Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sydney
Newbie June 2022 Ontario

Barn Weddings

Sydney, on July 24, 2020 at 17:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 5
Hi everyone! We recently started looking for venues for our wedding and were thinking about doing a rustic barn in early june. My question is when you have a open barn like that are the bugs and heat unbearable? Is it better to have a completely indoor recreation? Thank you!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on July 29, 2020 at 20:17
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Barn weddings are great though bugs and mosquitos are to watch out for humid temperatures. Heat lamps large size may be a solution to keep them away and citronella candles as mentioned. Inquire with the venue to see if they do allow these solutions. There are barns in the north that do have great packages with rooms for guests.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was in the wedding party of a barn wedding. We remembered to put sunscreen and bug spray on, but the bride didn't want any. She finally let me very carefully put sunscreen on her before we left. She and the groom and the groomsmen were eaten alive by blackflies and mosquitoes. I remember watching her get bitten during the vows and there was nothing we could do (the one time you really can't smack a bug off someone!)

I would ask the venue about citronella candles if they're allowed, and make sure you have bottles of sunscreen and bug spray either a few in one spot or one on each table.
  • Sarah
    Curious July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Check out Stonewall Estates. They have the rustic barn feel and they structure the day so that there is shade available and then you can escape any pesky bugs in the closed barn at night.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a friend who went to a barn wedding and they got eaten. Mosquitoes love the smell of beer and our friends had a good time so they were quite the buffet for the bugs. It can be an issue if you’re not able to keep them out of the barn, but some places do have contained barns that would help with that issue.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You'll get humidity during the day and bugs at night, especially if you're near water. If those two things are big no's for you, I would reconsider.

Have you consider some local wineries instead? They usually have buildings that can work with the rustic feel you're looking for.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics