Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Naomi
Curious September 2018 British Columbia

Black Bridesmaid Dresses?

Naomi, on January 17, 2018 at 21:10 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 11
I was originally thinking of dressing my bridesmaids in purple dresses, and the groomsmen in black shirts and trousers with turquoise ties. The colours that I’ve chosen for my wedding are purple and turquoise. ut I know that my bridesmaids are on a bit of a budget so now I’m thinking about black dresses with purple sashes or shawls to match my colour scheme. I like the idea that a black dress is more likely to be worn again than a purple one, but am concerned that the amount of black in the wedding party could be overwhelming. Thoughts?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Erin, on January 23, 2018 at 08:13
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it will look great! Black is very classic and elegant. As long as you add some colour, it will not seem too somber.

• Cathrine
    Devoted April 2018 Ontario
    Cathrine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing the same with my bridesmaids. Black dresses with purple jewelry and flowers as the accents. Made sure to talk with my florist about ways to make the bouquets pop while still drawing in the colour purple.
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like black in bridesmaids! It is elegant, it is nice and it is something that they can wear again and again on multiple occasions.
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think black dresses with purple accents would look lovely!

And the flowers bring a pop of colour too!

Google some images of black bridesmaids dresses, I think they look great in group photos.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My sister did black for her maids and guys in her wedding and it looked really sharp. Her flowers added pops of colour into the mix. A shawl would be a great way to incorporate colour as well!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You would definitely need to incorporate a splash of colour either with a sash or the flowers or something but as long as you did that it would look good!
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ive been in a wedding where we wore black dresses as bridesmaids and the guys were in black suits. It looked great! I think with a pop of colour it would work very well.

Black Bridesmaid Dresses? 1
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Black dresses with purple would be fine too or accent with white and purple flowers. I'm doing purple (regency) dresses. None of my bridesmaids like the colour but the 2 (best friends from high school) totally get it as it's my fave colour and look fantastic in it. I have one who is protesting 100% of the way and my other bridesmaid who is still on board and says I'm sure I'll wear it again some day. If not they have 2nd hand bridal stores they can go to sell them. It's your day like my friends say.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you'll be fine and it will end up looking pretty classic. The nice thing about black is that its such a great way to make other colours 'pop'. So if you put them with a colourful sash or give them a bouquet with pretty colours that will stand out quite a bit!

If you're worried about too much black you can always look for a grey colour dress as well and put a sash with it.

As ANOTHER side note, I find purple looks amazing on like 99% of people.. so when you go dress shopping I'd still look at purple dresses. I think the girls would be surprised how great they'll look in a gorgeous purple!

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow that didn't even let me finish... So as long as you accent it properly with purple or torquoise I think you should be fine.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think it will be an issue as long as you accent it with the purple or tuqise

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics