Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Being organized kicked me in the ass

Sarah, on April 19, 2020 at 09:43 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21
Lol does anyone else feel this way?
We began the planning process last year for our Aug 2020 wedding. I contracted all our vendors, got my dress, figured decor and got about 80% of it. Bridesmaids got their dresses as well. Save the dates sent, invitations ordered....

And now there’s a chance we’ll have to postpone. I feel frustrated because I’d rather just elope at this point. But now I feel like we have to go through with the original plans because of how planned it’s already is, money spent, decor purchased etc.
If we waited last minute to do everything then we could easily switch our plans without stress. We’ve been together 10 years so what’s another year right but it also feels like torture with the constant waiting (I’m extremely impatient) lol

21 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on May 4, 2020 at 21:44
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMGGGGGG yes girl hahaha ive had everything done for MONTHS literally waiting on the date... but now im afraid to send my invites in case we need to change our date Smiley sad

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have the same wedding date Smiley smile
    And yeah I feel exactly the same. We are going to figure it out in June. A lot of provinces are starting frameworks to begin lifting restrictions etc so there is a sliver of hope. Whether we stick to our original plans or postpone I’m sure it will be beautiful!
  • Kaitlynn
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Kaitlynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel you. I only had to send invitations and take care of other things (seating, fittings, wedding bands, etc) at this point. I did everything within about 3-4 months last summer. I feel privileged that we are all healthy, still working, and so on, but now that time marches on and things remain "bleak" from a wedding perspective, I'm starting to feel more down. All I wanted was a nice day and everyone I know who has gotten married recently has beautiful photos and memories. That's all I wanted and now it won't happen the way I envisioned. It feels selfish and I haven't voiced these thoughts to anyone. But it does feel "unfair" in a way, although that's just life sometimes. Still haven't made a final decision yet (Aug 29).

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m sorry to hear, but I am certain your new plans will be just as lovely and beautiful.
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know how you feel, its definitely frustrating. Our wedding is August 15 and we have so much invested and most of our decorations are down in our spare room. Yesterday we came to the decision that we are probably going to postpone everything to next year. That being said, we are still getting married this year in a small ceremony. Its a crappy feeling because so much hard work and time went into planning everything perfectly and now its sort of falling apart.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think you’re right, thank you
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    All the hard work put into the planning and effort did pay off well and eloping may not make it worthwhile losing the deposits and payments. Its a hard accepting time for lots of couples including yourselves dealing with this pandemic taking place.
    Postponing the date seems better without losing the costs and everything else done. Just a simple email or social media message about postponing will allow your guests to adjust their dates on their end as they would feel frustrated to lose their trip if they can't fly out then.
  • T
    Beginner August 2020 Alberta
    Tia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel the exact same way girl!
    We got engaged July 2018 and basically started planning not long after and booked things as far in advance as we possibly could! Our wedding is August 8, 2020. It is frustrating because I would just say screw it and elope and move on with our lives but the fact that our spare room has a bunch of decorations that I’ve put my time into and a lot of money/deposits spent, I just can’t. No matter what happens here we are going to get married on our date, and move our reception to a later date. We have been together 8.5 years and quite frankly I don’t want to wait any longer. None of our vendors have contacted us to move anything yet which is a good sign. Our plan right now is to wait until June (or of course unless people start contacting us to move things) to make a decision. I think that by August we will be okay to go ahead, the world won’t be able to stay in social isolation much longer here before people start going crazy, it’s just not possible to keep the world shut down for that long. Anyways that is my opinion, and I wish you the best of luck!!
  • V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I completely know how you feel! We got engaged July 2018 and planned for nearly two years! We were so excited because since we were so organized and early with all our vendors we always got first choice for all our dates and vendors! Now the tables have definitely turned, and it sucks. We’ve postponed to September 2021.
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sucks eh. May is our unofficial backup as well
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds a lot like us too. At least you saved on decorations!! That’s one of the things I’m annoyed about. Deposits I can deal with the loss but the decorations... ugh lol
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm totally kicking myself for sending save the dates. I didn't want too, then I stumbled upon a sweet deal and figured we might as well get a few for friends and family. If we hadn't sent them in February we could have quietly changed our plans and we wouldn't need to reach out to people and hear how sorry they are for us about the whole thing (which I'm shockingly ok with).

Like you I got a lot done early on, to the point that I wondered if we should have moved our wedding to spring 2020 instead of fall. Now I'm torn by being glad I didn't change it but also feeling like we will end up postponing/eloping too. I'm trying to look on the bright side that I have a dress that fits, and that our deposits aren't an enormous amount if we lose them. I was *days* away from a decor shopping trip in the states with my mom when my province advised against leaving NB. I would have dropped a lot of money on decorations for a bridal shower that probably won't happen, and picked out things for centerpieces that I would be storing for 18 months.

• Ally
    Beginner May 2021 Ontario
    Ally ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally hear you. My fiancé and I have been together for 10 years as well and we were suppose to get married at the end of July. However I finally realized that wasn’t going to happen with this virus and now we’ve decided to postpone our wedding until May 2021.
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel you. I had good luck where everyone was pay on the day. I canceled the venue because we found a better and cheaper one but I cant book that venue till restrictions are lifted. I haven't heard anything from the officiant or anything yet so fingers crossed everything lifts soon Smiley sad
  • Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You are soooo right. Thank you for making me feel better. It’s true, who predicted a global disaster.. lol
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You are totally right, I think we are all in a funk right now. Our vendors have been very accommodating so far given the circumstances.
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally feel this. I also tried to be proactive, line up vendors early, etc. Luckily everyone was really accommodating when it came time to put Plan B in motion, so FH and I came out more or less unscathed financially.
    Try not to beat yourself up for being organized though! Hindsight is 20/20. And who could have predicted this?! I think early prep pays off in 99.9% of cases (I.e. where a global catastrophe has not ground the wedding industry to a halt). And it may still for you too! If you do end up having to postpone and decide to go that route, vendors may be even more inclined to accommodate the change due to the relationships you’ve built. Anyway, fingers crossed it doesn’t come to that!

• Arexy
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Arexy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I did the same as you! I planned very quickly and months and months in advance. I’ll tell you this... when I first realized I might have to postpone our September wedding, I thought screw that let’s just elope. But after coming to terms with it, the idea to postpone now excites me. So give yourself a chance to feel what you’re feeling before you make the decision to elope or not.
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m the same way but honestly stay optimistic Smiley smile aug is still 4 months away. Here’s to hoping it’ll start getting better in the next month or so
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel the exact same!!!! We started planning last August for our May wedding and I had everything good to go in 3 months. Then we had to postpone a month before our wedding..... 💔

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah this was me also LOL 😂 I tried to be so organized and ready to go and now it’s like I hope I can get these deposit monies back!

Ahhh such is life. I guess the good thing is - if it’s happening you’re good to go. And if it doesn’t, I’d hope cause you booked earlier you’d get the first pick of new dates or they’d be more open to working with you for your new date.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics