Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie September 2021 Ontario

Backyard Wedding Florals

Alexandra, on April 20, 2021 at 16:52 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 6

Hi everyone!

Just looking for some opinions on what I should do since I feel like I've exhausted my family and friends about my ideas and worries with the current situation.

On September 3rd 2021, we are having the ceremony at a small church and then the reception outdoors at a family cottage that's across the lake. Getting engaged in December 2020 we knew that if we were to have the wedding in 2021 we would be restricted to around 50 people so we made our guest list super small (28) with family members and friends that are important to us. Although even now that number is too high for a 'backyard' wedding but that's a whole other discussion.

I've always wanted to have tons of flowers at my wedding, floor arrangements, celling pieces and my FH is a big foodie so we saved majority of our budget for food and flowers... but now that I'm in contact with a florist and have to give them numbers of arrangements etc. and inspiration for my ideas I'm not so sure if it's worth it anymore.

I would still have the table centrepieces, bouquets and boutonnières and other necessary things, but am hesitant about the additional things like floor arrangements, garlands on posts and tables etc. The outdoor space is huge so I had lots of fun ideas to create different zones for the night but I just don't know anymore for only 28 people will it look too over the top? I also don't want to have regrets about not just going for it.

What are your thoughts? What would you do?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Tracy, on May 20, 2021 at 10:44
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations!

Great time of year to see if your family will do some planters (peonies, mums etc.) at the cottage. Plus to help control mosquitos these plants help repel them: lavendar, marigolds, scented Geraniums, lemon balm, citronella.

Contact local farms and markets to see what they will have, you can hang bottles with twine from trees with a few stems of flowers (sunflowers, zinnias, glads, etc.).

This will add colour, give you simple elegance and still get your flowers you want.

Add in some string lights, fairy lights, citronella candles, let go paper lanterns later and at the cottage who doesn't love sparklers! Smiley smile

• A
    Newbie September 2021 Ontario
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much! That's a great idea, I've always wanted outdoor lights for our backyard so I can even justify buying some. Plus can't go wrong with extra lighting!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your floral ideas can come from making a layout to know what you want done and how much of it so you can let your florist know for ordering. The cost will vary on what you get out of season if your okay with it along with the season flowers.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you're okay with the cost then I think it's completely fine to spend a lot even for a smaller wedding. But I also totally understand not wanting to spend thousands of dollars on a smaller wedding. I guess it just depends on whether you think you'll regret not going all out with the florals if it's something you could have afforded.

Have you considered whether there are any alternatives to flowers that would be less expensive but still give you the same look or feel? Since you want different zones maybe you could go all out on the florals for one but then do another with lots of lights or less expensive greenery?

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with the previous response! We did florals twice (about half our order for our small legal ceremony on our original date and then the all of them for the wedding) and at first I couldn't believe what we paid for florals for a 10 minute ceremony in the park (winter with no snow just ice...) but we have zero regrets! We also kept reminding ourselves how much more the wedding would have cost if it had the original guest list 😅. So much compromise and things we cannot have - if it'll make you happy, absolutely go for it.
  • Alison
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Alison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If flowers are important to you and you had a vision and it's in your budget, I say go for it. Yes, it's only 28 people, but it's still your wedding day. Covid has taken away so many things from us brides and grooms, if flowers will bring you joy on your wedding day I'm all for it Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics