Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Expert July 2018 Alberta

Avoiding awkwardness - hoping for cash gifts

Marina, on November 14, 2017 at 01:35 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18
Hey all,
My fiancé and I decided not to have a registry, as we will probably be changing province in a few years, due to our jobs.
The question is, is there any way to put on the website that we will be accepting only cash, without looking cheap or forceful?

18 Comments

Latest activity by Marina, on November 15, 2017 at 09:14
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see Laura. I decided not to do a bridal shower, as it is really not a thing back in Europe. Thank you for your help Smiley smile
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That makes total sense. So far, I never had to travel for a wedding, which makes it easier for me. I hadn’t really thought about the gift in case I had to change provinces for instance.
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Honestly, we are not registered. I am having a shower and on the invitation we put “monetary gifts are appreciated” to let people know that there is no registry.
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In my opinion, it is always tacky and I think rude to ask for money. You don't have to have a registry, but if you don't put anything at all on your invite, it's just assumed.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are also on a budget but really just trying to keep it to what we can afford (no more than $8000) and not rely on gifts. Any money we do get will go straight towards our honeymoon.
    I feel $150 is a very generous gift.... I never give that much and honestly with the amount of weddings i have attended the last couple years (and how much travel costs have been to attend those weddings) i cant afford to give $150 per wedding Smiley atonished
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the detailed message Andrea. I️ also tend to think that it might be rude or what, and this is far from my intentions so I️ will probably shut my mouth ^^
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your response Maegan! Leaning towards not writing anything and just see how it goes. However every time I go to a wedding I give a minimum of 150$, and have seen many people not giving anything, which scares me a lot, as my fiancé and I️ are on a budget
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that generally speaking, when there is no registry info listed, people default to cash. We didn't have a registry for our wedding and everyone gave money except one couple who gave an actual gift. I will say that we did receive an invite to a wedding recently where the couple asked for money to fund their house buying venture. As a homeowner, I get that that is a huge expense, but it felt a bit tacky to list that on your wedding invitations since most people give money anyhow. Just my 2 cents. You could also pick a travel voucher to list as your preferred gift so people know you are looking to subsidize your travel expenses when you move without directly saying that.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see. Then probably I should not write anything?
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Erin!
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your help Sasha!
  • Cynthia
    Curious August 2018 Ontario
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You read my mind! I was wondering the same thing also!! Moving to the Netherlands (my fiancé is Dutch) so it made no sense to have a registry but I was too nervous about what our guests might think about the money only gift. We were just going to word it in our invitations in a way that it does not seem forceful but greatly appreciated.

• Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I havent really put my mind to it yet to think about it much. We Might just put a blurb on the invitations about "no gifts are expected but we would love help with our travel expenses". Might do sething a bit more clever with the wording than that though hahaha. Wearetraveling in europe for about 6-8 weeks for our ho eymoon so its gonna bit a bit pricey! I honestly will not be offended though if people show up empty handed.
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We didn't have a registry and we didn't say anything about it and everyone just automatically gave us money. I think it is generally accepted that if there is no registry, give money. If someone is wondering, they can always ask and then you can tell them what you prefer.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think most people these days give cash. We had a registry and most people still gave us cash.

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't have a registry either, we wanted either cash or travel vouchers. On our website we had a separate page explaining that instead of a registry if people felt inclined to get us a gift they could get us a trip central gift card.

I'd say less than a quarter of our guests had seen that page and got us gift cards and the rest of the people who didn't see a registry or see the gift card page just got us cash.

All this to say that typically if people do not see a registry they will usually just give cash as the cash is technically supposed to be the cost of their plate at dinner. So you could just not put anything and people will more than likely bring cash rather than nothing at all. We didn't have a single guest not give anything despite us not really announcing we wanted cash or gift cards.
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Maegan, do you have any ideas so far? I really do not want to come off as rude or what. I come from Europe, and it is SUPER expected there that you donate money, however I am not sure what’s the situation here, and I really want to avoid awkward moments where someone comes empty-handed or what.
  • Maegan
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    **following because we also will have no registry, but would accept cash to help with our honeymoon.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics