Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katie
Newbie September 2023 Ontario

Baking your own cake

Katie, on November 12, 2022 at 19:34 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 4
Anyone who knows me knows I love to bake. Wedding cakes are expensive and my partner and I just want a single tier to eat together. Our guests will have a different dessert.
Has anyone baked their own cake or thought about it? Any advice would be helpful.

4 Comments

Latest activity by Joy, on November 25, 2022 at 13:43
  • Joy
    Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia
    Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I thought about it, but decided if I had to DIY one thing, it would be my outfit for the day. I'm planning to give a recipe to a friend who is much better at decorating. I made my mom's (second marriage) wedding brownies when I was a teen with the help of an aunt, and some friends to make chocolate flowers, but it was a lot of work, and I can't imagine putting myself though trying to get something perfect with such a small window of time. At least with sewing, I can make something and it could sit there for months if it has to, or have last minute safety pins if I fall behind.

If you have a particular recipe or type of cake you want, finding someone to use that instead would be a lot less stressful.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh we had a baker not too long ago about this exact subject, doubting it. they were going to freeze it and have someone take it out the day of the wedding. If you have the time go for it, also adds a special touch.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Baking is your thing and peace of mind, make your own cake. There isn't anything wrong with the way you make it since you will be cutting it for the photos. It also is saving you money which works out great.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I bake on the side and debated it. However, everyone told me I was crazy and not to add the extra stress - also I would have to do it too many days before. I also dreamed of a 3 tier cake so... a lot more work. I don't regret my decision - the cake was so important to me. I really wanted something I'd never have the patience to do myself. I think if you're doing something simple and small go for it but if it has to be done too long before the wedding you're running the risk of serving a stale cake. Think about all the things you'll have going on that week - can you add that to your plate (no pun intended haha)?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics