Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jelena
Newbie September 2020 British Columbia

Best shoes for a ballgown?

Jelena, on November 18, 2019 at 13:42 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8

Hi all!

I have my wedding dress which is a full-length ball gown. Wondering what style of shoe is best, closed-toe and or strappy sandal?

Couple of considerations:

1. It can't be too high because I'm not the best in heels so I'm looking for something with a thinker heel as well.

2. I'm also worried about being in that situation where your dress hem gets caught in between your heel and the slingback shoe.

3. The wedding is fairly formal so want to maintain the theme with my shoes!

Please help!

Thanks!

J.

8 Comments

Latest activity by Marcella, on June 17, 2022 at 06:58
  • Marcella
    Newbie November 2022 Quebec
    Marcella ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The easiest option is to buy beautiful high-heeled shoes for the ceremonial part and ask the photographer to take a photo at this time; that is what I did when my wedding was. After all the solemn congratulations, the party started, and I just changed into tennis shoes with https://www.tennisshoez.com , which were in my friend's purse. I love dancing and having fun, and that's why it was important for me to be able to change my shoes and continue the party. I think this is a way out for your situation as well.

Edited by WeddingWire
  • Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really wanted to get nicer shoes mostly for the photos. So I’ll be wearing a pair of Badgley Mishka heels but knowing myself and my bad luck with high heels I will most likely enlist a bridesmaid to bring a pair of socks and sneakers I can change into because I am bustin it down on the dancefloor 😂
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm wearing booties with mine, while my dress is technically a ballgown it's definitely less full then some of them out there.

When I tried it on in store I felt like I was kicking layers of tule out from under me but when I tired it on after picking it up it didn't at all and I haven't even had it hemmed yet!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd go for comfort since no one will see them. You can have sparkly if you want. You can make then your something blue (if you're doing that). I've seen if the sparkly shoes have prongs you should cover them in clear nail polish so they don't get caught in you dress and rip or cause a run in it.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If people can't see them wear whatever you'll be most comfortable in. I bought sparkle Keds so I can walk on cobblestones and dance all night long. Plus our venue has a huge staircase and I'm too clumsy to do that in heels when I can't see my own feet!

Just make sure you decide before getting your dress hemmed.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are people going to see your shoes? i have a ball gown too and it covers my whole foot so no one will see anything i can wear running shoes and no one would know ahha. check call it spring they have a lot of silver and white sparklie flats

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For mine I wore some sneakers for the ceremony and then changed into a peep toe heel and it looked fine - mostly because you can't see the shoes under a ballgown!! lol I would just say that the heel area is best left closed and not a sling/flip flop to avoid what you are talking about.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations on your engagement and finding your dress! My wedding dress was an a-line ballgown (so not as big as yours may be, but it had 4-5 layers.) Anyway, I went with 2.5-3 inch heels. They were thick enough that they were easy to walk in and they had one strap (around the ankle.) I definitely recommend a thicker heel for balance and comfort, and closed toe seemed to work out well for me as I didn't have to worry about my feet moving around.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics