why not? Black is classy and easier to match the guys suit colors with as well.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally cute if done right.
    tbh - some dresses that are vibrant colours end up looking drab and depressing if they’re a bad style, ill fitting or aren’t styled right.

• Natalie
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Could be black with a coloured ribbon belt so it’s not an entirely all black ensemble? I think it looks fine either way though. Could get a black dress and just buy a roll of ribbon in the colour you want (one that’ll tie in the brides bouquet or something) and tie it around the waist
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me no. I have a lot of black in my waredrobe but it looks funeralish and a lot of guests wear black to events so it would not make your wedding party stand out. Even my fiancé was debating black shirts with the black suits and the man fitting them just said that’s for funerals in his 35 years of experience.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really dont like them... too much of a dreary funeral vibe even with a bust of colour from the bouquets.
    Just isnt for me!
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love love love them. if we were getting married in the fall. would definitely be doing them. and having a pop of color in the shoes. and in a clutch. and have them carry a clutch instead of a purse.
    also thinks it needs to be a short dress vs long.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do like black, but I feel it gives too much of a funeral vibe. Also if the wedding dress is white then there is a high contrast that I’m not sure I would like in my photos.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think they’re gorgeous if done correctly!
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To me, it feels way too sad for a wedding. But I must say that I hate black in general.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like it. It can be really elegant or a little more causal and looks good on everyone.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like dark dresses, but I personally dont love the black. Gives off more of a funeral vibe to me lol
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's a great colour on the bridesmaids, just not your FMIL or guests who don't believe in the marriage lol

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope nope nope. My older sister is begging me to switch my navy to "just do black dresses"... no. I already picked navy so that they would be flattering/slimming, but I just don't like black for the girls for bridesmaid dresses.

First of all, many guests for a formal winter wedding could wear black, so they wouldn't stand out... and also the guys are in black tuxes with silver accents, so it would be a sea of black....

Nope. I've compromised on a colour that's almost dark enough to be black, but will still catch colour in light/photos.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like it too much! Lol no way would I let them wear a LBD - don't want them to look better than me of course. Black is so slimming and well, everyone looks good in it. Plus I am very very fair/pale so the white dress with white skin vs black dress with tan skin won't help me Smiley tongue

• Jennifer
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've always loved it!! I love black, usually wear all black and even considered doing a black wedding dress for a while. I like the idea of letting them choose their own from a collection so they would all be matching but slightly different. This way each girl gets to pick the style she likes best on her body shape and since it's black she can actually wear it again. Who doesn't want a beautiful classy elegant black dress in a stylethat suits them and that's been altered to a perfect fit. I wish someone would do this when I'm a bridesmaid.
  • Brenda
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me is a pass.... have to consider culture, family and other guests' expectations... Smiley cry

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really love it too! I think it’s very classy looking
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love it! If we were to have a fall or winter wedding then I'd probably have picked black for their dresses. But it doesn't really go with our spring/summer barn wedding.
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I actually love it! I think it's such a contrast between the bride and the bridesmaid that the bride's dress would just POP! Also, you could brighten up the dresses with a colourful bouquet, and it wouldn't look too dark

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics