Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sherani
Newbie September 2021 Alberta

Big wedding or elopement?

Sherani, on December 22, 2020 at 22:14 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5
Hi everyone,

My fiancée and I are getting married in September 2021 and planned to have a big wedding back in March of 2020. We have done the majority of planning and with COVID we decided if there were no vaccines we wouldn’t go ahead seeing as our parents are very vulnerable. With the vaccine rolling out, this provides a bit more optimism. However, now we are feeling like priorities have changed and feel eloping would be better suited to save on money and other factors. It feels like covid has influenced this decision a bit too but my fiancée wants to ensure I don’t regret the decision to not have my dream wedding if it can actually happen. I’m wondering if anyone else has gone through similar processes in changing their minds of having a big wedding to elopement? How did you navigate this? How did you make a final decision?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 13, 2021 at 12:28
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Big wedding dream not taking place is heartbreaking. It doesn't mean you can't have your day taken away with a small intimate wedding of family and close friends with you. The big celebration can he held in the next year as you plan for an Anniversary party. Another way to celebrate is to have a Vow Renewal for all your guests to be present and still have the rings put on each other again.

Times get tough though we all get through it together as one and keep optimistic. Your day is special no matter what happens.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s a difficult decision for sure. Personally I’ve always dreamed of a big wedding... with that being said, if I could get all my deposits back I’d 100% skip the big wedding and just Elope at this point (mainly cuz we wanna try for a kid soon as the wedding is done lol)
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I do think A LOT of people are feeling this way, including myself. My Fiance is very eager to get married as am I, he wants to do to whatever way easiest and most "sure" - I on the other hand wanted that BIG dream wedding that I have dreamed of since I was a little girl. We had postponed TWICE now thanks to COVID in hopes I would do my dream wedding, and now with the Vaccines rolling out I am very hopeful I might get a slight bit of that opportunity.
    That being said, because we have re-planned twice I know all the effort, emotions, scheduling that comes with it, and we have both agreed that no matter what happens June 18th 2021 we are doing it. If it means we elope so be it, if it means I have 30 people there, then that's a plus, but I am STILL aiming for the DREAM wedding and will wait it out until a month before to decide on what exactly will happen.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think another thing to consider is how much of your money that you paid in vendor deposits can be reclaimed and whether you're on the hook for the balance if you don't fulfill your contract. Eloping for the sake of saving money is great if you actually save money.

Another alternative is to downsize your wedding.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went from about 80 people to 20 and I really loved our wedding. It was just immediate family and our wedding party and we had time to spend time with everyone and not feel rushed or pressured at all. We still did the photos and the dress and the cake. I don't think there is anything I would change that was in our control.

We are hoping to have our bigger celebration next year. We will renew our vows for those who missed them and have a few more wedding traditions that couldn't fit with our small celebration! And if that still can't happen then we will still be happy together without the party.
    Everyone would have individual pros and cons, based on their own wishes but I truly loved our small big day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics