Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jillian
Frequent user September 2022 Ontario

Bargining with vendors

Jillian, on November 26, 2018 at 13:32 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 14
Which vendors were you able to bargin with? And did you go about doing so.
We are planning our wedding early and hoped to be able to bargin a bit but not sure which vendors it would work with and dont want to seem sillly!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Tyanna, on December 17, 2018 at 00:31
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally dont agree with bargaining on anything when it comes to vendors. The way I see it, this is how people make their living and I reaaaaalllly hate when people try to bargain with me at my job because it makes me feel like they don't think I'm worth it to them, which ultimately drags me down.

If its something really important, I try to fit it in to my budget. If I cant find it in the budget, it's unfortunately just not meant to be!
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I tried with all of my vendors and none of them would budge in price 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been able to bargain with most of my vendors. I had an amount of money that I wanted to spend at each, and I would ask questions about what we could change in order to lower the price. With that being said, it didn't work with all of my vendors (florists), but some things need to be splurged on a little lol.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've bargained with the reception hall and with the cake maker so far, but I think that's only because both involved food. I would be reluctant to try to bargain with photographers or decorators.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't do a ton of bargaining. but I also knew certain things I wasn't willing to pay over a certain price.

I also did some price shopping before settling on someone. that way at least I knew I was getting a fair deal on things.

around here a lot of vendors are willing to do cash deals and you save the taxes that way. which can be HUGELY helpful.

I found decorators were usually pretty good about negotiating. especially if you get everything from them (originally I was going to get tablecloths from my venue. they just do a basic short one. most of the decorators did a better deal with everything in).

I also found a fair amount of vendors will work within a budget if its reasonable. my florist said bridesmaids bouquets can be 70-120 each (all depending on size/flowers/imports etc). when we went over flowers and what I want. and asked if it can be between 50-70. she is making it work.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bargained with one photographer (and trying to bargain with another) but I am just getting quotes right now!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bargained with all my vedors to make a cash deal except for the venue. Vendors include photographer, videographer, DJ and decor. Bakery charges flat as always.
  • Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats what I was thinking too! But wanted to see others opinions Smiley smile

• Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did not bargain at all. Kind of wish I did but I feel like all of my vendors are pretty busy and don't need my business because they can just book someone else! Largely due to the fact that I have a Saturday wedding too.

• Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great thanks! We got $100 off our photos because we wont be doing an engagement session.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't bargain much, but booking early will save you money! I got a lot of 2018 rates for my 2019 wedding because of when I booked since it was cheaper.

Also ask about add-ins, I got my photo booth $100 cheaper because my DJ can provide that service and I booked it when I booked the DJ.

Also if there's a package and there are some stuff you don't want, you might be able to get that item removed and a cheaper rate.

• Jillian
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Great thanks!

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I didn’t really bargain too much. I understand that it’s how they make a living and I realize I wouldn’t want to work for a low wage and I’m sure they don’t want to either.

What i did do though was ask if they could include small things, for example our venue is only charging 1/2 the rate to rent the room for our ceremony (we are having ceremony and reception at the same place). And they are throwing in a few other little extras that doesn’t cost them much to provide, like some decor items, and setting up some of our decor for us. And they let us supstitute a couple things for our meal that would normally cost a few dollars more.

I find it easier to ask if they will include extra things versus asking for a discount. For example you could ask the florist or baker if they would include delivery. But be prepared for them to say no.

Anothet option is telling vendors your budget and asking what they could provode for that price.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pretty much with everyone ahaha!! I would just ask or tell them what my budget is (honestly) and it was a yes or no answer! People are generally willing to try and work within your budget or if not just go with someone else who is!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics