Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jacqueline
Newbie June 2019 Ontario

Average costs

Jacqueline, on January 31, 2018 at 14:37 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 92
Hey Ladies!
I am newly engaged and I am looking at venues and caterers etc. I have NO CLUE what an average cost is per plate for people or for a venue etc.

I do not know what a decent budget is for a wedding etc.

What was the cost per plate at your wedding?
What was the cost or percentage of your budget that you spent on your venue?

92 Comments

Latest activity by Elizabeth, on February 17, 2020 at 23:24
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user August 2022 Alberta
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have ours for $35 a plate for 125 ppl! 😄
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I recommend checking out Hotel X also. Its next to Liberty Grand, just a little more pricey, but their spaces are stunning!

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’re also getting married @ Liberty Grand 😃I think ours is closer to $160-170. Pricey but it depends on what you’re looking for. We also found a venue where food and booze would’ve been close to $15 000 total but I was not down for the venue. I’m only getting married once (hopefully) and I’m fortunate enough to have a slightly bigger budget. Other things that will eat up your budget are video/photography ... in my opinion photo (and video if you care enough) is something you shouldn’t cheap out on. I’ve had a few friends choose photographers on the lower spectrum and unfortunately they weren’t happy with the end result.. it sucks because you only have one shot at the wedding .. it’s not something you can re- do lol. So some things to think about Smiley smile
  • Nancy
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Nancy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Does anyone have any pricing on just the caterer? The alcohol we can buy ourselves, so the comments with bar and food doesn't help me. We paid for the venue separately, and the alcohol would be separate. I would just need the caterer price. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Nancy
    Newbie October 2020 Ontario
    Nancy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How many guests?

• Natasha
    Newbie April 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Many thanks!!! 🙏🏼 I called and booked an appointment to get prices and see the venue next weekend!
  • S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey! This is at Liberty Grand in Downtown Toronto! Smiley smile

• Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey! Do you mind to tell me the venue name? Currently shopping for the same value. Thanks In advance! 😊
  • Natasha
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey! What venue is this? I’m looking right now and I can’t find anything with this type of pricing. Thanks in advance!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

40% of our budget is just our venue food and booze and were getting married next summer. you can bring down the venue cost by getting married off season or on a friday or sunday you get can get prices for around $50 pp including food and booze!

• Catherine
    Frequent user July 2020 Quebec
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It really depends on where you live and the type of place you go to. You could have your reception at a restaurant and pay 50$ pp for a great meal, or you could go to a super fancy country club/golf course and easily pay 150pp. I would see how much your overall budget is for food, what is the least amount of people you would feel happy inviting, as well as the most, and that will give you your per person budget approximately. Don't forget to account for taxes and service fees! Shopping around and visiting venues will help you decide what you want/like and how much it costs. Our venue is 145pp before taxes and fees, which is on the expensive side, but we are having a smaller wedding to compensate because we couldn't imagine getting married elsewhere. 😊
  • Brittney
    Beginner December 2019 Ontario
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey there what was your venue, if you don’t mind me asking?
  • Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey there if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the name of this venue?
  • Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey there Christine, what hall is this if you don’t mind me asking?
  • Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey there yes where did you get this place for $38.00/pp
  • Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey there! What venue did you use? We would love to spend that amount
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We got married at Windermere Manor in London, ON but sadly they are only doing weddings until December 2020 and then doing only corporate events after that 😢
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It depends on the Venue you choose, and what you would like to have.

We are getting married at The Vue, and have a cost of $125/pp that includes open bar and 3 course meal, along with Ordeurves.

• Lindsay
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Candace, where was your venue? Your budget is very close to mine and I’m having a hard time researching! Any help is welcomed Smiley smile
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did not acutally spend anything on our venue. We just had to spend a certain amount at the venue on food and drinks. Our cost per plate was around $35-40 and that covered wine and the amount we needed to spend.

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First off a decent budget is what you can afford. So start there, look at your expenses each month and see what is left that you can put into savings for your wedding. You can make your wedding beautiful and memorable anywhere. My best advice is to try not get caught up in trying to impress everyone else, do what is good for you and your SO. We are having a night time ceremony and cocktail reception to follow.

• T
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Tricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where in Alberta did you have it?!

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are having it at Windermere Manor in London. They have a restaurant on site that is catering the wedding Smiley smile
  • J
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Juliette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Candace,

Could you share what venue you are having the wedding and what caterer you are using?

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Have you thought of your guest number yet? That's probably a good start. The fewer guests, the cheaper. People who have around 100 guests tend to spend $15,000 on the venue +/- catering depending on the venue.

For me, I am only having 22 guests. We have some minimum requirements that we have to meet for food/beverage. This brings us to around $150pp. The venue cost is 37% of our budget.

Our original budget was less than $8000, and we are closer to about $14,000 Smiley amazing

Our wedding is an off peak season and it's on a Monday to save costs.

• Emma
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiancé and I are getting married on an off peak day (Friday) during an off peak season. If you are wanting to save money, check out the venue you are looking at and see if they have off peak days/seasons. It will definitely help cut the cost down. The particular venue we chose is $105 per plate (we also decided to only have one meat option and a vegetarian option to save money) not including any drinks/bar packages. The rest depends on how many people you are thinking of inviting! The venue definitely made up a large portion of our budget. Fortunately, we are also able to have our ceremony at the same location - which would save you money in transportation!

• S
    Frequent user March 2021 Ontario
    Stiffra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The cost per plate at our wedding is just under $140 per person + HST + 18% facility management fee. This includes a 4-course plated dinner, upgraded open bar, table-side wine service during dinner, a late night savoury station, champagne toast, and cake cutting service fees.

Additional venue-associated costs that are outside of the per person costs include audio and visual, parking, lighting, etc.

We're fortunate enough that a huge portion of our budget is provided by our parents and they pretty much covered 85% of the costs associated with our venue + catering + beverages. Overall, the percentage of our budget spent on the venue is about 50% but it's also what we wanted to spend most of our wedding budget on.

Our next big things that a significant chunk of our budget would go to would be: photography & videography (we were told by numerous people not to go cheap on these!) + floral and décor design (we're opting not to DIY anything because we just don't have the skill-level to execute what we want).

So you can probably tell by these responses that overall budget really depends on things like the number of guests you're inviting, where you'd like to have your wedding, the season, etc. Hope this helps!

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on your package..

Ours is a 5 course dinner, snacks during cocktail hour, champagne and cake cutting by staff as well as the open premium bar and its $150 a person.

No venue fee. I think that's more than reasonable.. We could have done cheaper but with no venue fee we figured we would pick the highest/best package.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are with Windermere Manor in London, ON Smiley smile

• A
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's so great what venue are you with?
  • Allison
    Frequent user June 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I don't mind at all, it is Snow Valley who is doing the catering they offer in-house if you wanted to call it that. Their pricing is online but I don't think they work with other venues. There is a cheaper package as well around $40 a plate.

A girl I work with went with Casal Catering and I believe it was a good price per person as well.

Hope this helps (:

• Caitlin
    Beginner January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm getting married outside of Barrie also, who is your caterer if you don't mind me asking? We are looking now and that is a good price!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics